PDA

View Full Version : '83 250r with (factory) liquid cool?

johns'85 250sx
08-28-2010, 05:10 PM
hi y'all I got a question, I keep hearing you guys say that the '83 250r is air cooled, but mine is liquid cool and looks possibly stock? could I be wrong?, or someone put an '86 engine in an '83 frame? the radiator location is (if you're sitting on the thing) under the left side of the tank and is mounted to the frame"downtube"?(if you look between the valve cover and the frame and the tank you can see part of the radiator) , and someone hacked the plastics up that go down from the tank near the front where this thing is mounted and did the same on the other side.trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro idiot previous owner didn't realize that the plastics wouldn't even interfere and hacked 'em up!, but any ideas about the liquid cool? thanks for any future replies!
http://i33.tinypic.com/rjr3bm.jpg

RodKnockRacing
08-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Back in the day DG made a watercooled head for the 83 R but I don't see that in the picture I just a see stock head. Could you get some better pics of what you think is the radiator.

88 Turbo Coupe
08-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Looks to me to be a stock 250r with a blown base gasket.

johns'85 250sx
08-28-2010, 05:24 PM
yeah, I'll be up @ the place where I keep them on Tuesday

johns'85 250sx
08-28-2010, 05:25 PM
@ 88 turbo coupe, how do I tell if that's what that oily lookin' mess is?, then how do I fix that?

fabiodriven
08-28-2010, 06:07 PM
I don't understand what you're talking about. That's an air-cooled R right there.

And it doesn't have a "Valve cover" because it has no valves.

swampthang
08-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Maybe a reservoir for the rear shock?

dcreel
08-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Looks to me like the backside of the expansion chamber. If there is a radiator there, where does the pipe go?

Vealmonkey
08-28-2010, 07:26 PM
It seems to me that if this member has a radiator of some kind that runs alongside the valve cover, then maybe he has the rare liquide cooled prototype here! LOL Seriously though. Get a shop manual. You are actually scaring me here with your questions and observations. I think this thread should be better left alone since the poster seems to be misinformed so badly. Sorry, but you are bringing this on yourself. And the best part is, you only post one picture of the total opposite side of the trike than what your question is about. Best of luck getting this watercooled 83 going. I'm afraid you are going to need it.

Pintowagon77
08-28-2010, 09:00 PM
i agree- one question though, dose your "radiatior" have a spark plug screwed in it?

David komatina
08-28-2010, 09:06 PM
bahaahahahahahha
i agree- one question though, dose your "radiatior" have a spark plug screwed in it?

atcrider1
08-28-2010, 10:30 PM
i doubt it, but it could be a 350x and hes lookin at the oil cooler, do 200x's have oil coolers?

Pintowagon77
08-28-2010, 10:32 PM
hehe it might have a boost bottle to but i think he dosn't know his expansion chamber from a radiatior cuz it has a heat sheild with air holes...

Dirtcrasher
08-28-2010, 10:38 PM
It's the wrong side but at least he provided a picture.......

Saves us 4 pages of wondering :rolleyes: Each fin may have been micro-drilled to an impeller driven by the steering stem :D

Yamaha_Rules69
08-28-2010, 11:32 PM
ATC rider 1, that is deffinatly NOT a 350x engine. The motor is positively a 83R, and I agree with all the above that is looks stock to me, and I dont see any liquid cooled components. Take the tank off and get better pics!

NINJA
08-29-2010, 12:24 AM
I smell troll dung!

88 Turbo Coupe
08-29-2010, 06:55 AM
Dung right! lol

dksix
08-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Does any of the water cooled engines have fins on the head or cylinder? I think everything I've ever seen, that was water cooled, was fin-less and fins were on air cooled engines to create surface area to dissipate the heat on air cooled engines.

dcreel
08-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Here is a picture of an 83-84 250R with the water cooled head on it. You can see the hoses going up to the radiator mounted on the triple trees.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/001_crop.jpg

This is a WORKS Honda 250R with the water cooled cylinder and head. If you had this bike in your barn, you'd be sitting on a goldmine.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/002-12.jpg

Dirtcrasher
08-29-2010, 01:00 PM
Does any of the water cooled engines have fins on the head or cylinder? I think everything I've ever seen, that was water cooled, was fin-less and fins were on air cooled engines to create surface area to dissipate the heat on air cooled engines.

Although water cooled, I've often wondered why they don't also have some short fins on liquid cooled engines? My thought was that it couldn't hurt but maybe between the radiators and the impeller, the engineers know it would run at "X" degrees. Isn't the Tri-Z the only one with a thermostat?? I think the rest are constantly flowing fluid.............

NICE PICS DCREEL!! The second pis looks like the jug got some water cooling too!!??

hang&rattle
08-29-2010, 01:11 PM
dcreel, you have the coolest stuff and the neatest sense of history, I tip my hat to you bud.

dcreel
08-29-2010, 01:21 PM
dcreel, you have the coolest stuff and the neatest sense of history, I tip my hat to you bud.

Believe me if I could go back to to California in the 80's, I'd warp there in a heartbeat. Trikes, real music, even the warped sense of fashion. Growing up during the trike boom was awesome.

Iprefer3
08-29-2010, 01:43 PM
The bottom line is your wrong....There is no water jackets on that engine therefore it is impossable to be liquid cooled. You must be looking at something else.

KASEY
08-29-2010, 02:22 PM
does any of the water cooled engines have fins on the head or cylinder? I think everything i've ever seen, that was water cooled, was fin-less and fins were on air cooled engines to create surface area to dissipate the heat on air cooled engines.

there are alot of finned watercooled motors out there....

KASEY
08-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Believe me if I could go back to to California in the 80's, I'd warp there in a heartbeat. Trikes, real music, even the warped sense of fashion. Growing up during the trike boom was awesome.

not to mention buying a few things to make life a little nicer when you get back!!! like 10,000 shares of microsoft!!!!! i would live in the streets and buy every share i could!!!!

dksix
08-29-2010, 02:44 PM
there are alot of finned watercooled motors out there....

Are you talking about finned water cooled bike engines or like other types of engines, such a industrial engine or water craft etc. ? I know very little about engines. Are these older, like the first of the water cooled small engines or are they still being produced and used? Is there any new 2 stroke engines being build that would be suitable for use in a trike?

Pintowagon77
08-29-2010, 08:20 PM
i guess i will: If you don't know that much about engines don't wast your time with the questions you are asking...
Let me answer a few things:
Lets assume you are talking about the bike in the ONE photo you posted. That bike IS a 83 or 84 atc250r. im leaning twords an 83 because the tank decals look smal and one other thing but don't want to confuse anyone. Anyway- a 83or 84 atc250r was aircooled from the factory- period. There were 2 maybe 3 different water cooled heads you could put on but it didn't cool the cylinder directly because aircooled motors don't have water jackets nor a water pump. Unless an external pump was used there would be no way to circulate the water throught the motor to the water jackets to even make a difference. And that bike is not one of the Works or Coe bikes cuz those are accounted for.
Just to answer two stroke motorcyles are nolonger being produced, stoped in 2006 i think. As for something that could be used in a atc or motorcycle: no one makes a 'new' type of 2 stroke. Any 'new' motor you would get would either be a motor that WAS produced and just a rebuid or something. Even the Cheeta Banshee motors are based of a Banshee motor- AND it is a waist of time and effort to put a water cooled motor in a aircooled atc frame. WAY TO MUCH WORK AND NEVER WORKS.
Fins are taken off water cooled motors because they arn't nessasary in the last 20yrs with the advances, also it keeps the size of the motor/ bike down.

Thorpe
08-29-2010, 08:27 PM
James... Did I hear a 9er???

fabiodriven
08-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Just to answer two stroke motorcyles are nolonger being produced, stoped in 2006 i think. As for something that could be used in a atc or motorcycle: no one makes a 'new' type of 2 stroke.

http://twostrokemotocross.com/2009/09/the-2010-yamaha-yz-two-stroke-line-up/

dcreel
08-29-2010, 08:52 PM
i guess i will: If you don't know that much about engines don't wast your time with the questions you are asking...
Let me answer a few things:
Lets assume you are talking about the bike in the ONE photo you posted. That bike IS a 83 or 84 atc250r. im leaning twords an 83 because the tank decals look smal and one other thing but don't want to confuse anyone. Anyway- a 83or 84 atc250r was aircooled from the factory- period. There were 2 maybe 3 different water cooled heads you could put on but it didn't cool the cylinder directly because aircooled motors don't have water jackets nor a water pump. Unless an external pump was used there would be no way to circulate the water throught the motor to the water jackets to even make a difference. And that bike is not one of the Works or Coe bikes cuz those are accounted for.
Just to answer two stroke motorcyles are nolonger being produced, stoped in 2006 i think. As for something that could be used in a atc or motorcycle: no one makes a 'new' type of 2 stroke. Any 'new' motor you would get would either be a motor that WAS produced and just a rebuid or something. Even the Cheeta Banshee motors are based of a Banshee motor- AND it is a waist of time and effort to put a water cooled motor in a aircooled atc frame. WAY TO MUCH WORK AND NEVER WORKS.
Fins are taken off water cooled motors because they arn't nessasary in the last 20yrs with the advances, also it keeps the size of the motor/ bike down.

Yamaha still sells the YZ85, 125 and 250. The Banshee is still being sold in other areas of the world. Kawasaki still sells the KX65, 85, and 100. KTM still sells a lot of 2 stroke models. Service Honda supports 2 stroke lovers in a huge way, all the way to offering 400ex owners a 250R conversion kit. The Cheetah banshee cylinder kits are a completely different casting than the Banshee cylinder. As far as not putting a water cooled engine in an 83-84 250R frame.. It's your bike, just show us your progress as you go along.

If he doesn't know that much about engines.. isn't this the place to ask?

code200k
08-29-2010, 09:51 PM
http://twostrokemotocross.com/2009/09/the-2010-yamaha-yz-two-stroke-line-up/

thank you fabio.

Ironbnder
08-29-2010, 09:57 PM
We have gotten way off course here.

To Pintowagon77- The guy with the dumb questions you are education is not the guy who started this thread with the water cooled 84 250R. I think this guy has just jumped in here for some other reason.

To Johns'85250sx- Please give us some pics of what you think is a radiator and explain your assumption to this being a water cooled machine. Or admit this was a joke......... cause it really does not make any sense as to the facts you have provided us.

HuffieVA
08-29-2010, 10:21 PM
two stroke motorcyles are nolonger being produced, stoped in 2006 i think.

You thinking is a bit off... Yamaha, Husqvarna, KTM, Gas Gas, TM, ATK and a few other smaller European brands still import full sized 2 strokes, three of the big four still import minis (65's & 85's) and Husaburg is coming out with two strokes next year and Maico is going to start importing again next year through "Dirt Works Inc." Suzuki still produces 125's and 250's and markets them in Europe, and rumor has it Kawasaki is going to do the same next year. Two strokes are far from dead and with the extreeme cost of maintaining the new "Time Bomb" four strokes the only thing keeping the big four from seriously marketing them is the AMA's offset displacement handicap rules making 250's run with the 450 four strokes and the 125's run with the 250 four strokes. The EPA has nothing to do with it as competition models are exempt from the smog rules. Get the AMA to fix their pro rules and the four strokes will be extinct the next race (with the exception of the kids that cant learn to ride them because they grew up on four strokes).....

Sorry for the rant but I refuse to buy anything but a two stroke unless you can put plates on it and ride it on the interstate...
Sorry HONDA but when you released the "We are a green company, and we will never sell another two stroke" :crazy: announcement you lost any chance of selling me anything including a generator or lawn mower :mad:... Its all Harley's, Husky's and Vintage bikes for me...

David komatina
08-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Hey in the top pic the motor looks diferent than the botom one the twoo heads look diferent u think they made two diferent versions? Man it would b awsome to get ahold of that head!
Here is a picture of an 83-84 250R with the water cooled head on it. You can see the hoses going up to the radiator mounted on the triple trees.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/001_crop.jpg

This is a WORKS Honda 250R with the water cooled cylinder and head. If you had this bike in your barn, you'd be sitting on a goldmine.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/002-12.jpg

Dirtcrasher
08-29-2010, 10:49 PM
And 2 stroke KTM's as well......................

fabiodriven
08-30-2010, 08:32 AM
Hey in the top pic the motor looks diferent than the botom one the twoo heads look diferent u think they made two diferent versions? Man it would b awsome to get ahold of that head!

The head? Did you not notice the whole jug is different?

dksix
08-30-2010, 08:52 AM
We have gotten way off course here.
To Pintowagon77- The guy with the dumb questions you are education is not the guy who started this thread with the water cooled 84 250R. I think this guy has just jumped in here for some other reason.

Sorry for the dumb questions, in the future I'll be more careful.

haggard 2hundie
08-30-2010, 07:29 PM
good read .... where would you add the coolant ??...seriouslly though take it easy on the guy we all gotta start somewhere

Deathrocket
08-31-2010, 10:55 PM
watercooled head on an air cooled motor.. i like it but.. boy that motor is ugly.. of course.. i would be saying somthing like.. that guy whipped the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro out of me and my 81r but did you see how ugly that motor is? lol

Vealmonkey
09-01-2010, 02:34 PM
They sort of nicknamed those heads percolators because they only had natural circulation, not circulation by a waterpump. Hot water would rise and go through the cooler and the cool water would return back to the cylinder head. They weren't the best, but it was an improvement. And the 2 trikes are a generation apart. 83-84 250r is the second generation and the 85-86 is the third generation and the 85-86 atc250r were watercooled.

Pintowagon77
09-02-2010, 01:46 PM
sorry for the rant- as for 2 strokes being prodused guess i didn't take in acount the new production bikes and aftermarket things- and i don't ride yamaha been let down to many times. i was only refering to his admited knowlege of motors with his desire to put a compleately diffrerent motor, requireing many mods. but you got to start from somewhere so these guess wil teach ya-

Xpress
09-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks to blue27, we might be able to shed some light. If it looks like this thing below the temporary lawnmower tank:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103593&d=1191178152

Then it's not a radiator, at least not to cool the engine.

(and I'm wondering why a 2 stroke would have an oil cooler?)

willrideanythin
09-02-2010, 09:58 PM
To cool the oil. I couldnt resist.

NINJA
09-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Like I'd said, troll crap!

Tecate250
09-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Heheheh Pintonwagon you should not have even opened your mouth about stuff you dont even know or claim you do and call out another person. For one there are alot of perculating water cooled motors. Like the water cooled honda oddyessys, Oh and didnt anyone hear about the E TEC motor???? Guess thats only in canada. As far as this thread goes. MANY of you guys have "seen it all" attitude and think you seen it all when you havent. Mabey buddy posted a wrong pic. Mabey he just dont know and "thought" like alot of you he was right. Inturn I have seen many good board members push people away from this form with there attitude. The whole pic or shut blah blah blah attitude sucks bad and is not from a die hard triker. To help is why where here. And I hope he is right and shoves it so far in your faces. Just to prove a point. Anyway. I hope this guy does come back. 3 pages of babies wineing.

hang&rattle
09-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Here, Here, Tecate250. I agree with ending ignorant witch hunts. I got jumped on, on another site because some one had a different lifestyle and ideas and mine are not the same. I didn't even ask a question, I showed my kids enjoying their trikes. I won't bother with the sites if some one pisses me off. I have plenty of trike friends to help directly. If someone gets stupid, a guy should be able to school him back without getting in trouble for it.

NINJA
09-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Just found his other posts. Apparently the previous owner had attempted to rig up an oil cooler on it, for the tranny? Very odd. So I take back what I said about him trolling. He's probably just staying away from this thread because it has turned into a mess.

Here's the link to the other thread:
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?118214-leaky-bottom-end-gasket-on-a-83-250r-(AIR-COOLED)&p=908746&highlight=#p