PDA

View Full Version : Project "SUSPECT 70" With 125 engine. Update. 9-23-10

Mosh
09-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Ok guys.
I have a 70 here with a blown engine. I have some nifty plans for it, but first help me make a decision on a engine..

I have 2 stock 70's and I am torn between going with a manual clutch 125 Lifan, 125 Pirhana, or should I just go with a 140 pirhana..

I kinda want a semi auto 125, just for the sake of having a beer cruiser, but for a few bucks more, should I just go all out and drop in the bigger engine..I can always use the other stock 70's for mild camp cruisers, if this one is really built to hell.

Are the Lifan 125 auto clutch engines good?
Do they have the lighting coil?
Do the Pirhana engines have a lighting coil?
Should I go with the clutch arm on top of the case, or on the front of the clutch cover?(they have 2 different locations depending on engine brand).

I have ridden a 140 ATC 70 and man it may be just a little too wild to enjoy for all around purposes.
That is where I am torn in the decision on what to run with.

max
09-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Great questions concerning a 140 manual or 125 semi.

I just got my Lifan 125 up and going. Love it. Tons of power over my 110. It does have a lighting coil. I got a sweet light for mine at Dr, Atv. The semi auto is definately nice to have. Dont have to worry about stalling it. And you always have a free hand. Its a major convienence to me.

The 140? My bro has the Piranahh 140. Fun little beast indeed. He loves it. Its a little too much for me in such a small bike.....especially with no suspension.

No doubt his 140 will tear my 125 up. But I can say the 125 keeps up pretty well.

Holler Rob. Ive learned alot about the little nicks and nacks of these motors, mods, and where to get everything.

Good luck. Hurry though
2 months till 70 nats.

Mr_RPM
09-03-2010, 01:56 PM
well do you want a racer or a cruiser? you already have 2 70s so why not make a racer out of the 3rd

harryredtrike
09-03-2010, 02:29 PM
since you have a stocker allready and the 140 is a little crazy i guess that leaves the 125.im sure it will be sick, whatever you decide.

Mosh
09-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Great questions concerning a 140 manual or 125 semi.

I just got my Lifan 125 up and going. Love it. Tons of power over my 110. It does have a lighting coil. I got a sweet light for mine at Dr, Atv. The semi auto is definately nice to have. Dont have to worry about stalling it. And you always have a free hand. Its a major convienence to me.

The 140? My bro has the Piranahh 140. Fun little beast indeed. He loves it. Its a little too much for me in such a small bike.....especially with no suspension.

No doubt his 140 will tear my 125 up. But I can say the 125 keeps up pretty well.

Holler Rob. Ive learned alot about the little nicks and nacks of these motors, mods, and where to get everything.

Good luck. Hurry though
2 months till 70 nats.
Yeah I will be callin...
Gonna pick the engine up this week.
Did you get yours from PCC? How was shipping time?
I am also looking at the piranah 125 Manual clutch..I figure that may be fun too..But dang semi auto just seems so much better.
I also dont know if those have a lighting coil?And also I dont know if the FB pullstart kit will go on those Piranah engines.
I have to call him and Scott too.

Gonna make this Mini Me...
will look close to this but smaller...
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/blackedout5.jpg

Gonna play with some dirtbike tanks and seats too...

I will get pics of the startup project goin here later this weekend.

Also!
Wasnt someone making front fork kits and tripples for these?
Was it Blue27? or HRE?

PAPA250r
09-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Keep us updated i need motavation for my 125 project 70 lol

Vealmonkey
09-03-2010, 07:40 PM
I know blue27 has made fork set ups for the 70s. I couldn't tell you about HRR. I hope to be riding my 140 powered 70 soon. The 70 nats sound pretty interesting as well. Let us know how your new project turns out.

daniel_250r
09-03-2010, 08:07 PM
i had an 06 pitster pro 125 manual and man did it pull for a little bike on the track it was a blast. in a 3 wheeler tho i would want a bit more so the 140 would be ideal i believe. just make sure you stick with a stock flywheel set up if you do go with the 125 the inner rotors make them lose bottem end

KASEY
09-03-2010, 08:08 PM
i just got this,,,, its a pitsterpro, 160cc. it has a close ratio trans and a 6 disc manual clutch,,, IF YOU THINK A 70 CAN HAVE TO MUCH POWER,,,,, GET BACK ON THE PORCH AND WATCH THIS!!!!

http://i51.tinypic.com/wukxva.jpg

atc350xer
09-03-2010, 09:24 PM
So this is why you wanted that 70... lol can't wait to see what you do with it! I always wanted to use an 80's CR80 tank with the shrouds on a 70...

Mosh
09-04-2010, 09:32 AM
i just got this,,,, its a pitsterpro, 160cc. it has a close ratio trans and a 6 disc manual clutch,,, IF YOU THINK A 70 CAN HAVE TO MUCH POWER,,,,, GET BACK ON THE PORCH AND WATCH THIS!!!!

I dont have a real nice porch,so I may have to take that comment seriuosly...LOL
I was hoping you would chime on this. I always find your 70 builds to be awesome. I wish I had the extra money to do a suspeneded frame.
I think my decision will come down to a coin flip. Tell me, are the Pirahna or Pitster engine easy to do a pull start mod on? Like the other brands?

So this is why you wanted that 70... lol can't wait to see what you do with it! I always wanted to use an 80's CR80 tank with the shrouds on a 70...
Exactly sir. I need to go to the junk yard next week and borrow some small dirtbike items and see what I can fab up.

mymint87
09-04-2010, 11:29 PM
dont know if your aware of this but there's a well known 70....actually known for starting the rebirth of the 70 craze about 5 years ago...it's known as "Mini-me":postwhore

KASEY
09-05-2010, 02:11 AM
rob try to find a trx70 sidecase.. it will make the pullstart conversion easy.. i did a lifan conversion in about 1 hour,,, finding a sidecase and pullstarter will be fun and set you back at least $100 but its way better than cutting up the inside of a stock 70 cover,,, there are instructions and drawings on dratv on how to cut the stock sidecase,,,

Mosh
09-05-2010, 09:21 AM
rob try to find a trx70 sidecase.. it will make the pullstart conversion easy.. i did a lifan conversion in about 1 hour,,, finding a sidecase and pullstarter will be fun and set you back at least $100 but its way better than cutting up the inside of a stock 70 cover,,, there are instructions and drawings on dratv on how to cut the stock sidecase,,,
I did see those pics over there on that Mod.

I will look into it..Thanks for the info. I have to talk to Flyin Brian as he is the local fabrication ace around here..I know he makes kits for these things also..He has quite a few slick tricks for making things fit and work pretty easy on these things.
I should be getting pics of progress going shortly. I think I may just go with as manual 125 or Possibly the 140..

dont know if your aware of this but there's a well known 70....actually known for starting the rebirth of the 70 craze about 5 years ago...it's known as "Mini-me":postwhore

DUHHHP.. I guess I may call it project Copy cat, or Flunkie, Or Postwhore...Or maybe "Preperation H" Since Preperations A-G failed miserably...LMAO
Thanks for the heads up. Back to the drawing board...Title edit coming..

atc350xer
09-05-2010, 09:29 AM
You could find a way to slap a cr80 motor in there... THAT would be a mini 250r! lol

mymint87
09-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Just backing up mystatement87 with a lil 3WW scripture
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?44085-Cr80-Atc70&highlight=mini-me

atc500x
09-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Exactly sir. I need to go to the junk yard next week and borrow some small dirtbike items and see what I can fab up.

I'm builing a suspension 70 with a Loncin 125 manual clutch and i'm using a xr100/xr80 plastic tank and the seat on the sl70 frame

Vealmonkey
09-05-2010, 01:56 PM
If a cr80 powered 70 is a 250r, then what do you call a 250r powered 70?????? Or what do you call a 200x powered 70????

Mosh
09-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Made some headway this weekend.
I dont really intend on a full frame up build at this time, Just wanted to get the powerplant in and start messing with body work. Once that is all settled, then maybe I will continue with a full blown redo.

First pic is the 70 I started with. Blown motor, seat has seen better days, but the foundation is pretty solid.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/Bike%20pics/IMG_1524.jpg

Had to evict some freeloaders..:wondering
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/Bike%20pics/IMG_1525.jpg

After a ton of research and debate I went with Piranha 125 Manual Clutch engine. Bought the whole kit and some tall bars and accesories.

Tore the trike down, did some cleaning and got the engine in and running. Obviousliy, I have a lot left to do, but I am looking into fabbing this Carbon Fiber plastic tank with a dirtbike seat and retaining the stock 70 rear fender.
The tank accepts shrouds which if I can get it mounted where I want, the shrouds will actually hide the upper forks, but the forks will tuck into them like a 86 T-3 when done.
Dont know how this will work, but I need to get some more time to continue on.
Hopefully, later this week, I can get the pipe cut and fitted better and have some info on this tank and seat deal.
I did ride the beast with the new 125..FUN FUN FUN..Tons of power,and I love dropping the clutch and leaving roost!:D

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/Bike%20pics/IMG_1527.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/Bike%20pics/IMG_1528.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/Bike%20pics/IMG_1529.jpg

goump1995
09-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Lifan? Pirhana? Chinese piece of shits.

84atc200
09-07-2010, 09:31 PM
This is an obvious statement,but this is gonna be so cool.

Mosh
09-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Got news for you there..About 75% of everything you buy comes from China these days, whether you want to believe it or not.

I am not the only one using these engines in these. And from what I seen, they have been pulling some rather large dudes around WFO for a few years now.
I will take my chances there.
But thanks for the perfectly useless post!

atc350xer
09-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Looks awesome Rob, I'm jealous! I can't wait to grab me a pit bike motor and hop up one of my 70's... looking forward to seeing some of your ideas.

Jason Hall
09-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Rob, modding 70's Is fun!! With lots of help from Kasey, Shortline10, and Vealmonkey we built this little Beast with all Honda engine parts. Manual clutch from S-90, Stroked crank, HI compression big bore 145cc. This little thing will chuck you off :lol:, but It's Way fun. We used a stock 200x carb and didn't need to re-jet It. The 110 engine has LOTS of room for porting :lol: Have fun with your build, I love the crf50 tank!!!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff42/Jasons450r/atc70.jpg

Shorty
09-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Rob, modding 70's Is fun!! With lots of help from Kasey, Shortline10, and Vealmonkey we built this little Beast with all Honda engine parts. Manual clutch from S-90, Stroked crank, HI compression big bore 145cc. This little thing will chuck you off :lol:, but It's Way fun. We used a stock 200x carb and didn't need to re-jet It. The 110 engine has LOTS of room for porting :lol: Have fun with your build, I love the crf50 tank!!!

Awsome bike! I'd love to build something like that one of these days.

KASEY
09-07-2010, 11:28 PM

you have no idea,,,,, they are built as good as a honda ,,,, i have several i know,,,

KASEY
09-07-2010, 11:32 PM
:lol:way to go rob.... you starting to see what i have been ranting about for years???? 70'S ROCK THE PLANET....... good to see the fever is spreading!!! next question.... whats the plans for the next one???:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::D

Vealmonkey
09-08-2010, 02:54 AM
Mosh, you are definitely heading in the right direction with your build. And these 70s are quite fun. I'm curious what pipe is that you are using? A throttle cable and exhaust are the main things left on my 70 right now. It's even more fun when you get a couple 70s together and mix it up some. I can't believe you didn't have a sweet seat on that 70 first thing. A little detailing out and that trike will really stand out nice.
Jason, that is a sweet little trike there too. You guys both need from front suspension though.

sandpuppi101
09-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Well obviously you already started on a ATC model and are molding it from there but you know of course I gotta try and talk ya into doing a CRF build,and that motor should swap in the CRF chasis easily.I know you already have camp cruiser's but I honestly don't know what i'd do if I did'nt have a little 70 to bee`boop around on.You got it made with part's getting fab'd having Brian so close to ya.I'm shure yours is gonna turn out awesome however you do it and if ya need anything let Jason or Kasey know,LOL.But seriously call if ya need anything..

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/sandpuppi101/DSC00149-1.jpg

thestud25
09-08-2010, 10:14 AM

Both of those motors are just fine and very comparable to Honda engines. They will run for ever, and are priced alot lower.

Mosh, this is shaping up to be a fun build. I put a 110 in a 70. It was 3 speed with reverse and electric start. Zagames owns it now.

max
09-08-2010, 01:38 PM
I got mine at PCC. Great turn around and service.

You wanta ride this weekend. My my bro and another buddy with a big motor want to come play. Saturday or sunday is fine with me.

Sandpuppi. Can you post a link to your mini trike build. I might look into that for the suspension. Thanks.

ROB. Make sure you change the oil on that thing frequently for the first couple hrs. My bros oil looked like crap after 15 minutes on his pirranah. Lots of fine metalic break in debris. !!!!CHANGE IT

Mosh
09-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Ok guys Got some more work in tonite, but no pics.
Basically I played with the pipe and got some plastic and seat on it for temporary means..
Bumped the front sprocket up to a 15 tooth..Made a big difference.
Made some more permanent mounts for the CRF tank..Just doing some tweaking on it to make it reliable till I can get some flow going.
I need to get a Pullstart hooked up and swap my 81 rims and spacers on next..Maybe later this week I will get to that.
I will try to get some pics here in the next day or so..
Keep the ideas coming guys..Thanks!

:lol:way to go rob.... you starting to see what i have been ranting about for years???? 70'S ROCK THE PLANET....... good to see the fever is spreading!!! next question.... whats the plans for the next one???:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::D
Yeah the 70's have been taking us over here for the last 3 years, but they were all stockers.Then Mark came over and we started racing them with some of the local guys, like MAX and Flyin Brian, and Scott, then they all upped the motors...So I guess I am the last dog out of the gate as usuall..:lol::(

Your 70 builds I have watched in AWE ever since I got on the forums..I always said someday maybe I can get something going like your stuff..However that is alot to live up to with my current abilties and facilities.
Guys like you and Jason are inspirations to alot of people..

Mosh, you are definitely heading in the right direction with your build. And these 70s are quite fun. I'm curious what pipe is that you are using? A throttle cable and exhaust are the main things left on my 70 right now. It's even more fun when you get a couple 70s together and mix it up some. I can't believe you didn't have a sweet seat on that 70 first thing. A little detailing out and that trike will really stand out nice.
Jason, that is a sweet little trike there too. You guys both need from front suspension though.

Thanks Veal..The seat I am working on. I want to try to graft some sort of hybrid dirtbike seat on to match the CRF 50 tank..Then I will get some shrouds and use some odds and ends to get this to look like my Carbon Fiber 250R. Believe me..I would LOVE to go with a suspended 70, but right now funds wont allow me to. Someday maybe.
I am running the stock throttle cable.. I had to take about 3/4 inch off the carb end and re attach a barrel for the slide and ditch the curved 70 tube. The exhaust right now is a cheap China knock-off.
They take some work to get to fit correct and is already melting my fender. I think I am gonna go to a 70 Cobra under pipe or have Brian just make me one.

Well obviously you already started on a ATC model and are molding it from there but you know of course I gotta try and talk ya into doing a CRF build,and that motor should swap in the CRF chasis easily.I know you already have camp cruiser's but I honestly don't know what i'd do if I did'nt have a little 70 to bee`boop around on.You got it made with part's getting fab'd having Brian so close to ya.I'm shure yours is gonna turn out awesome however you do it and if ya need anything let Jason or Kasey know,LOL.But seriously call if ya need anything..

Thanks Roger..Seeing all my friends build these things lit the fire under my ass and they are just so damn fun..even Stock!
This being my first 70 hop up, I wanted to make it simple and I kinda like the hard tail set-up just so people see it and go "WTF is that?"..:wondering:lol:
But like I said..Someday maybe I can get a suspended set-up..I am no Fabricator like you guys are..I wish I had half the talent you all do..

I got mine at PCC. Great turn around and service.

You wanta ride this weekend. My my bro and another buddy with a big motor want to come play. Saturday or sunday is fine with me.

Sandpuppi. Can you post a link to your mini trike build. I might look into that for the suspension. Thanks.

ROB. Make sure you change the oil on that thing frequently for the first couple hrs. My bros oil looked like crap after 15 minutes on his pirranah. Lots of fine metalic break in debris. !!!!CHANGE IT
Thanks for the info Max.. I will be sure to change the oil ASAP.
This weekend may work. Thinking Saturday around 5 ish...Hollar!

I just want to say thanks for all the info you guys have posted over time, and a big thanks to Daddio and the Coshoctan Crew for that Mad 70's thread.
I read that thread and others from you guys, about 3 times each and picked up alot of tips, that I could do with limted funds and tools.

krazykane
09-08-2010, 09:14 PM
dam cant wait til i get mine done. cant wait to more of you build and kasey cant wait to see what happens with that pitster motor .

Race Demon
09-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Since your looking to make it like a 250r, just a thought, for plastic use crf50 front trimed to fit with china mini Quad rear seat and plastic, it does not look to be a real big problem to make fit other than more solid seat mount, I have some stashed for a furture project, if you come to race with us bring your mini and I will fix you up with a set of hubs and tires to try :naughty:, you can ride mine but I know some are not real keen on riding others stuff :wondering, most of us [MAD 70s] feel you can ride it just know, if you crash it you fix it to owners standards. :D:D

Mosh
09-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Since your looking to make it like a 250r, just a thought, for plastic use crf50 front trimed to fit with china mini Quad rear seat and plastic, it does not look to be a real big problem to make fit other than more solid seat mount, I have some stashed for a furture project, if you come to race with us bring your mini and I will fix you up with a set of hubs and tires to try :naughty:, you can ride mine but I know some are not real keen on riding others stuff :wondering, most of us [MAD 70s] feel you can ride it just know, if you crash it you fix it to owners standards. :D:D
Thanks man... That is the cardinal rule of ATV'ers..."You break it, You buy it"..LOL

Got some more work in tonight..
Shaved the rear fenders..Now I can kick start this sumbitch, and the rear fenders look close to a 250R.
Hooked up the factory kill Switch.
Changed the oil
and just got some little things worked out..Camera batteries were dead..

Pics tomorrowe I promise..Maybe a vid too..Fugger Runs!

Shorty
09-09-2010, 09:31 PM
If you do post a vid post it on youtube. When if comes to uploading vids on photo bucket its dirt slow and the vid quality is junk.

KASEY
09-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Pics tomorrowe I promise..Maybe a vid too..Fugger Runs!

feel the itch??? i know for a fact you are planning another one in your head already... the key is to stockpile all the parts out of sight,,, then one day just put it together!!! read my mind,,, http://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gif

Mosh
09-10-2010, 06:27 PM
feel the itch??? i know for a fact you are planning another one in your head already... the key is to stockpile all the parts out of sight,,, then one day just put it together!!! read my mind,,, http://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/k0iqo7.gif
Hearin ya..I want to get this one all squared away before I start another, then the wife's Shee needs rebuilt, then she wants her 70 hopped up.
So do my neighbors. So I am sure I will get another crack at it.

Ok so here is where I am. I have it mechanically squared away.Did a rough cut on some old fenders so I can see how I will cut the black ones. Now I can kick it too.
I need to get my CRF shrouds, and when time permits I will run to the salvage yard to size up some seats for this thing.
But it is a rider now..
So here is some new pics, and I have a short vid uploading now.. I will get that up later.

It isnt done, so dont laugh...once all mock ups are done, I will pimp it out, but that will take a few weeks yet.
Right now, I have 12 hours into the whole project as it sets.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/Bike%20pics/IMG_1532.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/Bike%20pics/IMG_1533.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/Bike%20pics/IMG_1534.jpg

Vid later.

tri-Z ripper
09-10-2010, 06:43 PM
looking good so far mosh!! I have a few in the works as well. waiting on some tools then i will get to work! have a couple stripped down and almost ready to make a mint original a beater and a custom to start. lol then her bike!

Tri-Z 250
09-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Getting ready for somthing???

70's BackYard throw down coming this fall??

Let me know 10Mexicans is ready for prepwork:lol:

max
09-11-2010, 03:02 PM
http://s2.postimage.org/CjCn0.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsCjCn0)

just testing out new hosting site.

Mosh
09-11-2010, 03:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OctkokQ0QCc

atc350xer
09-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Looks and sounds great Rob!

atc350xer
09-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Rob,
I was at the scrapyard the other day and this grabbed my attention... fits perfectly on a 70. It's a 1984 XR200 headlight. Mine is really sun faded, but I'm sure ebay has better...

thestud25
09-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Looks like she is a runner. Are you happy with the motor choice?

shortline10
09-17-2010, 12:14 PM
The motor sounds really good and making decent power . I Like it::w00t:

Mosh
09-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks guys^^^^

Yeah I am happy with the engine so far. It has just the right amount of power.

Sadly, I am stalled on anymore progress until I get some CRF shrouds, so I can fab up a seat. I have alot of chores I have to get to, so I am hoping to make some more headway here in October.

Tell ya one thing.. I have to get something different set-up for brakes. The right hand brake just isnt cutting it. Hard to control this machine and use the handbrake on the right side while working the throttle.
You have to be real careful when it yanks the front end up. You almost cant get to the brakes quick enough, and I have already looped out from under me a few times, and my ass is sore..LOL

Vealmonkey
09-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Well, instead of a thumb throttle you may want to use a twist throttle like a dirtbike and then the brake will be in a more natural place. Now you are going to have to fab a front and rear brake and a rear mastercylinder and rear brake pedal. You can go a cable front brake as well as a juice disc if you want. Blue27 has used both a cable and juice front brake. Juice front brakes on the suspension 70s and a cable front brake on a stock 70 frame. So you have options if you want to go that route.

blue27
09-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Mosh cool build, and yes stock brakes are not enough,lol. you have seen my brake setups, but that was awhile ago, I can always send you some pics and info, just shooot me a PM. Kasey has done some nice rear pedal work on a stock frame already.

Mosh
09-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Matt, Thanks for the info on the headlight set-up. I will look into it.

Mosh cool build, and yes stock brakes are not enough,lol. you have seen my brake setups, but that was awhile ago, I can always send you some pics and info, just shooot me a PM. Kasey has done some nice rear pedal work on a stock frame already.

I am open to any suggestions or ideas you or Kasey may have.
Post up any info right here if you like, or PM me anything on rear brakes you could help with.
I searched for that mini Tiger build here, but I didnt find the thread.

To keep things cost efficient for now, I am looking for a simple alternative to use the stock drum, but fab up a foot pedal.
I can get the machine stopped well now, but just the lever location itself sucks..There is no way I can use a twist. I would rather pull the cable with my teeth..lol

I would love to go all out on this with suspension and stuff, but I dont have the time or the funds to get into all that now.

Honestly, I would love a Suspended set-up like Blue And Kasey and Veal have, but even if I could find the parts, I cant afford them.

One question I have is, I saw the pitbike foot pedals and looked really trick.
But what I am finding is the width of them to be 2 inches shorter overall, vs 70 pegs.The offset does not look right either, and I am pretty sure it is a factor becuase the pit bike shifters are shorter than the 70 shifter.

Does anyone know, if there is a aftermarket peg set-up the same width, or slightly wider and same offset as the 70? As far as bolt on?

CRAZY70MAN
09-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Matt, Thanks for the info on the headlight set-up. I will look into it.

I am open to any suggestions or ideas you or Kasey may have.
Post up any info right here if you like, or PM me anything on rear brakes you could help with.
I searched for that mini Tiger build here, but I didnt find the thread.

To keep things cost efficient for now, I am looking for a simple alternative to use the stock drum, but fab up a foot pedal.
I can get the machine stopped well now, but just the lever location itself sucks..There is no way I can use a twist. I would rather pull the cable with my teeth..lol

I would love to go all out on this with suspension and stuff, but I dont have the time or the funds to get into all that now.

Honestly, I would love a Suspended set-up like Blue And Kasey and Veal have, but even if I could find the parts, I cant afford them.

One question I have is, I saw the pitbike foot pedals and looked really trick.
But what I am finding is the width of them to be 2 inches shorter overall, vs 70 pegs.The offset does not look right either, and I am pretty sure it is a factor becuase the pit bike shifters are shorter than the 70 shifter.

Does anyone know, if there is a aftermarket peg set-up the same width, or slightly wider and same offset as the 70? As far as bolt on? Hey Rob, don't know about aftermarket footpegs but these http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo321/andyatc70/th_P6110061.jpg (http://s388.photobucket.com/albums/oo321/andyatc70/?action=view&current=P6110061.jpg) are honda 125 stock pegs on my nitro 150 flat tracker.I had to round out holes slightly, would be a lot nicer to weld a new plate to stock ones and redrill IMO.They work great. My little guy is under the knife, fuel issues, nothin' big. Congrats on your mad70.......hope to be invited to those 70 nats with Mark an ya'll. I have no 3rd gear, smoked it last year but still rideable. May have another 160 here shortly?? http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo321/andyatc70/th_P6110060.jpg (http://s388.photobucket.com/albums/oo321/andyatc70/?action=view&current=P6110060.jpg) http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo321/andyatc70/th_P6110062.jpg (http://s388.photobucket.com/albums/oo321/andyatc70/?action=view&current=P6110062.jpg) Very interested in how your cosmetics look when you are done??? Nice job.........

Vealmonkey
09-17-2010, 08:57 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?100346-73-ATC70-with-front-suspension-and-Brakes!!&highlight=
This is Bruces' thread on his 73 atc70 with the drum front brake and front suspension. It's a pretty neat idea and was made pretty cleanly as well. Looks pretty stock to me.

Mosh
09-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

Andy, you are welcome to come out here when we get ramped up. I will try to give you some notice.
We usually play hard when it gets cold outside November and on.

Ok.. Made some more progress today.
I went to the junk yard and brought home 3 dirtbike seats. The one looks like it is gonna be perfect for modding.
Also picked up some paint and stuff, and tomorrow I am gonna say the hell with the chores, and hit it hard with seat and tank mods and some teardown and cosmetic freshing up..

So it looks like I will be off this thing for a few days or so till I can get the items painted and seat fabbed.

Mosh
09-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Andy, thanks for the tip on the pegs. I have some ATC 90 pegs here they should be close to those you have.
I will check them out. They go on without spacers it looks like too.

atc350xer
09-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Andy, thanks for the tip on the pegs. I have some ATC 90 pegs here they should be close to those you have.
I will check them out. They go on without spacers it looks like too.

Rob, I did the same thing with 90 pegs on a 70, just redrilled the holes in the right places. The holes look a bit like "8's" on mine because the new hole and original were so close, but they worked great... and the pegs are almost the same width as the rear tires.

CRAZY70MAN
09-19-2010, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

Andy, you are welcome to come out here when we get ramped up. I will try to give you some notice.
We usually play hard when it gets cold outside November and on.

Ok.. Made some more progress today.
I went to the junk yard and brought home 3 dirtbike seats. The one looks like it is gonna be perfect for modding.
Also picked up some paint and stuff, and tomorrow I am gonna say the hell with the chores, and hit it hard with seat and tank mods and some teardown and cosmetic freshing up..

So it looks like I will be off this thing for a few days or so till I can get the items painted and seat fabbed.

Great deal.......ya, give me a little notice in advance about any 70 events or such......got mine tore down as you may have seen. I have another 90cc that I need to get going as well for the winter. As 350xer said, my pegs also had the hole almost side by side. They have been tested though and held well. I had no spacer issues, just a bit longer bolts as none of the china motors seem to be the same for tap depth etc...... Gonna keep an eye on you build....pm me when you guys get ready to smack the 70's around or just have Mark gimmie a shout. Thanks

Mosh
09-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Ok well, not much progress and I am sad to say that all I have gotten done is some more "prototype" work.
So last weekend I went to the junkyard and carried home a few seats to play with.
I settled with this one.
Dont ask me what it was, I dont know. There was no Maker numbers on it, which leads me to believe it is a china knock off seat.
So I cut the rear pan down about 3 inches, and cut the front pan down about 5 inches, broke out the heat gun, warped the pan, then shaved and fit the foam.
Made some brackets and adapted this seat to the stock 70 plastics and front bracket.
Time moves slow in my shop, as I am limited to dremmels, and die grinders. Anything needing welded, I have to take to work to do.
My goal was to make a mini 250R seat..The whole point of this build cosmetically is to mimic my 250R..
So 8 hours of work later and here is where I am at.
Yes the rear fenders are painted, just so I can get an idea of what color I want to buy and shave in the end.

I have decided to name this project "Suspect 70"

So I have some more fitting and refining to do, and I know which way I am gonna go.
Also adapted a LT 80 Throttle cable I had laying around to the throttle set-up and touched up a few small parts with paint.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/Bike%20pics/IMG_1559.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/Bike%20pics/IMG_1562.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/Bike%20pics/IMG_1563.jpg

I still have alot of refining to do in the fit and finish category, but I will make it work.
Just gonna take some time. This will be the last update for awhile.
Hopefully, the next update will show the deal 90% done.
I plan on taking down the forks and rims next for some paint.

CRAZY70MAN
09-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Ok well, not much progress and I am sad to say that all I have gotten done is some more "prototype" work.
So last weekend I went to the junkyard and carried home a few seats to play with.
I settled with this one.
Dont ask me what it was, I dont know. There was no Maker numbers on it, which leads me to believe it is a china knock off seat.
So I cut the rear pan down about 3 inches, and cut the front pan down about 5 inches, broke out the heat gun, warped the pan, then shaved and fit the foam.
Made some brackets and adapted this seat to the stock 70 plastics and front bracket.
Time moves slow in my shop, as I am limited to dremmels, and die grinders. Anything needing welded, I have to take to work to do.
My goal was to make a mini 250R seat..The whole point of this build cosmetically is to mimic my 250R..
So 8 hours of work later and here is where I am at.
Yes the rear fenders are painted, just so I can get an idea of what color I want to buy and shave in the end.

I have decided to name this project "Suspect 70"

So I have some more fitting and refining to do, and I know which way I am gonna go.
Also adapted a LT 80 Throttle cable I had laying around to the throttle set-up and touched up a few small parts with paint.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/Bike%20pics/IMG_1559.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/Bike%20pics/IMG_1562.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/Bike%20pics/IMG_1563.jpg

I still have alot of refining to do in the fit and finish category, but I will make it work.
Just gonna take some time. This will be the last update for awhile.
Hopefully, the next update will show the deal 90% done.
I plan on taking down the forks and rims next for some paint.

Great name...........great work as well!! It sure is shapin' up. "Any description of the "SUSPECT 70 RIDER" mam????:rolleyes::wondering:wondering:lol::lol:

atc350xer
09-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Looking good Rob... can't wait to get a pit bike motor for one of mine

Vealmonkey
09-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Mosh, for my footpegs, I took the stock 70 footpegs and cut them out of the footpeg bracket with a 4" cutting disc. Then I split my footpegs into 2 pieces. I then had my welder guy at work, weld me in a 3" or
4" spacer between my footpegs so my pegs would clear my wider clutch sidecover. Then I had the footpeg assembly welded back into the footpeg bracket. You can rotate your footpegs around some if you wish for more legroom. There are very few tack welds holding the stock 70 footpegs to the bracket. The spaced out pegs are now very securely welded into the bracket, even sturdier than stock. Maybe an idea that will work for you? And of course it still looks all stock. With some work on the heel guards, you could probably even get them to fit with the wider footpegs and bolt to the stock locations as well. As far as the 70 seat goes, have you thought about using the stock 70 seat pan and maybe welding some sheetmetal onto the front of it and then custom shaving down some foam to better resemble the 250r seat? Just a thought.

atc350xer
10-06-2010, 12:07 AM
How goes the build, Rob? I have a question for you, and didn't know how to put pics in a PM... your build inspired me to get started on one, and I wanted to know if you could mod this seat to work with this tank and 70 fenders(or some other fenders if I find something soon). I can cut the pan, but the foam would need fixed (the seat will sit flatter than original) and it'll need covered.

UndefinedT
10-06-2010, 12:57 AM
sweet project.

gotta get me one of these :naughty:

i'll have terry at firepower build me a motor for it!

Mosh
10-06-2010, 06:55 PM
How goes the build, Rob? I have a question for you, and didn't know how to put pics in a PM... your build inspired me to get started on one, and I wanted to know if you could mod this seat to work with this tank and 70 fenders(or some other fenders if I find something soon). I can cut the pan, but the foam would need fixed (the seat will sit flatter than original) and it'll need covered.
I have not really done anything new to mine but ride it. I just havent had any time. I did replce the rear brakes I smoked a few weeks ago.

Yeah I could do something with that seat.

That seat actually fits the 70 plastic better than mine.
The cavity at the rear of the 70 fenders is what is hard to work with.
I bult some support risers that bolt through the plastic and pan, then pass down thru the holes on the bottom of the frame, then you thread nuts up under the plastic at the rear of the frame.
Then I also drilled through the front of the pan, made a drop down stud bracket, that bolted to the stock 70 front fender bracket.
So you basically bolt the seat and fenders on the plastic and in the stock areas just like a 70 does.

Once you cut the pan, that is what you will get back from me. I would rather cut the foam for you, so I can get the back to fit in properly with a cover,and then shave it to the height and flow you want.

atc350xer
10-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Yeah I could do something with that seat.

Great! I was at the scrapyard and found the tank and seat and thought they may work together. I have no idea what either is from, other than they're both from Honda dirtbikes. I'll PM you when it's time, thanks!

Matt

Mosh
01-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Just a bump on this.

I did find a good throttle set-up instead of the stock thumb for the 70 and cable.

If you buy a Piranha Twist cable, and run a 300ex thumber these work together good.
You will have to drill the old barrel out of your stock 70 carb cap and grind it down to fit the bigger carb cap so the twist cable sets in it.

I need to get up some new pics, since I got my head light on and CRF shrouds.

ditchmud
01-31-2011, 05:48 PM
Rob, is the motor that you chose capable of installing a flyin brian pull start? I am doin a 70 for Chase and I am having a hard time choosing a motor. I either want electric or pull start because I dont want to cut up the fender.

Mosh
01-31-2011, 06:13 PM
Yes Dicth. I actually have the kit ready to go, just never bolted it on because there was no need to.
He mods the sidecover and welds in the voids, then will cut your old 70 pull start cage to fit the flywheel, then gives you a spacer plate for the recoil cover.

Thorpe
09-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Any updates??

Mosh
05-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Not really any updates. I am still just riding it and the engine is holding up well.

I never did get any pics with the CRF shrouds, but here is one for now.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/Bike%20pics/IMG_2563.jpg