PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank rust

85_BIG_RED_250
08-14-2010, 10:22 PM
My trike tank has seen better years. the bottom has the usual rust and gas is leaking really bad. i cleaned the paint off, dried it and applied jb weld.....didn't work, too much fuel ate through and peeled it off like rubber....i heard about brazing it.. im a welder so i was thinking about putting my mig on low voltage after washing the tank out with water and welding it...besides buying the aftermarket plastic tank is there anything else that i can do???

harryredtrike
08-14-2010, 10:31 PM
you can try to braze it,be sure no fumes are in the tank and the lid is open.i have welded tanks and they held nicely.buy time for you to find another one

Thorpe
08-14-2010, 11:12 PM
On my 85 ES I had the rust holes.... Washed the tank out well, let compressed air circulate though it for a few hours, opened the holes up big enough to find solid metal, stitched them in with the mig, and then did a POR-15 motorcycle tank sealer for extra protection from pinholes... Worked out great... Have done a few that way now with good sucess.

85_BIG_RED_250
10-03-2010, 09:14 PM
hey, i bought some j-b weld putty in a cylinder, kneeded it together, applied it and it worked great!!

Thorpe
10-03-2010, 10:21 PM
That will be a temporary fix at best...