PDA

View Full Version : 200x seized up!!!

x200x
08-15-2010, 12:40 PM
so the other day (friday the 13th :() i decided to ride my 200x... i checked the oil, it was fine... rode it on and off through out the day, and had not a single prob. i went in for lunch, went back out, started it up and went around my yard, again it ran fine... while coming back out front, the engine suddenly siezed up!!! i immediately checked the oil and again it was fine. i pushed it over to my garage and dumped some WD down the bore, and got it freed. i changed the oil (wich i just did a few weeks ago) and it started right up 1st kick. but it is smoking very badly now. it needs a clutch anyway, so yesterday i put it up on bolcks, drained the oil, and found that most of the bolts for the side covers are very tight (and of course my only 8mm socket is almost stripped) well, i got some bolts out, then took the left cover over the flywheel off, to find that there is play in the rod bearing!!!! i got all pissed off, put the cover back on, and went inside to sleep it off. so now i know i at least need a clutch rebuild and a new rod and bearings... my dad looked at it and said i should just pull the engine and do a full rebuild. but i dont have much spare money.... any ideas on what i should do? i was planning on replacing the following:

clutch disks, plates and springs--because its needed a clutch for about a month
connecting rod, and bearings--because theres play
piston and rings--because it smokes, and it has the origonal piston and rings
valves and seals--same reason (freshen up)

obijuan
08-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Take a break to get enough money to fix it right

swampthang
08-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Man that sux i feel for you. If your main bearings are shot then you need to fix that cause putting money into the top end would be a waste if it ate your rings again in a couple hours. Ive never done a bottom end rebuild so i cant give you an idea on how much that cost but if your going to have your bike down for repairs id just do it all at once and your good to go.

x200x
08-15-2010, 01:11 PM
yeah i think im gonna do a full rebuild the main bearings look fine, its the rod bearing from the crank to the conecting rod thats loose

does this look like a good deal?? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/83-85-Honda-Atc-200X-Engine-Motor-Top-End-Rebuild-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43977QQitemZ3502357 33791

i mean just a piston and rings is about 100 but they freshen up your cylledner and give you the gaskets and seals

1 more question does an over bore like .20 or .30 give you any more power?

swampthang
08-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Id say thats prolly a good deal. I rebuilt my top end on my 200 and had about that in it and i used my cylinder just bored it. As for getting more power from a overbore you wont notice any difference in power.

x200x
08-15-2010, 02:04 PM
thanks for the input im going out to pull the engine now

hang&rattle
08-15-2010, 02:41 PM
That rebuild kit is a good buy. I have had 3 200x motors in my 85', and finally gave up and traded it for 200s motor and did a auto-x, my buddy just traded me for my old 200x motor with out a clutch (again) and left his seized up motor. This is my experience and opinion, but the 200x motor is junk. Bad clutches, transmissions, kickers, and alot of them seize up as yours did (and mine and emt59602's). A 200 or 185 motor is cheaper, more durable and easier to troubleshoot and work on. It's possible to pick up the full trike with a running motor or trade for the 185 and 200. As in my case, a motor or 200/185 trike is cheaper than a rebuild (especially if soup'd up). The auto S 200 motor is just slightly slower than the X, me and my son tried it last night. And way better on slow trails. Just a suggestion, but have 2 spare motors in my garage that don't run, and one my buddy is putting a clutch in, so I have had no luck, jus' me though. Oh, I seen a 185 motor with a rebuilt top end in the classifieds (in Texas) for $100, with shipping that's a killer fix.

Grizzlypeg
08-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Should he consider a higher compression piston if he wants more power? I'm running a Wiseco 10.25 to 1 piston in mine. Not sure if its mandatory, but i use only premium gas. I also have a performance exhaust, and I recently road tested my trike to go 97km/hr using a gps as a speedometer. Gearing is 14 front 40 rear.

WilliamJ
08-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Is it a common thing the 200x engine seizing up? Presumably it is the piston seizing in the bore? If so wouldn't a slightly bigger clearance help - another thou maybe, especially if you are going to increase the compression ratio - more power = more heat!