PDA

View Full Version : project trike

dream3wheeler
09-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Hey guys, i recently scored a free 185s honda. it was in surprisingly good condition for the way it was treated. when i got it the interior of the gas tank was rusted, the pull starter was off with no rope, the hand brakes were loose, and the throttle was stuck. so first thing i did was hose it off and then started taking crap apart, i took out the carb, and the air filter. i was wondering besides all the maintenance stuff. what would be some cool mods for the wheeler. i was thinking putting a pipe from a different trike on, a gas tank from a different trike, and redoing the plastic. any ideas?

Vealmonkey
09-16-2010, 10:24 PM
How crazy do you want to get? A 200x exhaust will fit, it will just pass along the outside of the frame, not through the middle. You can put the whole 200x top end on if you want to make your trike 200cc instead of 185. As far as tank and fenders, I don't really know of any trike the fenders would be switchable with so you are stuck with either finding a better tank or going with a plastic tank. You can put in a bigger cam, but I wouldn't go too crazy. I wouldn't go too crazy with piston compression either. You can overpower the semiautomatic trans as they are not quite as forgiving as the clutches in a manual trans. Some people swap front ends, but that takes some work, it's not just a bolt on deal. You have to swap the 185s stem to whatever triple trees you are using and have that all welded into place and such. You might be able to find a suspension rear section. Unless you find a whole 200x frame, which your engine will just bolt into. Then you have front and rear disc brakes, better front suspension and rear suspension. Then all you have to do is make a rear brake pedal that can attach to the 200x fframe and operate the rear master cylinder. On the
200x the rear brake pedal is attached to the engine, not the frame, so that is why you would have to fabricate the rear brake pedal. But it's been done before and it's not that big of a deal. 83-85 200x are pretty easy to find and a complete roller usually isn't very expensive. They are usually called "Auto X's".

cooter69
09-17-2010, 12:00 AM
I wish I could find a free trike, How'd you come across this? I don't have alot of info as I'm just getting back into trikes again.

dream3wheeler
09-17-2010, 01:34 PM
I got it from my neighbor he didnt use it and it was sitting in the weeds so he said to just take it cause he got a 4 wheeler like 10 years ago.

muthey
09-17-2010, 03:45 PM
for plastics I have compared at a glance but not positive you might be able to mod atc 90 to match the 185s, they are very similar, the tank any 200 model other than the 200x should match up I swap my wife's 1981 200 and my buddies 185s tanks all the time I just recently did a fork conversion to a yamaha ytm 200 on the 200 involved a stem swap and a mill on the top of the triples. been meaning to take some pictures and start a thread but not enough time on my hands at the moment. My wife swears the new forks handle way better than the buddies 185s do I have a 1980s honda cycle plastic tank that I am gonig to mod the frame to put on the 200 soon have to add bolt cylinders for it and a hanger latch on the end just some ideas for you

Yamaha_Rules69
09-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Try to get the machine running before you decide to do any mods, so that you know everything works as it should. Sometimes the smallest parts are the most expensive, and will put you in the hole. Good luck, and keep us updated!

Ironbnder
09-17-2010, 09:43 PM
It was easier for me to just swap out the neck tube rather than modifying the triples, but that all depends on what tools you have access to. Then it is a bolt on deal. Once you get a skinny front tire, you can add some 250R or 350x plastics and lights. It also gives you front disk brakes. Axle extenders and small tires in the rear is a must.