PDA

View Full Version : Bringing a old trike back to life yamaha 225dx

Drifterdude
08-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Ok been a long time since ive posted on here. Last time was for the same trike and fixing a simple problem to get it running after I bought it.

Now its been sitting for 2 years due to a broken exaust manifold and I have money again after settling a few things and I want to bring it back to life.

I know I need a new manifold and I have located one cheap. I also know ill need to probably rebuild the carberatur after sitting so long along with the tank and replace the air filter.

My question is what is the best way to remove the flange bolts from the exaust where they are froze to the head? The head rounded out inside on first try to remove them. That was 2 years ago when it first went down. Now I have a torch setup full new tool set and stuff to help a bit.

Would soaking the bolts for a while with PB blaster and heat over and over for a day or 2 help? I know it does on vehicles and I figure it would here also just want to be sure. Also where can I locate a good cheap carb rebuild kit with needed gaskets?

I also plan since its been sitting to remove the spark plug and use a little mystery oil in the cylinder to lubricate top end on first refire.

Does this sound good? Any tips or Ideas.

This is the trike. No that is not me on it either its my younger brother.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/drifterdude/DSCF1398.jpg

harryredtrike
08-24-2010, 02:04 AM
yea ,your on the right track with heat and penetrating oil.they can be very hard to get out,so go slow and steady with all of your attempts.worst case senario would take a vise grip and remove the whole stud if you can.sometimes they have to be drilled out after breaking them off,be careful.

Drifterdude
08-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Ok thank you. The inner allen head of the bolts are rounded so vice grips will be required. I figure after heating and penetrating oil for a day or 2 a good set of craftsman robo grips should get them out. They will be replaced by new ones.

Once running I need to rebuild the drivers side fork as its bent and the seal leaks. Then go about replacing plastics.