PDA

View Full Version : What happens if I swap out the factory 11t sprocket for a 14t sprocket?

bobotech
09-20-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm not even sure if the 14 tooth sprocket will work, but my 11T sprocket is wiped out big time. Its not just worn, all of the teeth are broken off. Ouch. This is on my Yamaha YT125 to 175 swap. The 125 engine was seized when I got it so I am doing the swap. The 175 doesn't have a sprocket on it so I need to replace it.

My local shop has a 14t sprocket instock but not sure if that would work. If I go to the 14t, will I be able to reuse my old chain or would I have to buy a new one?

Eric250R
09-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Is the 14t even for a yt ? If it is, you will lose bottom end and gain top end. Your chain should work if you loosen it up.

ktmbk
09-20-2010, 09:35 PM
If I remember correct going one tooth up on the front is similar to going down three teeth on the rear sprocket. Depending on what you are tyring to do, changing gearing, done correct you can gain acceleration sacrificing top speed or vice-versa. You have to think of the end result when playing with gearing. Three teeth extra on the front seems really big, most people do one or two on the rear, maybe one on the front. Befor you do change it think: if it fits, do you want the results? can the bike's engine pull it? And if it can - is it rideable for you?
I would say to try and get something close to stock. If you were putting in alot of work into the engine to add HP, or wanted to wake up the bike a little, then maybe play with different gearing on the sprockets. Otherwise it's best not to mess with it.
If you do get new sprockets get a new chain. All three wear together and best made new together. Replacing one without the other would accelerate wear on the new one.

Dirtcrasher
09-20-2010, 09:57 PM
It would be a dog off the line, require a longer chain and wind out at top end at a faster speed. 11-14 is a VERY drastic change.....

fabiodriven
09-20-2010, 10:08 PM
First of all, the right sprocket isn't going to cost you any more money so why would you waste your money on the wrong one?

Ultimately, that 14 tooth sprocket MIGHT work, if it fits on the bike. More than likely your chain is not going to be long enough so you're going to need a new chain if you go with that sprocket. Like somebody else said, it's best to replace both sprockets and the chain all at the same time.

I don't know if you're cutting corners because you don't know better or if you just can't afford to do it the right way. I can understand if you don't have the money to do it right, especially in this economy. The only right way to do this is to replace both sprockets and the chain and use the right number sprockets.

bobotech
09-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Well what about going to 12t? The shop can order me a new 12t but they can't find the 11t. The problem is my 11t is destroyed big time.

Will going to 12t from 11t still give me okay off the line?

fabiodriven
09-20-2010, 10:59 PM
You will notice the difference. If they can't get the right one, go somewhere else.

bobotech
09-20-2010, 11:38 PM
The thing is that I'm changing the engine from a 125 to a 175 so I wonder if the extra tooth won't make as much of a difference.

harryredtrike
09-21-2010, 01:19 AM
always change sprockets(both) with a new chain.you shouldnt ever change only one with older equipment.do it all at once and be done for a couple of years.dont skimp on chains.thats how you lose cases