PDA

View Full Version : 85 250sx brakes dont work?

parker88
08-14-2010, 02:16 AM
I asked alot of questions in my original ebay/craigslist post when I first got the trike and I didnt get to many answers...lol
Seems like there is always a few people in this thread so i figured I should just ask here.
Ive got a 85 honda 250sx and the brakes dont work very much at all. The front works a little but the back is not working at all. The rear brake lever on the handlebars will pull all the way to the bars without ever engaging the brake and the rear brake foot lever will go all the way down without engaging it. What should I do first? lol

ATC Dude
08-14-2010, 02:34 AM
Download a service manual here and read up on adjusting brakes:
http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/Manuals/ATC%20manuals/

parker88
08-14-2010, 03:28 AM
Download a service manual here and read up on adjusting brakes:
http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/Manuals/ATC%20manuals/

Thanx for the link
I tried what the manual said and it didnt seen to help any. Could it be stretched brake cables?

ATC Dude
08-14-2010, 04:25 AM
Next you need to see if the brake shoe and/or drum are worn down. Check to see if everything is connected and assembled properly. I am not familiar with the 250sx brakes so maybe someone else can give you more information.

ailll1
08-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Adjusting screw is the first thing to mess with before tearing the brakes apart.
Screw it in and check if theres any resistance on the lever.
If you cant engage the brake lever anymore screw it out.

the great gazoo
08-14-2010, 10:38 AM
I'd put money on shoes. I've had the same problem w/ my rears. Pull the R. wheel & drum off & have a look.

Dirtcrasher
08-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Honda shoes that get soaked i.e. - 85 250SX, fall apart, lots of times people think the axle is locked and it's just the shoes/drum. It is VERY poorly sealed compared with 86/87 250SX.

Even with 2 brand new cables, I find getting the correct brake feel near impossible, or I just suk......

I run the rear only and just modify that left lever because you need the reverse crap.

parker88
08-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Honda shoes that get soaked i.e. - 85 250SX, fall apart, lots of times people think the axle is locked and it's just the shoes/drum. It is VERY poorly sealed compared with 86/87 250SX.

Even with 2 brand new cables, I find getting the correct brake feel near impossible, or I just suk......

I run the rear only and just modify that left lever because you need the reverse crap.

So should I just get new shoes? Are they hard to change out? Ive changed brake pads on disk brakes but ive never fooled with drums. Also Dirtcrasher what do you mean by "just modify the left lever"

whyzee
08-14-2010, 02:54 PM
So should I just get new shoes? Are they hard to change out? Ive changed brake pads on disk brakes but ive never fooled with drums. Also Dirtcrasher what do you mean by "just modify the left lever"
Ok, look at the hub and brake arm . There is a triangle " arrow" located on the brake arm . If it lines up with the index mark on the the hub you need new shoes. The manual gives you good pictures to look at.
The arrow and index mark should be about 1/2" from lining up. If they are your shoes are good. Adjust the slack in the cables as described earlier.

brapp
08-14-2010, 04:11 PM
buy front and rear brake cables and shoes and make shure the cam that the shoes rides on is smothe and doesnt stick and i gaurentee its pretty simple dont it a million times i have tons of spares laygn aorudn i have 2 runnign sx's and ride them hard lol