PDA

View Full Version : new to Phoenix riding

ATCT
09-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Hey guys. I recently moved back to Phoenix from NYC. Oddly, when I lived here before, I hadn't gotten back into riding, so I've actually never ridden here or on the west coast. Seeing as I've dreamt of riding the areas I read in the magazines since I was 12, it's gonna be great.

I just picked up a 1984 250R in California and brought it back this weekend. It's largely original. Just need to get some new rear tires, eventually some new rear plastic, a tune-up, and I should be good to go. Not bad for $400. Plus it has its pink slip so I can register it here and in CA.

I have a few questions that hopefully some of you can answer:

1) Is there a good shop in town that isn't absurdly expensive to do things such as change the tires out and give it a good tune-up/oil change? I plan on doing most of the wrenching down the road on my own, but at the moment I have a ton on my plate and just want it done right the first time.

2) What are the closest places to ride to the Phoenix area, in case I get a last minute urge to go riding for a couple hours on a Sat afternoon?

3) What are the best places to ride? I'm probably more familiar with the CA riding areas as those were in the mags more back in the day.

Well, that's about it, I think. It'll probably be a few months before I'm out there riding (need to save up some $ for a new hemet, tires, service, registration, etc), but would be cool to meet up at some point for a ride. I'm sure I'm really rusty on the trails, so will probably take me a while to get up to snuff.

In any event, I'm looking foward to riding again. Thanks

v8280z
09-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Welcome to PHX

I moved here almost 4 years ago from MI but didn't start riding here until about a year ago. I also have a 1984 250r that I am almost done building but have been riding my Polaris quad in the mean time. I love riding near Saguaro Lake (look up Rolls OHV trails). I do know that it is f@#$in' crazy on the trails during the weekend. I only go riding now when I get a chance during the week. Went last Friday and it was beautiful! If you want to ride when you get your trike going - PM me and we can set something up