PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 225DX, oil

stumper
08-17-2010, 03:58 PM
what oil should I run in this machine?

An oil with a friction modifier, because of the auto/centrifugal clutch?

1983 vintage year, runs great except what appears to be a "slipping clutch" under accel in the first 3 gears. when accel from a stop, the engine revs, speed builds slowly, like going up a hill. After motion is acheived, this trike accel like normal. I installed new clutch plates thinking this was the problem, adjusted the screw for smooth shifting, but stills accel the same. Centrifugal clutch looked normal. [seen others in pics] Had another person with thier 3 wheelers, say, run a friction modifier, as they had the same concern.

I do not have an owners manual and have owned this machine for 6 months from the original owner.
thoughts?

yamaha driver
01-11-2011, 09:33 PM
I run any non synthetic oil in my 225dx. synthetic makes the clutch slip realy bad also. the weight of oil i use is 10w 40 in summer and this is light i know 5w 30 in winter cause it is usualy below 0F.

86'250sx
01-11-2011, 10:06 PM
What oil do you have in it now? I also run 10w 40 atv specific.

takeuchitb007
01-12-2011, 08:30 AM
try and find Valvoline ATV oil, works great in my Tri-Moto.. If you can't find it then just get any type of 4 stroke motorcycle oil.. Castrol makes 4stroke oil for bikes called Grand Prix... Since you're in Canada goto Canadian Tire and get some of their Premium 4 Stroke motorcycle oil.. it's in a grey colored bottle.. It comes in 20w50 or 10w40.. i use it all the time with my valvoline.. works great too..

edog
01-12-2011, 10:49 AM
You should have asked what he was running for oil when you bought it.....Going to a synthetic can cause leaks if you were using detergent motor oil.....A cheap 5W 30 from Walmart works fine.

Loosen the nut on the side case..then turn the center bolt clockwise all the way for full clutch engagement....counter clockwise to let it loosen up a little bit. Then lock the nut.