PDA

View Full Version : Winter Riding

Silverado
08-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Hey guys,

Could someone shed some light on my dilemma?

I am going to be riding the trike (250sx) in the winter this year on an open lake once it is frozen. I am assuming I will need chains for my tires (22x11-8 i believe is standard).

#1Will I need them ?
#2 where is the best place to get them ?
#3 is there a certain type I need more than another ?

if it helps it will probably be me and my girlfriend on the bike together the majority of the time going to the ice fishing hut.

fabiodriven
08-25-2010, 01:15 PM
I've never run chains so I really can't comment on that part of your question. I can tell you that you will want something on those tires, whether it be chains or studs. I went out on a lake a few years ago with just the regular tires and it was awful. I almost went in the drink when I was headed towards open water and I couldn't steer or stop. It takes forever to get up to speed too. Kinda dangerous.

harryredtrike
08-25-2010, 02:42 PM
just ice only?if yes,use studs not chains.for on and off ice i just use my wheels with no chains.bumpy ride if you use them

x200x
08-25-2010, 02:50 PM
yeah you should get some tires with studs, you can probably find a pair on ebay. if you use chains, you cant go more than about 15-20mph because they will fly everywhere and maybe fall off/ damage your plastics. if you are plannin on just puttin on the ice, and dont want to spend the money on studded tires, then just get some lawn mower chains that fit. so for speed/ a tlo of riding go with studs, slow, once in a while, low budget, chains.

JayBone
08-25-2010, 03:47 PM
If it's ice and light snow you are fine. I use to ride my lake without studs or chains on my 200x. Deep snow is an issue

Silverado
08-25-2010, 03:49 PM
I just phoned the place that I got my front tire from and they rebored my cylinder and gave me a new piston and rings and such. I figure I should buy new tires (which I will then use as summer tires) and take the tires which are on there now...stud them, and use them as winter riding.
I am getting the impression studs are better than chains

Thorpe
08-25-2010, 08:25 PM
I rock my BR all winter long without anything metal for a traction aid... Can pull around 200 lbs of ice fishing gear (not loaded down in the pic), through 12" snow and ice without an issue...I plow snow and everything, just have good tires, nothing super fancy, ITP mudlites...

ChrisD
08-25-2010, 08:50 PM
don't waste your money on chains. They are deadly. As x200x said, you can not go fast at all. The chains will follow gravity and fling out from the tire even with a bungee. I tried them.

If you are casual riding, you will not need studs or chains, but it will not handle, will take time to get up to speed and not stop on bare ice. Up to 3 inches of snow is fine, but anything more and it gets annoying to ride and you will beat on the motor. If you are not looking for super traction, get 1/2 inch sheet metal screws. They are cheap and short enough not to pucnture you tire if you have good tread. You can take them back out at the end of the winter. If you have extra coin, you should invest in a set of dedicated studded tires for the ice. It makes the ice really fun.

whyzee
08-25-2010, 08:59 PM
don't waste your money on chains. They are deadly. As x200x said, you can not go fast at all. The chains will follow gravity and fling out from the tire even with a bungee. I tried them.

If you are casual riding, you will not need studs or chains, but it will not handle, will take time to get up to speed and not stop on bare ice. Up to 3 inches of snow is fine, but anything more and it gets annoying to ride and you will beat on the motor. If you are not looking for super traction, get 1/2 inch sheet metal screws. They are cheap and short enough not to pucnture you tire if you have good tread. You can take them back out at the end of the winter. If you have extra coin, you should invest in a set of dedicated studded tires for the ice. It makes the ice really fun.

^ perfectly said

mike1979
08-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Damnit Thorpe, do post those pics again! You are going to make me search for a big red as nice as yours and spend money I don't have! Damn I love that trike.

Thorpe
08-26-2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks Mike! Everything is for sale... Michigan isnt that far away from MN.... I do feel the need to bring another trike back from the dead.... Right now its under construction again getting a beefed up front rack for the winch, and plow season... (of course I kept the prisitne rack on the shelf!!!)