PDA

View Full Version : Honda atc200m new owner

wolfy00
08-31-2010, 01:33 PM
Hi Guys! I am new to the trike world and had a few questions about my atc200m. I got it recently for about 110 bucks and now that its home i see it needs a few parts. Seems like underneath the pull start cover there is nothing there lol. Just the pull start gear. Where can i Get a pull start kit for a good price? I checked bikebandits but they want to sell me each part individually which is kinda nuts. Also can I start this baby up without the pullstart? First time trike owner so sorry for the noob questions hehehe.

Thx
Al

84honda200s
08-31-2010, 01:39 PM
welcome to 3ww !!! yes you can start it off the starter without the pull stater. your best bet for parts is here in the classifieds or ebay. but if your willing to spend the money you can go to a honda dealer, dennis kirk, and bike bandit.

wolfy00
08-31-2010, 01:42 PM
Thx for the welcome! So how do i start it then? Push it downhill with the ignition on and kick it into gear?

HuffieVA
08-31-2010, 01:51 PM
A 200M should have electric start as well as pull start, but you can pop start them by holding the shifter down till you get moving then releasing it (clutch wont engage until you release the shifter)

wolfy00
08-31-2010, 02:50 PM
woah it supposed to have a electric start as well? hmm I think i'm missing that part too lol. Ill post a pic of the side of the trike and u guys tell me whats missing.

MonroeMike
08-31-2010, 09:27 PM
Welcome to the board.

EarlyBronocGuy
09-01-2010, 09:24 AM
woah it supposed to have a electric start as well? hmm I think i'm missing that part too lol. Ill post a pic of the side of the trike and u guys tell me whats missing.

You sure it's a 200m?

The front downtube of a 200m frame will have a slight clearance "dent" in it about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom, to clear the starter on the engine - it mounts crosswise to the front of the engine, with the drive end fitting into a housing between the main case and the pull start housing. 200m's also have a battery box behind the engine, a starter solenoid, a start pushbutton underneath the headlight/kill switch on the left side of the handlebar, etc.

wolfy00
09-01-2010, 03:20 PM
yup its a 200m. Says so on the sticker. So I went and bought a new battery for this baby. And lo and behold I can only find one battery cable hahahaha. Im posting a few pics, u guys tell me where the battery cables are supposed to come out of. Do I have to host the image somewhere else to post on the site?

thestud25
09-01-2010, 03:50 PM
No, you can upload them. Click "Go advanced" and insert attachment from your comp.

MonroeMike
09-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Check the manual, there might be some pics in there that will help.

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/Manuals/ATC%20manuals/ATC%20200M%2084-85%20Shop%20Manual.pdf

EarlyBronocGuy
09-01-2010, 04:46 PM
The negative battery cable should go from the - terminal of the battery to a good ground point on the engine, use one of the case bolts. The + cable goes to one post of the starter solenoid, and a cable from the other post of the solenoid goes to the starter.

wolfy00
09-02-2010, 08:13 PM
K here are the pics. I took a pic of a solenoid that seems to be sitting behind the battery. Not sure this is the one that should be wired into the battery. Seems like someone had spliced it to some other wire on the harness. Any parts missing let me know. Besides the obvious headlamp issue hehehe

wolfy00
09-03-2010, 09:21 AM
So should I take off that splice and connect the battery thru the second nut on the solenoid behind the battery? Why would they have wired the positive into the harness like that?

fabiodriven
09-03-2010, 10:23 AM
The easiest way to pop start these is to put it in second or third gear, pick the back of the machine up by the wheelie bar, walk as fast as you can with it (run if possible), and then drop it on the rear wheels.

EarlyBronocGuy
09-03-2010, 03:36 PM
K here are the pics. I took a pic of a solenoid that seems to be sitting behind the battery. Not sure this is the one that should be wired into the battery. Seems like someone had spliced it to some other wire on the harness. Any parts missing let me know. Besides the obvious headlamp issue hehehe

A solenoid is basically a heavy-duty relay, and a relay is basically an electrically controlled switch. Solenoids are used in a battery circuit to handle the several hundred amps that the starter could draw in order to turn over the motor - the starter switch actually engages the solenoid, which completes the circuit and sends power from the battery straight to the starter. A starter solenoid will have several wires connected to it - large cables connected to the big studs which handle the large amperage battery/starter current, and at least one smaller wire from the starter switch to activate the solenoid's coil.

On one of the solenoid studs, you should have a cable from the positive terminal of the battery, and a smaller wire with either an inline fuse or fusible link that supplies power to the rest of the wiring harness - this is the "hot" stud, because it always has battery voltage on it. The other stud should only have a cable that goes directly to the starter - it only has power on it when the starter is engaged.

squirrel1182
09-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Hmm i got one of these sittin in my storage/work area. aint mine but there sweet trikes. Youll love yours once you get it running right.