PDA

View Full Version : 350x drain plug

mike1979
08-08-2010, 10:41 AM
My drain plug was stripped out so I put in a 1 oversize plug but it leaks. What are my options here?
re-tap?
heli-coil?
Anything else? I have never done either, what is best for the do it youselfer? OR should I leave that to the pros and take it to a shop?
The "self Tapping" plug in it right now has a plastic washer that is roughly 1/4" think, should I try a copper crush waher so I can get a few more threads that will bite?

harryredtrike
08-08-2010, 11:04 AM
put a rubber o-ring on it,have em at the hardware store

SWIGIN
08-08-2010, 11:47 AM
I always use heli coils with great results.

Dirtcrasher
08-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Helicoil would be best but if you used a self tapping bolt for a car or truck oil pan, it's probably too big now for a helicoil.

You really can't use o-rings unless a groove is built in for them, they tend to squeeze out the edge and it's a fine line between tight enough and too much.

Get a copper washer that will crush a bit and seal.

Next time you tap any threads with a self tapping bolt or helicoil tap, put grease all over the tap to catch 80% of the aluminum, then do a flush and filter change and your good.

Ease up on the aluminum, too many guys strip drain plugs; I just did one yesterday AM a few hours before a 250F flat track event when I got begged for help. Needless to say - HE OWES ME!! :D

3Razors
08-08-2010, 02:21 PM
I've used both Timesert and Helicoil in the past, and a Timesert is a much stronger and better repair job. You get a full steel thread sleeve and the hole you tap in the case is much smaller than would have to be for a helicoil. Also the end of the timesert is tapered so there is no way it work its way loose and go inside the case, which occasionaly happens with a helicoil.

sdm111
08-08-2010, 03:00 PM
I have used the rubber plugs with the butterfly nut that tightens and expands the rubber to seal it from autozone with good results, the only drawback is it's not reusable.

mike1979
08-08-2010, 04:09 PM
I think I am going to go ahead and take to to a professional. I would rather pay to have it done right and have piece of mind.

350Xccelerator
08-09-2010, 02:00 PM
I just got a similar problem. I changed my oil on friday, put the drain bolt back in and thought everything was fine.

Then i noticed it was leaking so i tried tightening the bolt a little more but it reaches a point where it just keeps spinning, and it doesnt go all the way up to where it will tighten completely.