PDA

View Full Version : fender paint

Aaron2003
09-13-2003, 05:07 PM
does anyone make a clear coat paint that i can use on plastic ???

ATCMedic
09-14-2003, 01:10 AM
I know Krylon just released a new line of paints designed for plastic, I haven't had a chance to try them or what colors are available yet. Are you just trying to bring back faded fenders or change the color? There are a few tricks that you can use to bring the color/shine back to faded plastic without using paint.

Aaron2003
09-15-2003, 01:35 AM
well i'm looking for clear coat so i can do the whole fender but mainly to do over the new sticker set i have just to help protect it alittle

but i would like to know how to bring back a faded fender please..

Thanks Aaron

ATCMedic
09-15-2003, 01:55 PM
To bring back faded fenders I have seen two methods that work pretty good. There may be others that work too, I'm always looking for new techniques myself. I would suggest practicing on a piece of junk fender first.The first method is to use a propane torch (small plumbers torch from the hardware store). All ATV fenders are made out of thermoplastic, which means they need to be heated to be formed into whatever part they are destined to be. You can take advantage of this by heating them up and "reforming" them. First you remove any oxidation with #600 or #1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper with plenty of water. Next you heat up the plastic with the torch, BEING CAREFUL TO STAY FAR ENOUGH AWAY TO NOT LIGHT IT ON FIRE. You just want to heat up the plastic to make it soften, you'll see it start to shine. If it starts to turn black simply wipe the fender with a clean rag. After you get the fender to where you are happy with it, switch to plastic polish to finish it off. I have seen truly amazing results from this. The second method is to use an automotive buffing wheel with rubbing compound first then wax. This also works well, but you have to be careful not to let the wheel sit in one place too long or it will melt the plastic and ruin the fender (or whatever part you are trying to shine) I don't know of a reliable clearcoat paint for plastic, all the ones I have ever tried seemed to peel off in no time no matter how I prepped the surface.

mkramm
09-15-2003, 02:13 PM
Hmm...i didnt think about a propane torch, I think I might try my little infrared propane heater, that might work just as well and no open flames.
8)

Darius1502
09-15-2003, 02:21 PM
This is great stuff guys!!!

Thanks for the information. ATC Medic...do you have any pictures of your work??

ejc042
09-15-2003, 02:26 PM
I got my fenders shiny again with a razor blade, plastic polish and armor all.

Aaron2003
09-15-2003, 03:31 PM
cool thanks alot guys i'll have to give that a try and try not to burn the garage down

Aaron

ATCMedic
09-16-2003, 10:03 AM
This is great stuff guys!!!

Thanks for the information. ATC Medic...do you have any pictures of your work?

I don't have any pics yet, I do have an '85 ATC 250R "in the hospital" right now. I am thinking about maybe posting the restoratrion here on the board when it's done, I was going to replace the cracked front fender, but I might document a repair on it just to show you how it's done. I think it will be a few weeks before I finish it up, and I don't know how long it will take me to figure out how to post the restoration and pics.

Aaron2003
09-18-2003, 02:55 AM
that would be great to see, thanks alot for all the info i think i'm going to try that on my Yamaha 225-dx..

Thanks again
Aaron