PDA

View Full Version : Gun Rack

northerntrike
09-03-2010, 08:47 AM
I'm looking for a good place to mount a gun rack on my big red. Where would you guys recomend I mount it. I want it to be easily accessible when I'm driving down those side roads looking for birds.

bobotech
09-03-2010, 11:01 AM
A lot of guys will use a pair of single gun mounts on either side of the handlebars. One bracket on the left side, and the other on the right side. The rifle is right in front of you.

Thorpe
09-03-2010, 12:59 PM
I have mine mounted on my front rack of my BR...

harryredtrike
09-03-2010, 01:12 PM
i hope you mount it up and down and not side to side.

Grizzlypeg
09-03-2010, 02:08 PM
I'm thinking a scabbord type case, like Kolpin makes, mounted parallel to the front forks. It might get some brush and tall weeds scraping up against it, but it will be less likely to subject the rifle to a bend from having the trike pass too close to a tree, or if the trike rolled.

Thorpe
09-03-2010, 04:48 PM
i hope you mount it up and down and not side to side.

Nope... Horizontal... Where we hunt, we have to manual pull out to the trail and then BR takes over from there. The trails are big and wide, could drive my Jeep back there pretty easy, but whats the fun in that? My rack pops off easy, and I can move it to the rear rack if I was ever going into the deep woods...

ktmbk
09-04-2010, 04:20 PM
When I got my 185s it had two wishbone style gun mounts on the handlebars. The previous owner said it worked great for deer hunting, the gun secured with rubber straps like giant rubber bands so it could come out easy. When he got a deer he wraped it in a tarp and dragged it out to his truck with the bike.

northerntrike
09-15-2010, 09:13 PM
I went down to the local atv dealer to see what they had. Not a single gun rack or mounting system of any sorts for atvs. And this is only a couple weeks before hunting season. So much for buying one. I ended up making a rear mount horizontal rack for the time being. It works great. There are pics of it in my "lovin' it, my first trike" thread.

jrwebb8324
09-15-2010, 09:17 PM
you might check your local wal-mart, northern. There is a wal-mart close to where i live that sells the gun racks for atv's for twenty dollars.

oldtime3wheeler
09-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Here's how the wishbone stlye looks on a big red front rack. Also Northerntrike let me know if your interested in this style holder. I have this set for sale.

northerntrike
09-15-2010, 09:45 PM
The closest wallmart to where I live is a three hour drive. I'm heading that way in a couple weeks and plan on piking up a set when I go. Thanks for the pics and the offer oldtime3wheeler. I'll manage with the setup I have right now for a couple weeks till I get to the city. I plan on picking up a few other items for the trike while I'm there.

skypilot
09-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Hey guy, have an oem gun rack for my 85 big red, it was on it when i bought it. Mounts on the front handlebars, can be changed to point forward, or sideways! It is for sale! Pics if interested! Holds two guns!

Silverado
09-16-2010, 11:49 AM
I have mine on the back rack, right side, pointing down, ill take some pics. I went with Kolpin.

works well