PDA

View Full Version : Just bought Honda atc110 and need help please

Brankin
08-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Hi I have just bought a Honda atc 110 1985 . It's needs some work and would like some advice please. It's needs a new pull cord but that doesn't look too bad to do but any tips would be helpful like size of cord and installation . The main thing though is the man I bought it off says it won't change gear when in low range but works fine in high range . And I don't know how to sort it . Also do I put 4 stroke oil in the engine? Any advice would be grateful and helpful . Daniel

harryredtrike
08-08-2010, 10:05 PM
pull cord is easy to do,its a four stroke so oil in the case and gas in the tank.download a free manual in (world class help)use it for all your questions.when you do the pull cord wind on more than you'll use or youll break it over and over

Brankin
08-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Thankyou for your help and advice

EarlyBronocGuy
08-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Hi I have just bought a Honda atc 110 1985 . It's needs some work and would like some advice please. It's needs a new pull cord but that doesn't look too bad to do but any tips would be helpful like size of cord and installation . The main thing though is the man I bought it off says it won't change gear when in low range but works fine in high range . And I don't know how to sort it . Also do I put 4 stroke oil in the engine? Any advice would be grateful and helpful . Daniel

You can get a new cord from an ATV supply website like Bike Bandit or Cheap Cycle parts, or you can shop around on eBay for another pull starter, or you can rebuild the one you have with nylon cord from a home improvement store (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.). Don't waste your time trying to use a lawnmower pull cord, it'll break.

Remove the old pull starter, remove the bolt that secure the plastic pulley that the old rope is wound around, and CAREFULLY remove the pulley, try very hard to leave the spring in place. If you disturb the spring, it'll jump out and it'll take some very carfeul work to wind it back in. Remove old rope, wind new rope around pulley, (leave a foot or so at the end), push free end of new rope through hole in housing, CARRFULLY place pulley back in housing and engage the end of the spring. Rotate the pulley 1 or 2 turns to put a litte tension on the spring, cut the free end of the rope and install pull handle, tie knot in rope, and reinstall repaired pull starter.

As far as the gear changing problem in low range, you'll have to pull off the range box and see what's broken inside it - probably the selector lever or something.

Not sure what you mean by you "don't know how sort it".

Mr_RPM
08-09-2010, 03:18 PM

make sure your 4 stroke oil says for motorcycle or atv use. if it does not it may contain energy saving additives that will ruin your clutch and cause it to progressively slip worse and worse.
any atv or motorcycle oil around 10-40 will do just fine. just keep the oil clean =)

Brankin
08-09-2010, 04:44 PM
I have found out why it won't go into low range properly I took the casing off and on the low range cog the metal sleeve in the middle has worn down so it doesn't sit right . Does anyone know what it's real name is and where I can get 1 iam in the uk . Thanks for your help . Daniel

ctbale
08-09-2010, 07:29 PM
your oil should not say Energy Conserving in the circle on the back of the oil container. It means it has molybdenum disulfide. oil should say MA rating, but what do I know, I use moble 1 10w-40

ctbale
08-09-2010, 07:33 PM
take off that sub tranny cover. look for broken parts. the trannys on the 110 are pretty tough.

Brankin
08-09-2010, 08:11 PM
I took off the high and low range case and took out the right hand side cog and the inside casing which is a softer metal tube what looks like a thin aluminium tube was really warn down and I need a new 1 of them and everything else looks fine no damaged cog or anything

Brankin
08-09-2010, 08:12 PM
So any motor oil which is 10w 40 should be ok

Mr_RPM
08-09-2010, 10:04 PM
So any motor oil which is 10w 40 should be ok

no, car oil will ruin it. it must be motorcycle oil (also atv oil) these oils are designed for wet clutches. but after that any brand will work. valvoline makes a cheap atv oil

Brankin
08-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Thankyou for your help eveyone

dear140
08-11-2010, 12:20 PM
make sure when you wind the cord you dont super over tighten it.