PDA

View Full Version : Re-Doing Brakes on 83 and 84 Big Reds

Rockman
08-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Alright,

The front and back brakes on both Big Reds we have need to be re-done and I have no clue what to replace or keep, parts wise. I searched EBay and a few other parts store and there seem to be a wide variety of parts out there to entirely re-do the brakes on both ATCs.

Both the 83 and 84 have the same symptoms...so I will just summarize for both:

Front brake-When I squeeze the brake lever, I can barely feel the brakes grabbing. Brake lever does not fully release back to starting position. Seems like the brake line is stretched out...if that makes sense. Could there be a spring missing somewhere???

Back brake handle can be squeezed but brakes do not work. Brake handle does release but not too well and does not return back to the starting position. Seems like the brake line is stretched out...if that makes sense. Could there be a spring missing somewhere???

Back brake foot brake. Same thing...when pressed, nothing really happens at all.

I am mechanical and can do the brakes myself, but have not done much with these ATCs yet. I don't want to just buy all new parts unless I have to. Do I start with new brake levers, shoes, cables?

Where do I start? :wondering HELP!