PDA

View Full Version : '85 Big Red 250es fouling plugs like mad. No stop

mtsnieg
09-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Ever since I got it a few months ago it had a problem with fouling plugs. I bought a rebuild kit, thoughourly cleand the carb and re assambled. Made sure I was using stock size jets. Now it almost seems worse. I even moved the needle clip up tp the to slit(book says 2nd) and no better. Tore it all apart again, re cleanded and reassembled. No better. Book says the pilot at 2 turns. No good. Stepped down 1/4 turn at a time down to 1/2 turn open. No better. Really want to get this thing tip top for hunting and ice fishin. Not i realize my float bowl gasket is leaking:wondering. Any one know the size of the oring for the bowl so I don't have to buy another rebuild kit? Thanks, Matt.

dear140
09-03-2010, 06:24 PM
you should be able to make your own float bowl gasket with some RTV.

mtsnieg
09-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Just pulled the carb again. Float bowl is cracked pretty good on one corner. $#*$)*&%&^$%# Any one got a float bowl for cheap? '85 250es. Guess this will slow me down figurin out why I'm foulin plugs. I dunno. (*&^%#$@% pissed now. Time for a beers.

mtsnieg
09-03-2010, 06:48 PM
http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz177/mtsnieg/SAM_0124.jpg

Captainwtf
09-03-2010, 06:53 PM
If I were you, and you're already planning on replacing the bowl, Why not give it a slight application of JB weld along the outside? If you get it near the gasket area you could probably sand it off. Better yet, Place a thin strip of tape over where the gasket goes and then JB weld it.

Thorpe
09-03-2010, 07:15 PM
I wouldnt JB weld it...JB sucks. Or use RTV. It swells when you get fuel on it and can make a real mess. I had the same problem with a rebuild kit on my 85 ES. Where did you buy it? Dennis Kirk???

mtsnieg
09-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Bought it from effing dennis kirk. Last time. Bowl gasket/oring seemed a tad too big, but I tried it anyways. If I JB welded it I don't think it would handle the force when u screw it down tight to hold much past the cracks. Really have to figure this carb out soon, hunting's right around the corner.

ailll1
09-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Isnt it a 86 -87 carb model?
This pilot screw doesnt look like the one on my 85 SX

mtsnieg
09-03-2010, 08:35 PM
It's an '85 model. The top broke off so I had to Dremel cut it to remove it. The new pilot screw in my kit from dennis crap was totally different. I used the old one.

Thorpe
09-04-2010, 12:20 AM
My DK kit came with the WRONG pilot jet... Had me pulling my effing hair out... Fouling plugs, sputtering, ran ok in the higher revs until the plug fouled!!!! I ordered my new kit from a local Yamaha dealer, and discover the kit for a 85 is different than the 86-87 kits... Order a new kit, not from DK!

harryredtrike
09-04-2010, 12:42 AM
i am sure someone will be able to hook you up with a new bowl on here.where that crack is i would trust a home fix on that.get a real rebuild kit for your carb while it is out of commission

tri again
09-04-2010, 12:43 AM
the qa 01 in could be an early 85

anyway, I got a kit for 20bucks from the local triumph dealer...SHINDY also do the oem stuff so they are perfect. fit.

ssssed off, I made a paper gasket and it still works (other carb)..thicker gasket paper may even compensate for your missing corner piece.

rtv will melt and bubble with gas..easy to test..let some dry in a bottle cap and hit it with aa few drops of gas the next day

I also went thru about 5 or 6 of the 85 plus models and there is an emulsion tube hiding under one of the screw out jets and usually full of crud.

just 'cause the jets are clean doesn'
t mean the internal passages are.

I can look for the jet sizes.
I think I wrote them down on the barn door so I'd never lose them.

we feel your pain.

ps

my local hardware store has allen screws that fit the float bowls just fyi..maybe one of those with some custom bent washer will hold it

oh, some carbs actually have snap wires holding the float bowl on..maybe you can make one out of an old mason canning jar or grolsch bottle.

with a longer screw or 2 , you could even make a bale wire so it goes diagonally over the float bowl to another screw.

I'd be so aggravated that I'd fix the sucker even if someone handed me a nonbroken one.

There are also some really neurotic aluminum welder guys that Love to show off.

My neighbor can heliarc 2 soda cans together.

mtsnieg
09-04-2010, 09:01 AM
"I also went thru about 5 or 6 of the 85 plus models and there is an emulsion tube hiding under one of the screw out jets and usually full of crud."

I didn't have one of these in my carb or in the rebuild kit. Could that missing be the cause of fouling plugs so quikly? I've rebuilt many carbs for wheeles and auots and never had a problen like this. I guess I'll try to 'jerry rig" the float nowl till I can come up with a replacement. Thanks, Matt.

mtsnieg
09-04-2010, 09:03 AM
My DK kit came with the WRONG pilot jet... Had me pulling my effing hair out... Fouling plugs, sputtering, ran ok in the higher revs until the plug fouled!!!! I ordered my new kit from a local Yamaha dealer, and discover the kit for a 85 is different than the 86-87 kits... Order a new kit, not from DK!

I'm done with dennis kirk. I'v gotten the wrong parts from them for the last time.

mtsnieg
09-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Little update here.

I JB Welded the float bowl, it seem to be holding up and not leaking. Definately a temperary fix till I can find a replacement.

I recleaned all the prigional jetts, made sure they were the stock # ones and put em back in.

No better. Here's a pic of a new plug with only 1 1/2 minutes runtime max.

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz177/mtsnieg/SAM_0126.jpg

What to do? Could mis adjusted valves couse this? Maybe timing? Gonna go back out and check them valves, probably should do it anyways.

harryredtrike
09-04-2010, 08:05 PM
your too rich for sure.could be syphoning the bowl.float set too high?could be timing also.looks dry black indicates a fuel rich problem.wet black indicates oil in the combustion process.

mtsnieg
09-04-2010, 08:36 PM
It's defanetly a dry black residue. Could tight valve clearances have anything to to with it? Can't budge a rocker at TDC either way.

harryredtrike
09-04-2010, 09:00 PM
your moving the motor counterclockwise to the t mark right?rockers should be loose(both).if thats what your doing im at a loss.

mtsnieg
09-04-2010, 09:13 PM
i dont think you should be able to.adjust your valves to spec.

Not quite sure what that means Harry.

Just got off the phone with a atvmechanice buddy. I mentioned the type of choke plunger my 250 es has. He said if that plunger and needle isn't all the way seated down when the choke is in the off position it'll let the gas flow in and foul a plug in no time. Gonna check into that right away tomorrow.

Thorpe
09-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Fur sure... (heavy on the fur).... If your choke is f-ed up its gonna run rich... Maybe you should email Dirtcrasher.... He is a god of the ES/SX motors....

harryredtrike
09-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Not quite sure what that means Harry.

Just got off the phone with a atvmechanice buddy. I mentioned the type of choke plunger my 250 es has. He said if that plunger and needle isn't all the way seated down when the choke is in the off position it'll let the gas flow in and foul a plug in no time. Gonna check into that right away tomorrow.

i dont even know what that means.i should have read it first

Dirtcrasher
09-04-2010, 10:17 PM
RTV isn't a good sealer...... Your "O-ring" is conformed to fit, some of those AM kits just give you a crappy arse o-ring.

I don't own an ES but the SX,EX and 350X all share a similar bowl and the o ring type seal may fit from any of them.

You could be suking oil thru a bad valve seal or it's rich as heck. Take the airbox lid off after getting a new plug and see how it looks. If it's the same, your getting oil past the rings or thru the intake valve seal.