PDA

View Full Version : KLT200 starter

ledzeppelin166
08-09-2010, 06:04 PM
i just got a 83 klt200 last week. When i got it, it was all in pieces and I'm trying to put it back together. I'm working on the wiring now and i cant figure out where the positive wire goes on the starter. Theres one terminal on it that i can see and I hooked up a battery to it to see if it would turn over and it just sparked. It seems like that would be the ground or is my starter just bad and have a short?

ledzeppelin166
08-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Also, does anyone have or know of a wiring diagram for an 1983 klt200?

zagames
08-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Hey bud, I'll look at my starter tomorrow if I have time. I'll also send you a scan from one of my service manuals for the diagram. If you don't hear anything from me by the weekend, send me a PM as a reminder, and I'll get back to you. I may also be interested in buying it from you if you lose interest... ;)

Fungo Wizard
08-12-2010, 12:18 AM
You and those klt's!!!!!!!!!!! Don't sell it to him, maybe he will get a honda!!!!!!!!! LOL

ledzeppelin166
08-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Hey bud, I'll look at my starter tomorrow if I have time. I'll also send you a scan from one of my service manuals for the diagram. If you don't hear anything from me by the weekend, send me a PM as a reminder, and I'll get back to you. I may also be interested in buying it from you if you lose interest... ;)

Thanks alot. I also have a klt 110 that i might be parting out soon. Its got everything including a bad engine.

WilliamJ
08-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Is the starter free to turn? If you touch the live wire to the live teminal it should definitely spark - but it should also try to turn over. It is drawing a big amperage so you can expect a few sparks. You probably need to take it out and put it in the bench vise to test it. Then you can see if it turns easily. I don't think I have even found a starter with a dead short through its windings. They usually go the other way and won't pass enough current having a bad sector on the commutator or occasionally, knackered brushes.

The ground on a starter is always through the body, in my experience.

If there is a solenoid built into the starter body there will be a small terminal that needs current. The main power wire will go to a bigger terminal.

squirrel1182
08-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Ill get you a diagram i just got to figure out our stupid scanner. Is it a klt 200c?

That post your talking about is the positive. There is no actual ground wire. It gounds through the casing touching the motor.

squirrel1182
08-13-2010, 12:20 AM
nevermind our scanner dont work

MonroeMike
08-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Welcome to 3ww.

zagames
08-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Well, here are the wiring diagrams for all 1983 models. Pick whichever suits you, hehe. Like they said, there is a post on the starter for your positive lead from the solenoid. The ground is through the engine/frame. Click on the attachment images a few times until you get the largest zoom, then feel free to print them out.

ledzeppelin166
08-17-2010, 08:50 AM
good news. I got the starter working. Thank you for the wiring diagrams. I think mine is an ktl200a. The next thing that needs work would be the clutch lever. It did not come with a cable and i took off the cover it get the starter back on and i was messing with the lever and didnt realize that I messed up the adjustment for the pushrod.