PDA

View Full Version : Stock Or Custom Colors

MR ATC
11-12-2002, 11:33 AM
Ok i gave my wife my 86 350X and am in the middle of restoring it from frame up. but i've hit a snag. you've all seen my 85 thats all modified and my next evolution 400X i would like to restore this (86) to original. mechanicaly it will be stock right on down to the thumb (dumb) throttle. the only non stock item's will be skid plate,chain & sprockets,handlebars, and tires. i would like to keep it stock 86 colors so we have one of each (85,86, ??400X) however i also (with her input) came up with some custom ideas with the picture posted being the one she liked best. we have already purchased the black rear fenders and the striped seat. the motor would be stripp'ed to bare aluminum. (i tried it with a black motor and red frame but it looked like crap). here is my problem i'm having a hard time straying from factory looks. the frame has been sandblasted and awaiting paint. i've tried conviencing her to keep it original but
...she's not going for it. so we have an agrement we will let the poles decide.

Wickedfinger
11-12-2002, 03:04 PM
... what are you planning on taking that beast on a safari?. Might get shot as big game lol. I saw those zebra striped seat covers at B.A.D.D. saddles but that whole thing never appealed to me . As far as straying from factory colors goes - In really depends on what mood Im in at the time I order stuff - I've never gone as wild as you want to go but I've done a few different. Other than switching around stock color schemes, I did up a '85 ATC200X with Purple Maier fenders, painted the scoops and headlight cover purple, and bought a purple and black Hi-Flight seat cover for it - it looked cool red frame, white tank purple plastic, seat. I went with all black plastic and seat when I restored my '86 Z - she looked sweet. My most famous is my '90 LT-R with all orange Maier fenders, dark blue Maier hood, and the dark blue Hi-flite seat with gripper top. Another thing is that afteralot of hard work, its nice to get nothing but compliments on "different" machines, especially if its such a pedestrian trike like a 200X. People have seem a billion Red white and blue X's, and they say, "nice bike" if its restored - but they say "wow look at that!, nice job!" when its different.

OldSchoolin86
11-12-2002, 07:14 PM
I would go with some rounder tires than that and maybe a little tread. J/k

Honestly when it comes to the classics there is nothing better looking to me than a sweet restored original looking machine. They look so clean and represent 3 wheelers in a nice way.

NOS_350X
11-12-2002, 08:40 PM
depends on what trailprotrailpro guna do if u want to put all kinds of mods on it and make it really fast then custom but if u want to make it look nice with a restored look then stock

freaksfix
11-13-2002, 12:18 AM
Nothing looks better or says HONDA louder than a clean stock X. Wether its a big bore huffing NOS, or a mint stocker, I love the red,white and blue!!

jeswinehart
11-13-2002, 12:29 AM
i would hafta do the married man thing. what ever she wants to go with then go with it. of course keep options open that it can be changed next winter she would like.

john