PDA

View Full Version : Getting close to getting a 250r

Xpress
09-21-2010, 01:41 AM
I was browsing CL the other day when I saw an AD for a nice 1985 250r. The guy said in his description he was looking for cash, or a good solid running 2 wheeler, so after exchanging a few emails, it sounds like he is interested in my 83 XR200R with 218cc stroker (which is in excellent condition), to the point where it sounds like he wants to check it out.

What should I be looking for on the 250r if this does go through? I want to make sure that I comb the trike before I decide to make a trade, as I don't want to get screwed with a machine that I will regret having (it's a 250r, what is there to regret? :naughty: ).

harryredtrike
09-21-2010, 01:51 AM
well if its has original equipment and looks decent(taken care of) you may be safe.if its beat down cracked and broke and leaking oil well maybe not.everything is rebuildable so how bad do you want it,lol.

Shorty
09-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Arrgh! If only I could find that that stupid stock motor at one of these salvage then I could trade for that stroker motor.

Iprefer3
09-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Frame cracks, running condition of engine (listen for piston slap). check drain plug. bring a mirror to look at the underside of the bike. check swingarm for cracks, look for built up oil around the motor. bring a compression tester if ya have one and the guy doesn't mind. But remember you can talk yourself out of anything and bikes usually always need something. Good luck. Oh ya fork seals.

atcrider1
09-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Arrgh! If only I could find that that stupid motor at one of these salvage then I could that stroker motor.

??????????

Xpress
09-21-2010, 11:59 AM
^Shorty wants to trade me engines, because i'm looking for something that is easier to start on the trails.