PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a Zinger Tank on Tri-z?

Just-Tri-It
09-16-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm trying to put a zinger tank on my Z. Couldn't find any pics on the board with the cover off so I had to experiment with the installation. If anyone has a pic. of one on a Z you could email it to me if you like or just make suggestions on the mounting.
I have it zip-tied for now until I see a better way.
Thanks for any input.
Just Tri It

Just-Tri-It
09-16-2010, 05:46 PM
I found a pic on one of the threads. Thanks.

Tri-Z 250
09-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Seeing how it looks like your Z's a drag machine flipping it or tip over crashs may not be a problem. I just wouldn't trust the zipties in a crash to hold the tank in place. In an MX bike simple tabs spot welded to the frame would be needed. IMO

Just-Tri-It
09-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Seeing how it looks like your Z's a drag machine flipping it or tip over crashs may not be a problem. I just wouldn't trust the zipties in a crash to hold the tank in place. In an MX bike simple tabs spot welded to the frame would be needed. IMO

True, but can you spot weld plastic to metal? Maybe some other kind of clamp would be better or thicker zip ties.
Thanks

Yamaha_Rules69
09-16-2010, 09:37 PM
How does she run with the zinger tank? Are you using the stock carb, and if so, did you plug off the vacuum lines (2 from jug, 1 on carb?) Or do you have a different carb?

Just-Tri-It
09-16-2010, 10:02 PM
How does she run with the zinger tank? Are you using the stock carb, and if so, did you plug off the vacuum lines (2 from jug, 1 on carb?) Or do you have a different carb?

I runs better with the zinger tank. Holds more gas than the mower tank I had on it. The motor vac. is plugged off. The carb is a 38 keihin carb. The engine had the wrench report II work done to it and shave head a little more than suggested in the report. Just about got it jetted in. The keihin seems to do better than the 38 mikuni did. She's a beast to hang on to.

Bryan Raffa
09-16-2010, 10:07 PM
sorry man I haven't got back to you,,, your on the right track, but the back needs to be tipped up more...Ill get some pics soon ,, been busy promoting trike racing.

your doing good with that gas cap .. the Zinger caps SPLIT if you tighten them too mutch,, I cut half the threds off my tank so it didnt stick up so far ,,, but I cant tell ya everything in one post..LOL start DIGGIN! ,,, something I did when I first got here!

Tri-Z 250
09-17-2010, 08:44 AM
The tabs could be from some simple angle iron. Round out the edges drill some holes...then bolt the tank to the tabs.
Weld plastic and Steel:rolleyes:......you might want to stick with your basic approch and add some duct tape.:naughty:

Just-Tri-It
09-17-2010, 02:30 PM
The tabs could be from some simple angle iron. Round out the edges drill some holes...then bolt the tank to the tabs.
Weld plastic and Steel:rolleyes:......you might want to stick with your basic approch and add some duct tape.:naughty:

lol, Yes, OK. That would work and just repaint where the welds are made. I have another idea I may try first of molding the tank to fit the frame a little better.
Thanks

Bryan Raffa
09-21-2010, 10:05 PM
I used a chunk of rubber to bring the back of the tank up,(1"),, natural that way and looked better IMO..

the thred of the tank I cut off a 3 threds high ,, I was haveing a problem, over tighten the OEM gas caps and they split..
ended up with a gas can top with the zinger guts inside,, cut a round chunk of alum and put a fitting in. Hose for a vent..

my cap split once and Alky splashed me in the face on a 300' drag.. nasty stuff.

I had a pattern for the air cover let someone borrow it ,, never got it back or a copy of it..=(

pretty much the air box cover holds it on if cut Right!

STROK'IN-2SMOKE
10-05-2010, 04:01 PM
DUDE that shits far out..... I'm going to do that once my yamadog is done with the rebuild. NICE work on experimenting dude's I never even thought of that!!