PDA

View Full Version : 1987 ATC200X HELP PLEASE!! some engine questions

jt77
08-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Hey yall I'm new here, so first off...Hi to everyone!....second, I have a 1987 honda atc200x thats my neighbors he just brought it over so i could replace 2nd gear and the mating gear on the countershaft after it broke from him pop starting it after he broke the kicker shaft off....Long story short...Got the tranny fixed all new gaskets everywhere and what not....now I don't know how this kicker goes back in....It goes right in and lines up with the gear on the back of the clutch basket, but theres like no idler setup so that way it will spin free. Can somone get some pictures and help me figure out how it goes? Like I have it in there so it kicks the engine over but im not sure how to get it so it wont constantly click or have tension on it when the engine starts....thank you!!!! REMINDER: this is a 1987 200x with the "newer" style engine, not the 83-85 atc200x with the xr200 type engine....

obijuan
08-16-2010, 10:27 PM
i just took this tonight, 87 200x. the cover is still off so i can snap some pics if you need to, but i aint moving crap around if i dont have to!
oooookkkkk thats a really crappy picture.....
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/gottasmallface/honduh/DSC00399.jpg

Dirtcrasher
08-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Find my "20 day build" and it shows how it's done.

It's all in the manual. You have to angle it, rotate it past the keeper and then it pops in and behind the keeper. All dots must line up and be at 12:00.

87 shafts don't break, he must have an 86 shaft and clutch cover........... Couple pics of some parts and I could tell you the year clutch cover/kicker shaft.

There are free on line manuals everywhere, get one!! The pics are in the manual, hopefully someone will give you a link if you can't find it...........

MonroeMike
08-16-2010, 10:49 PM
http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/Manuals/ATC%20manuals/86-87atc200xservicemanual.pdf

jt77
08-16-2010, 11:36 PM
thank you all! I found out by myself while i was waiting to re check this thread. And the pic was fine, you can actually see where that little hub thing rests on the keeper through the hole in the gear lol...thats the part i wasnt getting where you actually had to wind it up and push it back.... The gear on this one has a bunch of round holes, not long openings like your gear, but same setup!! Its really cool to see 3 people responded within like an hour on a 3 wheeler forum!

Dirtcrasher
08-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Round holes mean 86, oblong means 87...... The 86 is about 17MM and always snaps. But, you need the whole setup, kicker and cover to swap it back or update it to a 87.

Make sure the dot on the decompression relief is lined up too.

Hopefully, you lined the rest up or it won't return fully or grab at the top of the stroke. Thats why I tell you guys tom read about it before doing it or you may be doing it twice.