PDA

View Full Version : Going to try chroming my exhaust tomorrow. any tips?

dream3wheeler
09-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Any tips on what kind of paint to use? any tips on how to make it look really nice? if i dont get any responce im just going to sand the whole thing down, get everything off that i can and hang the exhaust from the ceiling and start painting.:p

swampthang
09-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Ive never seen any high temperature chrome paint before but i know the fake chrome spray paint looks like crap. Id recommend a flat black or a gloss black high temperature. Get the highest temp paint you can find something over 1000 degrees header pipes get real hot.

350Xccelerator
09-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Are you getting it chromed professionally, or are you talking about chrome spray paint?

dream3wheeler
09-01-2010, 10:32 PM
well i wanted to see if i could get some high temp chrome spray paint, but if i cant find it i was going to go with black anyways cause its the original color of the pipe. im just looking to make it look better or look cool or something

350Xccelerator
09-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Dont use chrome spray paint. Its just Silver paint not chrome. A high temp flat black would be best.

dream3wheeler
09-01-2010, 10:38 PM
the only thing about black is it sucks along with the color of the engine, and the previous owner painted the heat gaurd chrome and he said he wanted to buy some more chrome paint and do the whole exhaust but he wanted to just trade his for my old yt175

HuffieVA
09-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Has anyone tried gun bluing? I've been seriously considering trying it on my DG pipe on my tecate?

swampthang
09-01-2010, 10:44 PM
I used rustoleum bbq flat black on my 200x pipe the other day and it seemed to be a flat grey instead of black. I might paint it gloss black and see how that looks but either way it looks better than a rusty stock pipe.

dream3wheeler
09-01-2010, 10:46 PM
true. ill just go with black, if i dont like it what do you think a professional chroming would cost?

swampthang
09-01-2010, 10:51 PM
more than the trike

bigbadktm
09-01-2010, 11:17 PM
get it ceramic coated, and dont worry about it getting too hot, cools down within minutes

dream3wheeler
09-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Would ceramic coating aluminum paint work? could i go on long rides without it getting so hot it burns off or chips?

harryredtrike
09-02-2010, 12:52 AM
ive had some luck with the ceramic paint,but prep is king.it must be very clean pits and all.use several coats and let it cure.

ForeverThreeWhe
09-03-2010, 10:52 AM
true. ill just go with black, if i dont like it what do you think a professional chroming would cost?

Its EXPENSIVE! Around $200 - $250 to do an exhaust in Australia!

RIDE-RED 250r
09-03-2010, 10:59 AM
true ceramic coating will look similar to chrome and is extremely tough. stands up to all the heat your angine can throw at it and then some......
check this out... http://www.dynoport.wingnutwebinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52

This is Dynoport in Union Springs NY. i know they will do a dirty sled pipe for $115, they just might do your ATC pipe as well, i dont see why they wouldnt. but as you can see, a ceremic coated pipe once finished is nice and shiny, not the mirror finish of chrome, but MUCH more durable and looks really nice.....

bobotech
09-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Has anyone tried gun bluing? I've been seriously considering trying it on my DG pipe on my tecate?

Do you know what gun bluing actually is? Its controlled rusting of the part. It isn't a really durable coating at all if exposed to the elements and rough service. Will end up rusting like mad.

HuffieVA
09-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Do you know what gun bluing actually is? Its controlled rusting of the part. It isn't a really durable coating at all if exposed to the elements and rough service. Will end up rusting like mad.

Yes, I know exactly what it is, My curiosity is to how heat affects it, and my goal is to keep the pipe with as natural a finish as possible for a "Works Trike" look. By the way its not "Controlled Rusting" its a rust inhibitor, not like primer/paint but an inhibitor none the less

bobotech
09-04-2010, 03:15 AM
Yes, I know exactly what it is, My curiosity is to how heat affects it, and my goal is to keep the pipe with as natural a finish as possible for a "Works Trike" look. By the way its not "Controlled Rusting" its a rust inhibitor, not like primer/paint but an inhibitor none the less

Well the chemical process is a controlled oxidizing so it is a form of controlled rusting. The big problem is that the rust inhibitor will only work in the presence of oil but the hot exhaust will burn off the oil so it again will start rusting like crazy. You actually use salts in the process of hot bluing. If the bluing is left dry with no oil, it will rust like mad.