PDA

View Full Version : Trouble finding TDC 250es

mtsnieg
09-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Tryin to adjust the valve on my '85 250es. I line up the T mark but the rockers are tight. Rotate the engine 360, line up the T and the rockers are tight. What gives. I now TDC on the compression stroke the rockers, if set right they should have .003in of play. This is stumping me. Sounds live my valves are set too tight? Been foulin plugs like crazy and tryin to be sure of everything. What now to do to find TDC on the compression stroke? Thanks, Matt.

ailll1
09-04-2010, 09:33 PM
You could put a long straw in the spark plug hole and slowly rotate the engine until the piston reaches the top, or as far as it can go.
Maybe you'll need couples of tries. Lining up the T mark with the index mark is still the best way to get at TDC.
Do you have any play between the adjusting screw and the valve stem at other piston positon?
If the answer is yes, your timing is probably off, then you'd have to remove the cylinder head cover i guess.

gsw902
09-04-2010, 09:34 PM
take the spark plug out and hold your finger over the spark plug hole while you turn the engine, you will feel the air pushing your finger off the hole when your on the compression stroke.

harryredtrike
09-04-2010, 09:53 PM
lining up the t mark should put you at top dead center.loosen your valve adjusters and set to spec

Dirtcrasher
09-04-2010, 10:10 PM
^ Just what I'd do as well as making sure it got timed right with all the "O's" pointing up, lobes down, TDC on the compression stroke etc etc, back off the rockers.

TDC is hard to stay at with the plug in if you have it installed...........

How'd this come about anyhow, get that way? or did you rebuild it? I use the straw all the time, the marks are super hard to find, you may be on the F mark which would be just prior to TDC on the compression stroke........

harryredtrike
09-04-2010, 10:35 PM
what dc said.you have other marks on the flywheel.make sure your on the right one.sometimes its hard to see

mtsnieg
09-05-2010, 09:52 AM
I bought it this way. having problems foulin plug. Figured I'd set the valves while I was wrenching on the trike. I can clearly see th T mark, but I haven't seen the F mark. I'll try the puttin a finner over the spark plug hole to make sure I'm on the compression stroke. Thanks, Matt.

ailll1
09-05-2010, 12:12 PM
I can clearly see th T mark, but I haven't seen the F mark. I'll try the puttin a finner over the spark plug hole to make sure I'm on the compression stroke. Thanks, Matt.

You know that the F mark or index mark is on the threads where the little cap screws right?

Dirtcrasher
09-05-2010, 12:20 PM
A straw in the spark plug hole and that cap removed is foolproof!