PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinions of Front Tire Choices for 3 Wheelers

ChopDunkSplit
08-28-2010, 02:19 AM
I recently just bought my 1st 3 Wheeler a '86 ATC 250r, and I've been doing a LOT of searching for wheels, tires, etc etc because I want this thing looking as sharp as possible, I've got a used '86 200x front wheel/hub/brake disc on the way and about to have a new Douglas Red Label .190 Model no. 017-02 front polished wheel on the way also. (I've read several articles where people thought they stopped making these Douglas rims but I found a site, if anyone is interested). Now I'm looking for opinions on which tire you guys think look the best. Note I have Innova Sand Gears on Polished wheels on the rear. This front tire will be prob 75% Cosmetic/25% Functionality as I don't race, so I wont be depending on this tire for getting me across a finish line or anything just want something that looks good and functional. Through my searches these are the tires I found to fit 11" wheels I'll sort through makes/~models, and CAPS the ones I personally found attractive, but I'd love some feedback opinions of experienced 3 wheeler riders.
Kenda
~FRONT MAX
~Bearclaw
GBC
~GATOR
~DIRT DEVILS
Carlisle
~489's
~Trail Wolf
Dunlop
~KT151
Super Grip
~Mud Lites

mike1979
08-28-2010, 06:12 AM
First of all, nice choice for a first trike. I have the Kenda Front Max on my 350x. It doesn't seem to be a bad tire but as far as looks, I will probably end up look for something that resembles the Ohtsu tire. so from your list, and going just by looks the 489's or the KT151 but I am sure there are other out there

ChopDunkSplit
08-28-2010, 06:27 AM
Ya the 489's and the Dirt Devils are prob my top 2.. but I tried imagining in my mind the Gator on it, which I thought with a deeper lug, it would work well with the Sand Gear. Dont think I have run across an Ohtsu tire tho? Was it discontinued or something?
Oh also Im very curious.. I'm new to the Trikes maybe someone can help me out, will a 23x8-11 (or taller tire) fit good on 250r's without rubbing the forks or exhaust? or what the best tire dimensions?

yj350
08-28-2010, 09:39 AM
check out the duro di-2012 it looks like a holeshot and is 22x7x11 not many places carry them but check out Tiresunlimited.com I know they can get them you may have to call though.

ChopDunkSplit
08-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Nice, thanks I haven't checked out Tiresunlimited... I'll stroll on over there now and check'em out

ChopDunkSplit
08-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Eh, I checked out the Duro DI2012's... only come in 10'', BUT the DI2010's (Buffalo) dont look too bad.. come in 11''s

yj350
08-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Eh, I checked out the Duro DI2012's... only come in 10'', BUT the DI2010's (Buffalo) dont look too bad.. come in 11''s
Call them they can get it for you it is not a listed part. There is a dude on ebay selling them also. I called duro to get info on them and they said to call tires unlimited and they would set me up. The only reason I did not buy them is because I got 2 10 inch douglas rims for the front of my r.

Xpress
08-29-2010, 01:05 AM
Gee, that's quite a trike for a first...

If you ask me, I'd say it's quite sharp already. Might want to consider going gold rims all around, and maxxis razor's in the rear for a nice, flat and SHARP look :)

KASEY
08-29-2010, 01:17 AM
IF YOUR RIDING SAND,,, GET A MOHAWK,,, otherwise stay with the original tire,, its the besrt tire out there for a 250r

3wheelrider
08-29-2010, 01:34 AM
Ya the 489's and the Dirt Devils are prob my top 2.. but I tried imagining in my mind the Gator on it, which I thought with a deeper lug, it would work well with the Sand Gear. Dont think I have run across an Ohtsu tire tho? Was it discontinued or something?
Oh also Im very curious.. I'm new to the Trikes maybe someone can help me out, will a 23x8-11 (or taller tire) fit good on 250r's without rubbing the forks or exhaust? or what the best tire dimensions?

23.5x8x11 is the size that it takes. You can put the 23x8x11 also. I wouldnt stray away from those sizes if i was you. Also- not all tread patterns work well on the front of these bikes. Especially turning around on pavement! -can cause it to shimmy the front tire back and forth with some patterns. the kenda maxx works very well imo- although may not look right . The stock front tire works well but you can forget about getting it new. Oh yeah- that front hub from the 200x wont work. Looks the same but not as wide i believe. Gonna cause clearance issues- pretty sure. good luck.

ChopDunkSplit
08-29-2010, 05:12 AM
Gee, that's quite a trike for a first...

If you ask me, I'd say it's quite sharp already. Might want to consider going gold rims all around, and maxxis razor's in the rear for a nice, flat and SHARP look :)

Thank you Xpress, I've always loved 2 strokes.. I've rode many 2 strokes in the past.. Blasters, Banshees, 250r 4whereels, and more but never actually owned one... my old friend had a 250r or 350x back when I was in grade school ( so long I cant even remember what it was).. that was the LAST trike/3 wheeler I seen around these parts had to been at least 10 years ago.. I have a Mud Machine (750 Brute Force in sig.).. and figured I needed a race type to complement it.. so here I am.. in 3 Wheel Fever.. FYI, I want to have 2 sets of tires for this bike.. the Golds are gonna be stock for show( which I have already), and a Polished Aluminum Set for actual riding..

250rAL
08-29-2010, 11:16 AM
IF YOUR RIDING SAND,,, GET A MOHAWK,,, otherwise stay with the original tire,, its the besrt tire out there for a 250r

I agree. It looks like it's got most of it's tread left so there's no reason to get rid of it.

ChopDunkSplit
08-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Thanks all who replied.. think I have it figured out now.. Gonna go with the Carlisle 489 on front and Sand Gears on rear on the Polished rims for Sand Riding, and keep the stock front with some Maxxis Razrs on rear on the stock Gold rims for Dirt/Trail... Think these 2 combos will turn out nicely

ChopDunkSplit
08-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Does anyone happen to know what kind of rear tires these are by chance? I've searched the web till I'm Tired of looking at tires and havent run across these yet.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k28/Nick_R_23/88atc250r.jpg

three_wheelin45
08-30-2010, 05:42 PM
I think them are fast trekker's.. If i can remember correctly; My ole blaster had em ;)

SYKO
08-30-2010, 05:56 PM
check out the duro di-2012 it looks like a holeshot and is 22x7x11 not many places carry them but check out Tiresunlimited.com I know they can get them you may have to call though.

oh snap!!! I wish I would have waited for those! I got the dunlop kt151 for mine but now I know there is more options other then the dunlop and the goodyear for a 22 tire for the 11inch rim.

oh yea those tires are fast trekkers, the best trike tire on the plannet!! kinda getting hard to find but they are out there, most are 18's I got lucky and snapped up a set of 20's! saaweeet!

ChopDunkSplit
08-30-2010, 06:02 PM
I think them are fast trekker's.. If i can remember correctly; My ole blaster had em ;)

You are right my friend, I love this tread pattern, Thanks a ton

350Xccelerator
08-31-2010, 01:54 AM
What front tire is that on the 250r in your first post?

ChopDunkSplit
08-31-2010, 04:53 AM
Thats the stock tire, about the only place you will find one is eBay or from another member here at 3WW.

three_wheelin45
08-31-2010, 05:26 PM
You are right my friend, I love this tread pattern, Thanks a ton

No Prob. glad i could help ;) lol im surprized i even rememberd :lol: