PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with intake/carb mounting on Lifan 140 in ATC70

Henry89
08-16-2010, 02:48 AM
I'm rebuilding a 1984 ATC with Lifan 140cc motor. Issue I'm having now is getting the carb/instake to bolt up correctly so that the top of the carb will clear the gas tank and carb won't hit the cyclinder head on the motor. Does someone make a intake that bolts up to the Lifan 140 that will allow the carb to clear the ATC70 gas tank and motor? I know that there has been a lot of people installing a Lifan 140 in their ATC70 so I would greatly appreciate it if you could share with me how you made it work. Thanks!

0GravityMX
08-16-2010, 04:16 AM
i think you can mount the carb facing forward if i remember correctly.

KASEY
08-16-2010, 08:06 PM
the manifold i got with my engine worked perfect,, it clears everything ,,,,

http://i34.tinypic.com/2nw3gba.jpg

Race Demon
08-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Slot the holes where the intake bolts to the head so the carb can be twisted to almost touch the frame, the put about a 3\8 inch spacer between the tank and frame on the back bolt, if it still hits I just use a ball peen hammer to dent the inside of the tank. some hit alot worse than others, the one from DR atv works real well but you may need to port it to match your carb, thats how most of the mad 70s are done :D

Henry89
08-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Race Demon......I was hopeing that you would reply. I had the intake slotted at the local machine shop but I think I had it slotted the wrong direction. Is this (http://dratv.com/22makitt.html) the intake from DrATV your talking about? If not could you please post a link?

Kasey...is that the Lifan 140cc motor with the 22mm Mikuni carb? If so I'm going to have to check the clearance again after my tank gets back from being stripped and lined. Thanks!!

Race Demon
08-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Heres the part # from Dr atv for the intake, tbq22kit 29.95 , an example of the carb I use is on ebay and the # is 360289547633 , I don't pay any attention to the size cause different places measure it different, take a good look at the choke and you will get the right one, our group has bought a bunch of them and that is what we use, good luck on your build and hope to met you in person sometime :) see you at the track :crazy: :D

CRAZY70MAN
08-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Heres the part # from Dr atv for the intake, tbq22kit 29.95 , an example of the carb I use is on ebay and the # is 360289547633 , I don't pay any attention to the size cause different places measure it different, take a good look at the choke and you will get the right one, our group has bought a bunch of them and that is what we use, good luck on your build and hope to met you in person sometime :) see you at the track :crazy: :D I used the old' rubber mallet technique to get my carb to clear as Demon said......it was pretty easy and is hidden......used intake that came with my 150cc nitro YX motor as well.

Henry89
08-18-2010, 08:30 PM
Here is some pic's of my carb. Is it going to clear the tank?

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f381/RC_Feen/70carb003.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f381/RC_Feen/70carb002.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f381/RC_Feen/70carb003.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f381/RC_Feen/70carb004.jpg

Race Demon
08-18-2010, 09:22 PM
I would bet you will still need to dent the inside of the tank and use a spacer , by the way I don't see any mounts for an oil cooler , ring life is short without one, just a heads up;)

Henry89
08-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Do I really need a oil cooler? Down here in Virginia there really isn't anyone building 70's like this and flat-tracking like you guys up in Ohio. I mainly wanted to build this because after a trip back to Zanesville to visit family my cousin had a 70 built with a 125cc Pitster-Pro. One ride and I was hooked. I currently just plan on ripping around the yard for a little fun now and then with the 70. If I notch out the current intake so that the carb will rotate towards the frame will I still need to use the spacers on the tank and modify the inside of the tank for clearance? I know it's hard to tell without having the tank but just wondering. I can't remember but is it the throttle cable that hits the inside of the tank that needs more clearance? Thanks again!

KASEY
08-18-2010, 11:09 PM
slot the manifold till the throttle cable is right next to the frame,,, thats all your going to get... then set the tank on and see where you are.. that choke setup is in the way too,,, mine is different..

86trizinger
08-19-2010, 05:04 PM
I have a Piranha 140 in my atc90..

Just so you know ahead of time.. go ahead and order the Race CDI for it as well and a 16 or 17 tooth sprocket. Without those it just hits the rev limiter too low and with the small tire it makes it even worse. The 22mm stock carb is a little too small for it from what I was old. I did all 3 things 26mm carb, 16 tooth sprocket and Race CDI and it made a huge difference in the top end.. Your engine already has fittings for the oil cooler on it. From Wholesale cycle you can get an oil cooler kit for under $40. I live in Maryland and my engine seems to run a little warmer then I like.

Race Demon
08-19-2010, 11:21 PM
First, the top of the carb will hit your tank not the cable, the oil cooler is extra cooling, if your going to trash it, its going to get hot fast, if its mainly a cruiser then you may get away with it, we twist the crap out of ours all the time so the oil cooler is a must, as far as the other parts [carb and ignition] run what you got, the bigger carb just makes it more of a pain to get under the 70 tank and the Pirahna motor comes with the no rev limit box, thats why I like it so well, runs real well right out the box, you will still have some work to do, thats why when you posted before I said to get it running, then tear it back down and make it pretty, make it run then make it pretty, saves money on paint,not to mention all the early crashes :crazy: Good Luck :D

Henry89
08-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks Race Demon....Where do I mount the oil cooler and where do I get a jet kit for the Mikuni 22mm carb? Thanks again!

86trizinger
08-20-2010, 09:31 AM
My piranha CDI box definitely had a rev limiter in it. Would only let you rev about half way. I bought the race CDI for $11 and it was a world of difference.

Race Demon
08-20-2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks Race Demon....Where do I mount the oil cooler and where do I get a jet kit for the Mikuni 22mm carb? Thanks again! you can get the jets from Piranha, if your using the Cobra pipe I would start with a 107.5 main , stock is a 95 or 100 main jetting seems to differ a bit from one to the other even though we get the parts from the same place, we mount the oil coolers on the front forks or under the tank on a T shaped mount we weld to the frame, its just a preference thing

Henry89
08-21-2010, 01:26 AM
I have a new Cobra pipe that I will be running. Did you get the jets from Whole Sale Cycle? That is where I got my 140cc Piranha motor from. Can you post a picture of the oil cooler mounted? Thanks again!

Race Demon
08-21-2010, 07:25 AM
you can see all kinds of pics and videos of them on this forum under Mad 70s in action :D, the local bike shop has most of the jets I need, but I do get some from Piranha [whole sale cycle] also.