PDA

View Full Version : 86 tecate thumb throttle options - what works?

sportvette
08-27-2010, 12:55 PM
i would like to get some thumb throttles for the 86 tecate and would like to know what are the options. does any thumb throttle work? i know i read that someone used a yfz450 thumb throttle. anyone using anything else? do i then need to buy the throttle cable for the thumb throttle i purchase or is the tecate cable the correct one to use? was wondering if i could pick up some kawasaki model thumb throttles such as Bayou...

same person with the yfz450 thumb throttle had a yfz450 front master...which makes sense perfect fitment at the handlebar...or is that not an issue to consider. such that all thumb throttles will basically be ok against any front lever assembly?

nd4speed
08-27-2010, 01:41 PM
I think thumb throttles are pretty generic and that's why not many aftermarket ones are made.

But, I had some kinda Yamaha one on mine and I think it was for an old 4 stroke like a Moto 4 or something cause it was jerry rigged were the cable entered the throttle housing due to the opening being bigger than the cable and screw thread. I had to go back to a twist since I sold my LT250R one which would have worked.

Maico
08-28-2010, 12:58 AM
I've got a couple of thumb throttles if you're interested. I "think" they're from a Kawasaki of some sort.

cr480r
08-28-2010, 03:14 AM
i used one from a 250r on mine... I like it much better than the terry cable style thumber I bought from moose... i just used the cable that came with it, but I was also running a keihin carb