PDA

View Full Version : 70 question .. PLEASE HELP !!!!

ATC-RYDA
09-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Well i bought a 70 yesterday brought her home and it ran a little crappy , would only run with the choke on .. So i figured i'd wait till 2day and clean the carb , should do the trick i thought ... Nope ... Got the carb all cleaned out nice tank has no rust but i put in line filters on the lines just to be safe .. Got it running without the choke .. The dam thing runs just fine at an idle even rev's up pretty well while in nuetral .. As soon as u get on and pop it in gear it just doesnt want to go ??? I mean i can drive around the yard all day with it in 1st gear and doing about 2 m.p.h. But it just wont rev up like it should , not even enough to get it into 2nd gear.. And again when its sittin in neutral it'll run fine and rev up to the moon perfectly .. But not with a rider .. I even put my neice who's about 50 pounds on it and it still did the same thing

please give me some input !! ,, also the pipe has no baffle in it , but i ruled that out when i tried a few different methods of stuffing it with insulation and a few other things to give it some back pressure . Still the same result .. Any info would be greatly appreciated on this one .. Thanks in advance !!

Heres some pics of her

briano
09-12-2010, 05:12 PM
try cleaning or replacing the points, mine was doing the same thing and it was the points. It would sit and idle all day long but would die when put into gear.

ATC-RYDA
09-12-2010, 05:14 PM
okay .. well than that is the next thing i will try ,, thank you

Mosh
09-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Cleaning the carb rarely works.
Unless you are meticulous in cleaning the jets.
The pilot jet is so small it is almost impossible to get cleaned.
Usually when a stock 70 wont take fuel, it is because the pilot jet is clogged.
If you put the choke on, does it run better?
If so, I would get a rebuild kit with new jets and rebuild the carb.

Points will make them run doggy or hard to start, but in all cases I have had, they usually wont run at all if the points are bad.

Either way, points are a good suggestion, but I would also just rebuild the carb to. All the parts probably will only cost about 60 bucks including the point kit.
I have used the Moose carb kits with good results.

ATC-RYDA
09-12-2010, 07:35 PM
thanks for the input mosh.. well i went to to take a look at the points , pulled the mag off and found the woodruff key to be sheared on the crank so its slightly off on the timing , its just a bummer because the crank where the key slips in is actually wollowed out like maybe the mag was put on loose at one point .. so the key is now stuck in the mag and basically rolled off to one side and the crank is wollowed out to fit ... any way to fix this problem without replacing the crank ?

ATC-RYDA
09-12-2010, 08:40 PM
anybody ????

Race Demon
09-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Use a new woodriff key with some lock tight, I have got away with it on a stock motor for a while, plus, you know where to look when it starts acking up again, should get you buy till you find another motor, not great but it works in a pinch

ATC-RYDA
09-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Well i found a good permanent fix ,, i changed out the bottom end with a good 84 bottom that atc704life had laying around and it worked perfectly .. Set the points to .014 and the thing fires up 1 pull everytime like a dream .. Enjoyed it alot 2day .. Thanks bro !!

three_wheelin45
09-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Nice little 70 you got there :D i was going to buy one in failry good shape like yours for 150$, and i called him to tell him when we could arange to pick it up and he sold it out from under me :mad:

northerntrike
09-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Nice! Glad you got it worked out. I'm looking around for one for my son now. I've got a line on one but it'll be a month before I get a chance to go look at it.(if they still have it...that is) I do have one question though. What's a decent price for a 70?

ktmbk
09-13-2010, 09:49 PM
After alot of trial and error I can now tell you what caused the key to break off:rolleyes:

The flywheel wasn't torqued properly after it was removed..... I have the same issue with my lt250s. You need to use a spanner wrench and do it right or it will break the key and skip the timing. A lesson it took me years to learn.