PDA

View Full Version : 83 175 trimoto

earnz
09-05-2010, 10:53 PM
hey guys i got a 83 trimoto 175 have looked it over and adjusted every thing and did a tune up and shave put over 20 hours on it now. i was wanting know how much i can shave off the head.. if the 82 reeds and reedblock are the same as 83 so i can get boyeson reeds. and if new rear sprocket are availible thanks

Motorious
09-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Don't know how much you can shave from the head, but the '82 and '83 reeds/reed blocks look slightly different and have different part #'s according to the fiche on bikebandit.com: http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1983-yamaha-motorcycle-yt175k/o/m8785 and http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1982-yamaha-motorcycle-yt175j/o/m8784

New rear sprockets are available at bikebandit.com, but aren't cheap at $71. I have a good used YT 175 rear sprocket that you can have for $10 + shipping cost. Also have a bunch of other YT175 parts for sale too if your interested: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?117796-Yamaha-Tri-Moto-175-YT175-Parts-For-Sale-Now-With-Pics

Good luck with your Tri-Moto

Vealmonkey
09-06-2010, 05:08 AM
Why are you shaving the head? Are you trying to up the performance? You would have to pull the head and start measuring what you have. Head shaving can be tricky, since you have manufacturing tolerances that can vary piston to piston. Better porting is what you really need. Some people have used the topends from it175 engines since they have way better porting and port timing than a stock yt175. The only top end year that I know that fits is a 1977, because that is what I have. If you don't have to shave your head, I wouldn't as it could cause you to have to run a higher octane gasoline, which isn't always desirable either. With alot of searching, there are also aftermarket pipes and heads available, but they can be costly and they aren't always the easiest to find. Best of luck with your project.

Yamaha_Rules69
09-06-2010, 03:22 PM
The reeds from the 82 and 83 YT 175 are completely different. The 83 has a larger intake casting in the jug, and also uses a larger reed block. The 82 YT 175 shares the same reed block/intake design as the 81-82 YT 125. I have swapped the intakes, boot block and reeds between the first year 125, and the 82 175, and it is a direct fit. The 83-85 YT 125 looks almost identical to the 83 175, and im sure those would swap.

earnz
09-07-2010, 01:54 AM
thanks guys... yes i am looking to get more power outta it and gear it so it goes a little bit faster. definately will look into porting before getting head shaved and is there any aftermarket rear sprockets that i can find to make me go faster on top end

Vealmonkey
09-07-2010, 02:24 AM
You should be able to get sprockets from sunstar. I think the 175 and 125 used different tooth sprockets, so you may be able to get factory sprockets in different numbers of teeth.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?86220-Pro-Tec-175-Beginning&highlight=
Check this thread out. It is of my Pro Tec 175 suspension kit and should give you some ideas for performance options for your trike.

earnz
09-09-2010, 01:20 AM
i just picked up a ngk racing cable im not expecting ne performance outta it but i was wondering since it is a resistor wire would it effect the ignition system since it has a supression type plug? aswell whats would i need to make the trike twist grip

RubberSalt
11-25-2010, 04:27 PM
You need a twish throttle and cables to match. The only downfall is when you hit a jump or bring the front end up. This can be problematic if your doing a wheelie... to much wheelie :-p
For preformance, I've stuck on a 34mm mikuni carb - obtained it off a 1995 polaris xplorer (400 2 stroke), had to rejet it. Ported the living heck out of it added triple ports and boost ports - toss a degree wheel on it and get to work atleast cleaning up the flaws. I've also got some crummy carbon fiber reeds i made from scratch at a college.
I haven't ran my ported cylinder just yet, got a few tweaks to make to it and need to hone it. Bottom end of my original engine decided to beat up the walls >.<

Carb+reeds= lot more torque and some power. Opening the exhaust helps a ton, there is massive blocking in the exhaust port, you'll see if you take the pipe off. I'll get back with shaving the head on this thing. Imma short for around 150psi, stock is 110, Not going to wild, but heat is an issue i dont want to deal with.