PDA

View Full Version : Need help wit this 85R ASAP!

oldtoys72
09-14-2010, 12:40 AM
ok guys, i have an opportunity to get this 85R and Im wondering if you experts out there can see anything off the bat that doesnt look right or any possible problems with it. Deal is set up for wednesday but wanted to get your opinions before hand! Is the swingarm stock? looks like a 200x swinger to me but im problly wrong. Isnt there suppose to be something covering the front sprocket? Obvious issues with the fork seals, headlight plastic and it being pretty dirty! Let me know what you guys see/think! thanks in advance!

harryredtrike
09-14-2010, 12:48 AM
wheels are wrong,shock boots gone,fork seals look shot.i see alot of travel in those front forks maybe too much.motor is wrong color(probably painted)sprocket cover is missing,i cant see enough of that swingarm to tell,looks painted too.front end looks jacked,maybe the pic though.whats the asking price????chain looks too tight also

Eric250R
09-14-2010, 12:55 AM
everything above, and looks to be a few bad oil leaks. And if it's pushing as much oil out of the pipe as it looks, then there may be some internal seal issues. All in all, if it's dirt cheap I'd pick it up. Nothing a little time and effort can't fix. But I wouldn't pay alot for it. How does it run ? Have you ridden it ?

oldtoys72
09-14-2010, 12:56 AM
gonna trade for a non running 95 warrior, a 85 200x that has something wrong with the motor and a 84R that needs new fenders, rear shock, carb work, rear bearings, tank paint..... think its a fair deal? i need room back in my garage and just want to downsize a few toys and this didnt seem to bad to me???????????

leviblue
09-14-2010, 01:00 AM
$800 tops it'll be woods bike for a weekend in that condition

oldtoys72
09-14-2010, 01:02 AM
Gonna check it out on wednesday to see how she runs/rides.

harryredtrike
09-14-2010, 01:05 AM
gonna trade for a non running 95 warrior, a 85 200x that has something wrong with the motor and a 84R that needs new fenders, rear shock, carb work, rear bearings, tank paint..... think its a fair deal? i need room back in my garage and just want to downsize a few toys and this didnt seem to bad to me???????????

that seems like alot for that 85 but i dont know the shape of the three atv's

leviblue
09-14-2010, 01:07 AM
everything on it can be fixed the only thing is that the casesaver is cracked. otherwise do the trade more than fair

ceaserthethird
09-14-2010, 04:56 AM
Look's like the Left Case Has been repaired, They could have JB weld that area.

They have a Chrome pipe in one of the pictures, than a Sectional pipe looks like Jemco pipe.

I don't think it's worth 3 bikes for 1 250R, I would NOT Touch that Trike !

How much is he asking ? ? ?

It's going to add up quick, just depend to how anal you are....

You could Fix the other bikes and buy something in better Condition !

oldtoys72
09-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Well maybe I will pull one bike of mine from the deal, see what he thinks. The new pipe is a FMF fatty with a DG silencer he put on back in june he said. He said the bike runs great and is mechanically sound! I will look it over good tomorrow and let you guys know what all I see!

Mosh
09-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Air box tube to carb is all butchered..
There is JB weld behind the sprocket..Cases are probably cracked..Front end does look twisted..

Bolt missing above sprocket is probably broken off down in the case..

If it runs...To me it looks like a 4-500$ trike tops...You are gonna have to put at least 1000$ into it to make it nice and reliable..I bet the motor is clapped out too..

fabiodriven
09-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Looks like a good starting point but as previously stated it's gonna need a lot of TLC. It's also going to need a lot of money. You can bet that case is cracked so you're going to have to address that. While you're in there you might as well do all the seals (especially crank), and that's where it all begins. Looks like she's been ridden hard and put away wet. As stated, 4-500 tops for that one.

What would make you think that's a 200X swinger?:wondering

oldtoys72
09-14-2010, 10:55 AM
The swinger looks exactlly like the one on my 85 200x from what I can see of it. I don't think they are interchangable though so like I said I'm sure I'm wrong about that. From what you guys are saying the 1600 he is asking for it is WAY off base! Thing is if I want a liquid R then I have to drive 6hrs to get one, this one is right in my backyard basically. I will see if he will do the 200x and the warrior for trade, I don't want the warrior anyway, got a super deal on it that I couldn't pass up so if I can get it for those two things I will do it otherwise I'm leavin it where it sits I guess!

swampthang
09-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Post up some pics of the atvs your wanting to trade. We might be able to give you some ideas on there value. That r looks like a money pit to make right but if its cheap enough id deffinently pick it up.

oldtoys72
09-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Will post pics up in a couple hrs, phone won't let me, no flash player...

oldtoys72
09-14-2010, 01:24 PM
here are some quick pics guys

swampthang
09-14-2010, 01:40 PM
whats all wrong with your bikes they dont look to bad?

ATC-RYDA
09-14-2010, 01:46 PM
i would never trADE ALL 3 OF THOSE BIKEIS FOR THAT 85 r .. trailprotrailpro AIR COOLED LOOKS TO BE IN PRETTY DAM DECENT SHAPE OTHER THAN THE FEW THINGS U MENTIONED , THAT ALONE IS PROBLY ABOUT THE SAME VALUE AS THE 85 .. 200X DOESN'T LOOK THAT FAR OF EITHER ..LOOKS PRETTY COOL IMO.. AND NEVER BEEN MUCH FOR WARRIORS BUT THAT ONE DOESN'T LOOK TO BE IN BAD SHAPE COSMETICALLY , OTHER THAN THE HEADLIGHT LOL'... I BET THE GUY IS SITTING HOME PRAYING FOR YOU TO MAKE A BAD DECISION AND BRING HIM ALL THREE OF THOSE BIKES.. IF I WHERE YOU I WOULD INVEST A LITTLE MONEY IN THE 84 r U HAVE AND THE 200X AND GET THEM IN DECENT RUNNING/RIDING CONDITION AND IF U REALLY WANT A LIQUID, SELL THEM FOR MUCH MORE THEN WHAT U WOULD GET IN THERE CURRENT CONDITION THEN TAKE THE MONEY AND SHOP AROUND FOR A NICER 85/6 R .. THERES PLENTY OF THEM OUT THERE .. THEN JUST SELL THE WARRIOR THE WAY IT SITS FOR AS MUCH AS U CAN... ALL I'M SAYING IS DONT MAKE A BAD DECISION JUST BECAUSE THIS HAPPENS TO BE CLOSE TO HOME ..

tri-Z ripper
09-14-2010, 02:46 PM
I certainly would hold out!!!! Keep that 84 R FOR SURE!!! i would sink some cash in that and sell the warrior and 200X for another 250R 85/86. Only problem is your still going to want a 4 stroke every once and a while to put around on! lol :) But DO NOT TRADE ALL 3 BIKES NO WAY NO HOW NO SIR!!!!! warrior and 200x maybe just maybe but not the R!!!!!

fabiodriven
09-14-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm jumping on the bandwagon. Don't do the trade. That liquid R needs a lot. Your R doesn't look half bad.

harryredtrike
09-14-2010, 02:53 PM
i would only trade the quad and some cash or the quad and the x straight up.if he wont do it keep looking.when i bought my r i looked for quite awhile before i found a good one,and it wasnt close.

RIDE-RED 250r
09-14-2010, 03:02 PM
warrior and some cash....i would keep the R and the X..... my $0.02

oldtoys72
09-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Only things wrong with them are what I said in the previous post, If he will go for it I will offer the X and the warrior for trade I think!

thestud25
09-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Band Wagon. Don't trade!

Dirtcrasher
09-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Post up some pics of the atvs your wanting to trade. We might be able to give you some ideas on there value. That r looks like a money pit to make right but if its cheap enough id deffinently pick it up.

My thoughts exactly....

Nope, don't do it, the R will need allot of work to get it nice, tight and reliable.....

oldtoys72
09-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Do you guys think the x and the warrior for the liquid r is a fair deal for both parties? Like I said he is asking 1600 bucks for his trike, im not sure how it runs but my x runs but needs some upper engine work i believe cause its got a little tick to it, probablly needs rings before to long too! The warrior I dont know much about because I just got it, all i know is that the motor does spin over freely but there is no spark, I believe the coil to be shot! Oh and the 200x has a ton of extra parts to go with it.... frames, swingers, shocks, shrouds, motor parts etc....... let me know what you guys think!

Dirtcrasher
09-14-2010, 05:46 PM
No, it's not a nice R. Sell or part your stuff and get a good one, your not in Canada so something is out there for you in better shape!!

That R may have the origanl cran, maybe even the top end - they run forever but when they blow up, it's BAD!!

ceaserthethird
09-14-2010, 05:47 PM
I would NOT trade, Fixs what u got and sell them you'll make more
And will be able to buy a really nice 250R!

That 250r needs tons of work

swampthang
09-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Id sell the 200x and use the money to fix the Warrior and air cooled R. Then by that time there might be a nice liquid R for sell or trade close to you or maybe you will be able to pick up that liquid R cheap because I dont see a bunch of guys wanting to through down $1600 for a used up machine. If moneys the reason you cant fix your bikes now i wouldnt add another .

fabiodriven
09-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Wow, he's asking $1600 for that heap?!?!:lol: That's reason enough to walk IMO. The guy's obviously a clown.

oldtoys72
09-14-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm not far from canada actually, minneapolis/st.paul is what seems to be the closest place to find a liquid R and that's almost 400 miles one way! Money isn't the issue with fixing up what I have, I have a 8yr old, 1yr old and one about to be born so there isn't really any time to work on stuff anymore. I was just looking to get rid of a "fixer upper" for a kick and "goer" so that when I do have free time I can just ride, but I have other trikes to ride and really wanna get my big red done before winter so don't really want to take on another project either! I will have to do some thinking on this one, maybe shoot him a low offer or just a straight up trade or who knows what? See the problem is that guys around this area want gold for their bikes cause "there not made anymore, they're collector items, and they see prices on CL from the cities but don't take into acount the shape of theirs and local market value!

oldtoys72
09-14-2010, 08:29 PM
isnt the frame suppose to be red? someone said the motor color is wrong? what color is it suppose to be? Im asking because i want to point out everything that is wrong with the trike to see if he will lower the price! Found out where he lives.... worst part of our town.....

fabiodriven
09-14-2010, 08:37 PM
You've got a lot more to worry about than paint my friend.

oldtoys72
09-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Oh ya undoubtably more to worry about than paint! But every little thing can be used as a bargaining chip....

Mosh
09-14-2010, 09:19 PM
I will put it like this.

Front forks twisted...100$ for straightnening or buying good used, if you cant do the work yourself..
Plus Fork seals..There is another 110$
Left case assmembly..Used in good condition...150$ Minimum.
Bottom end gasket and seals 80$ Plus $125 for a rebuilt crank Minimum
Carb boot and possible airbox..25$-40$
New piston and bore and reeds? 225$ easy.
Something funky is going on with the rear shock..It isnt mounted correctly or something. $$$$$ ??????
Thumb Throttle and cable 75$ used...About 5% of trike riders can ride and like a twist on a 250R

That is $910.00 just in forseeable mechanical issues right there ASSUMING you can do ALL the repairs yourself..And that does not include cosmetics, bearings seals and possible bent axles bad carriers or who knows just by the pics.
And what about the clutches, and Crank bearings, counter balancer holder and bearings..All these things are hidden cost factors. Just figure another $400 right there in extra engine items..Judging by the looks of that engine..I bet it needs it ALL.
That is a grand total of 1300$

You can find nice 250R's for 1200$ right now in the states that are turnkey and not all molested...

If it was me...I would offer him the Warrior and maybe $200 cash..If you want it that bad. And that is it...The more I look at this thing, the more my offer goes down..We buy them things around here for $300 max and that is if we are bored.
If I didnt have a R and had the sick taste in my mouth for one..I would give him 500$ MAX, and I can do all that work myself..That is the only reason I would offer him that much.
Most of the time we pass em up in that condition for anything over 300$.

Or get that warrior running put it on CL for about 1000$ sell it quick and go find you a nice R even if it means driving a whole day to get it.
I know you want this thing bad...But premature wad shooting is never a good thing, and if you have patience a better deal will come along.

oldtoys72
09-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Mosh, wow you really know your $h!it man! This site is such invaluable tool its crazy! Thanks for all your input guys, I really appreciate it!

matt86200x
09-14-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm not far from canada actually, minneapolis/st.paul is what seems to be the closest place to find a liquid R and that's almost 400 miles one way! Money isn't the issue with fixing up what I have, I have a 8yr old, 1yr old and one about to be born so there isn't really any time to work on stuff anymore. I was just looking to get rid of a "fixer upper" for a kick and "goer" so that when I do have free time I can just ride, but I have other trikes to ride and really wanna get my big red done before winter so don't really want to take on another project either! I will have to do some thinking on this one, maybe shoot him a low offer or just a straight up trade or who knows what? See the problem is that guys around this area want gold for their bikes cause "there not made anymore, they're collector items, and they see prices on CL from the cities but don't take into acount the shape of theirs and local market value!

Where about are you in Minnesota, i live in winnipeg like 1/2 hour north of Pembina/Emerson border

oldtoys72
09-14-2010, 11:22 PM
2 R's for 1500????? That's unheard of around here! Wish I was near wherever that is!

oldtoys72
09-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Matt86200x I'm about an 1hr and 45 from winnipeg, a little town north of Thief River Falls,MN

matt86200x
09-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Matt86200x I'm about an 1hr and 45 from winnipeg, a little town north of Thief River Falls,MN

Well Then!! If you want to sell the x let me know

matt86200x
09-15-2010, 11:11 AM
or even the warrior if your trade deal doesn't go through, depending on how much you want for either of the bikes, i always like a good little road trip

oldtoys72
09-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Make me an offer on them, if you look in the classifieds you will see all the parts that come with the X, I also have 3 extra front rims one with hub and 4 rear rims, 2 are gold that go with it, I think the listing is titled FS or WTT 200x parts for 85BR parts