PDA

View Full Version : My 350x keeps leaking oil out of the oil filter cover...

MagicJames
08-05-2010, 10:15 AM
The Oil filter cover is seeping oil from the bottom and it is a substantial amount. I tried to take it off last night and clean all the surfaces and then put a new o ring on it, and a new clean oil filter, and it still leaks... Im kind of lost on what to do...

Is there supposed to be a gasket on that surface??

Let me know!

atc350xer
08-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I thought just the o-ring did the sealing work... maybe your cover is warped? I have one if you need one...

dlgorie@yahoo.c
08-05-2010, 11:51 AM
No gasket that I know of.... What I usually do is put a little oil on the cover and around the O-ring before I re-install it. That helps the cover slide on easy so the O-ring doesn't get pinched. Tighten the bolts evenly and you should be good. If the leak continues I would double check the O-ring

MagicJames
08-05-2010, 12:33 PM
i JUST put on a Brand new o ring and it still leaks.... It's kind of irritating... i tried 2 different covers and it still seeps...

atc350xer
08-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Yeah, that sucks... I musta got lucky with mine.

350x'inNY
08-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Huh.... In all my years of oil changing on 350X's I've never had a problem with that. Weird. Isn't there a small O-ring for the oil cooler hose too? You have the 3 bolts correct too I assume. Even my beater X has been fine when changing the oil. That one would leak from the kicker shaft seal, just had to change the seal out.

dlgorie@yahoo.c
08-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Only problem I ever had was a pinched O-ring. Slapped a new one in and the leak stopped.

Dirtcrasher
08-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Sounds like 1 of the 2 mating surfaces have a raised edge. Look at them carefully, sometimes the threads themselves are raised.......

I'd try a fine file and then a stone on each surface.

Grease the oring and the bolts and it should be good to go.

OEM or AM o rings never gave me an issue......

harryredtrike
08-05-2010, 04:55 PM
tighten bolts together alittle here a little there dont crank on one and then the next one

SWIGIN
08-05-2010, 05:23 PM
i JUST put on a Brand new o ring and it still leaks.... It's kind of irritating... i tried 2 different covers and it still seeps...

You keep saying A new o ring.....do you know there is 2 o rings?

ATCeeya
08-05-2010, 05:46 PM
I had same problem mine was MISSING the smaller O-ring. Put one in there and problem was solved

Dirtcrasher
08-05-2010, 08:59 PM
I hope he knows there are 2 orings............................

MagicJames
08-06-2010, 12:56 PM
There is a large one on the bigger cover and then one on the hose from the oil cooler. I replaced the o ring on the cover. Is there 2 on the cover?

I know better than to tighten one up fully then go to the next, i work them around in progression.

My next thought is to get a stone and flatten out the surface on the case next.

Unless there is another o ring I'm unaware of.

SWIGIN
08-06-2010, 05:04 PM
I thought so....lol

1 large O ring goes on the cover where it slids back into the case. The 2nd O ring goes near the bottom of the cover and there is a groove for it. it should be easy to see where it would go.

CRAZY70MAN
08-06-2010, 05:49 PM
I thought so....lol

1 large O ring goes on the cover where it slids back into the case. The 2nd O ring goes near the bottom of the cover and there is a groove for it. it should be easy to see where it would go.

My X leaked after a oil change as well. The area that the oil cooler hose sits in must be spotless. I used a q tip and got down in those tiny cracks. That is were my problem was and made it seem like it was leaking from the large cover o ring. If that does not work, Dirtcrasher's input would seem to be my next step as well. Good luck

SWIGIN
08-06-2010, 05:55 PM
My X leaked after a oil change as well. The area that the oil cooler hose sits in must be spotless. I used a q tip and got down in those tiny cracks. That is were my problem was and made it seem like it was leaking from the large cover o ring. If that does not work, Dirtcrasher's input would seem to be my next step as well. Good luck

Well it's just common sence that you need to keep those areas clean. But regardless on how clean you have it you do need all the O rings...lol

I'll try to go get a pic of the little O ring and where it goes and post it here since this has come upmore then once.

SWIGIN
08-06-2010, 06:15 PM
OK, here is the little O ring sitting in it's groove. This is the one I have seen a bunch of guys loose then say they can't stop a oil leak. There is a total of 3 O rings for the cover, 1 for the top oil line, 1 large one that slides into the filter area, And this little fellow.

http://i34.tinypic.com/o5vt05.jpg

Even if you have this little O ring it might be flattened out from being old and not sealing well. my buddy had a chromed 350x oil filter cover that he gave me for free because he said he could not get it to stop leaking. After I cleaned all the silicon sealer out of it and used ALL new O rings it never weeped a drop.....he was pissed....lol

350Xccelerator
08-06-2010, 09:00 PM
I just got the same problem on my 250sx after changing the oil

mike1979
08-06-2010, 11:44 PM
I wish I didnt read this thread... I feel like I am going to be jinxed after this... LOL
Anyway James, look at it this way, you could have a stripped drain plug like me. I love my 350x, but damnit, everything seems to go the "hard way" on this thing.
Let me put it like this... When I changed the carrier, it took a 5" grinder, a large pipe wrench, and a new anti fade nut assambly to get it all done.
:(

MagicJames
08-09-2010, 02:04 PM
wow... I've looked like 5 times at that cover and never once realized that there was an o ring that went there. I will go order one (maybe 5 just in case) and then swap out the cover. I guarantee that there is no o ring there because i took a wire brush (toothbrush sized) and scrubbed both surfaces. I feel like el stupido now...

Thanks guys!!!

SWIGIN
08-09-2010, 05:16 PM
FWIW, I'd never use any size wire brush on a sealing surface. next time just use a rag and some super clean, or a real tooth brush.