PDA

View Full Version : need info on older yamaha 3 wheeler

toolmaan
09-17-2003, 10:52 PM
A friend gave me a older yamaha 3 wheeler. I have no info on this 3 wheeler. The only way I know it is yamaha is because is says yamaha on the front mud flap. I see no numbers on it to tell me what year or model. It is yellow I'm guessing it is from the early 80's. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to find out what year it is, and what model. I need to figure this out so I can order parts for it. Thank you for any help anyone can give.

3forlife
09-17-2003, 11:23 PM
Welcome, first check the ads section of this site. See if you can match what you have with one of the pics of the Yamaha trikes. Does it have front and/or rear suspention? Does it have shaft or chain drive? Also check on the neck of the frame and see if the model or year is stamped on there. Hope that helps.

bigred110
09-17-2003, 11:29 PM
Do you know if it's a 2 or 4 stroke?
Does it have front suspension?
Look on the front steering stem and tell us the first 3 number. (it tells the year and model of it.)
Does it have gas tank cover.
Does it look the pic below.

http://hometown.aol.com/sbraggr/images/tri6s.jpg

plkmonster2
09-18-2003, 12:14 AM
tire size? chain or shaft drive?? single piece seat and fender or just a seperate fender and seat???

jeswinehart
09-18-2003, 06:39 AM
i am sure yamaha puts their frame serial numbers on the left side, down by the left footpeg ,,, just in front of it.

john

Howdy
09-18-2003, 07:36 AM
i am sure yamaha puts their frame serial numbers on the left side, down by the left footpeg ,,, just in front of it.

john

Only on Golf Carts John. They put them on the steering neck ( behind the headlight on 3 wheelers. ;)
Howdy

toolmaan
09-18-2003, 07:50 AM
It looks just like the pic Bigred110 showed. The numbers off of the front frame are 4u3-010203 this same number is on the engine. it is chain drive. pull start. no shocks or suspension. The seat is attached to the big rear cover. gas tank is upfront with a cover over it. there is also some sort of rear tank on the left rear. I don't know what goes in there. I assume this is a 2 cycle. What kind of fuel oil mix shoud I run? This thing has been sitting about ten years, I am trying to get it running. Thanks a lot.

bigred110
09-18-2003, 07:56 AM
It's a 1981 yamaha 125 Tri-moto 2 stroke.
Mine is a 82 175.

bigred110
09-18-2003, 08:01 AM
there is also some sort of rear tank on the left rear. I don't know what goes in there. I assume this is a 2 cycle. What kind of fuel oil mix shoud I run?

Thats your oil tank. You put 2 stroke oil in it and mixes with the gas. I don't have it on mine so I just mix it. Mixing is also a little safer then using the oil tank.
32-1 is always a good base line. Get a ratio rite(measuring cup for your mix). You just fill the oil up to the ratio that you want and mix gas.

toolmaan
09-19-2003, 07:50 PM
Well I took the oil tank off plugged the line, pulled the carb and cleaned it out pulled the gas tank cleaned it out added 32:1 oil/gasmix. Now I got it to run and it runs well, but I can't get it to move. I checked the oil in the trans and it looks good,level is ok and is clean. I am assuming this is some kinda of centrifugal clutch?? Anyone know what speed this is a 2 or 3 speed? Do these have clutch problems? I can get it into what I think is 2 gears manually, but in either gear it won't move. Thank you everyone who has helped me out before. I'm a newbie to 3 wheelers and don't know much about them.

slippy4
09-20-2003, 09:39 PM
it is a 5 speed tranny. 1 down and 4 up. but in order to get to second from 1st. you have to click up twice. my guess is the clutch may have been sitting long enough that they dried out and went bad. or you can adjust the clutch but im not sure on how to do that.

davidcool
04-02-2009, 05:58 PM
I have a yamaha tri-moto 125cc. I needed a service manual or a repair manual can someone help me.

old-yellow
04-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Hey david, here's a link to a web site that sells them.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-ATVs-Owners-Workshop-Manual/dp/185010154X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238726608&sr=1-1