PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust heat shield removal?

swampthang
08-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Ok Im wanting to paint the exhaust on my 200x. I picked up some Rustoleum bbq 1200 degree flat black spray bomb today. I want it to look the best and would like to remove my heat shield on my header pipe to paint under it. Ive never had any luck getting the phillip head bolts out. They always twist off. Does anyone have any tricks to get these out? Should i just soak the crap out of them in wd-40 and start praying? Any help is appreciated.

TheRealFatShady
08-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Usually on stuck phillips bolts, I use penetrating fluid every couple of hours. Then I use bits (like from a drill) and make sure I use the right one, usually it's one size up from the standard 'size 2' screwdrivers, (however an exhaust shield might be smaller). Put it in, then hammer the back of the bit driver. Don't turn, just whack it. Then hit with penetrating fluid again, I usually use PB Blaster, others swear by Liquid Wrench.

After awhile with the fluid, I hammer the bit in place again, then try to turn. Sometimes it breaks free, other times it just rounds the phillips head section. In that instance, use a dremel and cut either an X or / pattern and use a bigger screwdriver, or use an EZ-out type tool/extractor. Or sometimes (just worked for my intake boots bolts on my street bike) you can hammer part of them off (making the bolt head not round) then get at them with vice grips.

swampthang
08-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks 4 the info Shady im gonna give it a go tommorow

Xpress
08-25-2010, 11:01 PM
You need to get an impact hammer to remove stubborn phillips heads ;)

TheRealFatShady
08-25-2010, 11:03 PM
You need to get an impact hammer to remove stubborn phillips heads ;)

That works too. Also maybe heat.

swampthang
08-25-2010, 11:09 PM
so maybe after pb blaster and hammering on it for a while start it up and let it get hot they try to lossen them? I figured after a million heat cycles the bolt are pretty week and will twist off?

Thorpe
08-26-2010, 12:39 AM
Just popped them off my 25 y/o BR with no oil, and a vise grips... Pretty sure I was the luckiest sob that day!

Captainwtf
08-26-2010, 05:07 PM
I also had major luck today with my BR. After stripping the phillips screws to beyond recognition, i grabbed them with a massive vice grip and they finally popped free and came right off.

whyzee
08-26-2010, 06:27 PM
definitly the vise grip route!