PDA

View Full Version : 250R Carb?

scottytohotty48
08-10-2010, 01:48 AM
I have an 84 250R and Im lookingto upgradeit. It is completly mint but the main thing I want to do is change the carb on it to an 85 or 86 flatside carb. Or is there another one that will work off of a newer model maybe? There on ebay but there usually around 60 bucks plus shipping :(

Pintowagon77
08-10-2010, 02:26 AM
here is the deal with the carbs.- this is a way too often f.a.q. The 85 250r had a pe34- round slide- and the 86 and up had pj34- D slide. round slide for trail riding flat slide for the dunes, in my opinion. What limits your options is the intake boot which is only made in one size. There are some custom made intake boots but for buying one new there is nothing bigger than stock, unless you go with a v-force set up with a rubber hose type boot. I think the v-force is excessive for reg bore. Anything over 34mm you will have a hard time with your boot, can be done but to much for a stock motor.
Throw a pipe, boyesen reeds, port/ polish, a big bore then maybe you may need a v force and a 38pwk. The pwk carbs are hreat top end carbs but suffer on the bottom end, go with a 34pj. I dont run a air box but i know there is a trick fitting the pj or pe carb. I think the pj, being a D slide, is narrower and dosn't quite bridge the gap between the boot and airbox, i know there is a trick- what is it?

250rJAMIE
08-10-2010, 05:07 AM
A 85 or 86R carb will work but you'l have to stretch the carb boot for it to fit same with the airbox side boot.Or if you want you can use a fl350 odyssey carb boot which is bigger but you will have to run a reed spacer with that to avoid hitting the engine cases.Dont go bigger then a 34mm on a stockish aircooler R its too much carb for it I had a mikuni 38mm on my piped 83R and it did not ever want to run right,You will need a longer throttle cable aswel.