PDA

View Full Version : I Think I Got it

RodKnockRacing
09-14-2010, 03:41 PM
So today I put my 200x engine back together with a nice BAPP .50 over 10:5 Piston I got from Shortline thanks buddy. Then I put it in the bike and tested the compression i was only getting 90 lbs so I was little disappointed thinking I failed once again. So sat and thought about it for awhile what if i put a little oil down the cylinder so it helps seal the rings. Now its got over 150 psi and cant even kick the damn thing.

Dirtcrasher
09-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Great, just take it easy on the kicker gears!! :D

Cylinder to piston clearance and proper honing aren't your job, thats why it's so hard to get it done. You never know who to trust.......

Hopefully they seat in nice. The only mistake you can make is staggering the 5 rings, I just go about I put the top and compression ring at 10PM and 12 AM, the oil ring at 6AM/PM and the other oil rings at 4AM and 8AM. I've torn down motors with them all lined up :lol:

I'm gonna let Kustom (SP?) Kraft bore and hone my next cylinder.........

RodKnockRacing
09-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the info DC I had the cylinder honed at a atv shop in tunkhannock and i really don't like the way he did it using a cordless drill. I would imagine a drill press would do a better job. I was also talking to Brapp and he was saying id probably end up snapping the kick started but we will see.

Dirtcrasher
09-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Hey bud,

I cannot tell you why, but in your cylinder should be crosshatches about 30 degree "hatches" and as much as 45, which is a bit much.

Honing leaves a pattern that the rings seat against, a clear round cut in the cylinder would be terrible and a bore, not a hone.

I watched a bud hone his RM250 cylinder in a drill press, when he was done there was no cross hatch, nothing....... It never started right........

Honestly, I use a ball hone, plenty of ,lube and put my cordless on low, NEVRER HIGH speed and that giives me the desired results and they should be visible.

RodKnockRacing
09-14-2010, 07:04 PM
I learn something new everyday Thanks DC

harryredtrike
09-15-2010, 01:08 AM
i also use a hand drill(electric)with good results.i feel i have more control.i have steady hands though.

tri again
09-15-2010, 01:33 AM
my uncle said a good hone job should feel like a very fine surface rust so the rings can find a nice place to seat.

and the angle should be like DC said,. Ball hones don't flip out and jam like those 'fly out' ones and are easier to control to get the right angle, excuse me, correct angles on the "scratches".

Wonder what's the best way to break in new rings?

Idle for a bit, run at double idle, etc etc?

Texas 200x
09-15-2010, 02:50 AM
I use a ball hone on a cordless in a parts solvent bath. I found it works well. I know old aircraft mechanics would ever so slightly file the edge of the rings before putting them in to eliminate breaking in. I have never done this (my balls fear the reprocussion of destroying a new set of rings.) I've gone with a 45 cross hatch personally. Another common mistake I've seen people do is not give the engine WOT when compression testing. Also once the motor warms up the oval piston will expand and fill the cylinder better and you will get a higher compression reading which is what the "true" compression is when your running the engine.