PDA

View Full Version : 83 250r shifter issues

Dman450R
08-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Guys, I was riding my R the other day and it felt like the clutch was starting to go. Then over the course of an hour or so, it got harder to shift. I can upshift no problem, but downshifting requires several stabs at the shifter. I have always been able to shift up and down through the gears no problem when the trikes either running or sitting with the motor off. Now it's Very hard to downshift in either situation.

I replaced the clutch cable then mic'd the friction discs in the clutch. They were just at tolerance so I replaced them with some others I had that were well above tolerance. I also mic'd the springs and they were below tolerance so I replaced them as well. Checked the basket for grooves and it seems good. After adjusting the clutch, I still have the same issue. When running, it upshifts fine, but I can't get it to downshift without issue.

When it started to shift badly, it did not happen all of a sudden (like a broke shift fork) it got progressively worse over the course of an hour or so. This makes me think it's a linkage issue but I'm open to suggestions. I keep fresh oil in it (Honda GN4 10-40).

Any ideas? This is driving me crazy.

Thanks,

D