PDA

View Full Version : The 350X is gone :(

inv3ctiv3
08-04-2010, 01:54 PM
I never really thought I'd make this thread but I am and it really sucks. I sold my 1985 Honda 350X today, it's on it's way to the shipping company and is being exported to New Zealand by the new owner :( It has been hands down the best ATC I have EVER owned, I will get another one someday but I sold it because I am getting into racing my 400EX, I would have never gotten the 400EX but we can't race trikes here and I really want to race. It had just been sitting and I rather it go to someone who's going to ride it and enjoy it, I definitely am not leaving this site, all you guys rule and I plan on getting another trike very soon, I want a project 350X that I can rebuild from the ground up.

These are the last pictures taken of it, I did however take some really nice shots of it with my film camera and will post those as soon as they get developed but for now it's just cell phone pics.

Goodbye old friend!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/4860256433_18860d4aa3_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4860256475_38f83c4c0f_z.jpg

All loaded up

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4860256501_be3b0815aa_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/4860256539_f09b1ae5f5_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4073/4860256383_bd098f54e6_z.jpg

whyzee
08-04-2010, 02:00 PM
i can't believe you did this !!!!!! you are going to kick yourself in the butt in a few months !! you loved that bike.
I totally understand selling bikes , but i regret to this day for letting my mint 85 and 86 350X go...ugh

atc350xer
08-04-2010, 02:05 PM
That was a nice 350x for sure, I'm sure the new owner will enjoy it!

thestud25
08-04-2010, 02:13 PM
At least he didn't part! Sorry you had to let it go!

bigworm626
08-04-2010, 02:29 PM
oh nooooooo! WTF. Please tell me it was sold for atleast $1500 or more? If you need a trike I'll give you one of mine. There no 350X though, thang!!

three_wheelin45
08-04-2010, 02:40 PM
:( I never thaught You would sell that thing :( but atleast your not like some people and just let it sit for years and years. Now it will get ridin(hopefully)

inv3ctiv3
08-04-2010, 02:40 PM
I got more then I paid for it and just under $1500 so I am ok with it. It was a GREAT trike, honestly the best I've ever owned. And if you have a trike you wanna sell for cheap I'd definitely meet up and get it, I want something I can rebuild and work on.

rdlsz24
08-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Wow New Zealand huh?

I can understand why you did what you did. I get much more use out of my quad around here as well. Maybe you would be better off getting a 450R instead of sticking money into your 400ex if you are going to race??

Rob

three_wheelin45
08-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Wow New Zealand huh?

I can understand why you did what you did. I get much more use out of my quad around here as well. Maybe you would be better off getting a 450R instead of sticking money into your 400ex if you are going to race??

Rob

:( 450rs are ewwy :lol: get you a yfz450 :mad:

rdlsz24
08-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Haha well I was trying to not have this turn into a which quad to buy opinion thread and keeping with the Honda theme. :)

Rob

three_wheelin45
08-04-2010, 02:54 PM
IMHO i like the 450r just saying the yfz450 is better(says my cousin)yfz also looks :mad:er :lol: I love honda :)

whyzee
08-04-2010, 03:04 PM
oh nooooooo! WTF. Please tell me it was sold for atleast $1500 or more? If you need a trike I'll give you one of mine. There no 350X though, thang!!

I know prices out west are cheaper that here, but I hope you got at least $2200-$2500 for that machine esp. with the buyer being from New Zealand.

ATC-Eric
08-04-2010, 03:13 PM
That sucks, but tough times call for tough measures. Man that thing was nice!

NINJA
08-04-2010, 03:15 PM
You better get another trike, you don't wanna be stuck with the dreaded "quadtard" moniker! J/K
I understand though, if you wanna race, you wanna race.

shortbus
08-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Damn that was a nice trike!

three_wheelin45
08-04-2010, 03:28 PM
:lol: now your gona have to replace the :w00t: in your signature with :cry:

hang&rattle
08-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Yup, that one kinda hurt bud. You will regret it for years to come, as anyone with experience on here can testify, so I can feel you're pain. You paid a great price for it and it was worth more than you sold it for. Please get another trike soon, I enjoy talkin' trikes with you on here. (As a trike buddy, I am disappointed in you, but still with ya.)

Mr_RPM
08-04-2010, 03:46 PM
The sentimental value 5, 10, 30 years from now would have been worth way more than what you got for it. I also agree with the idea of a 450 rather than a 400ex for racing. Been on many 450s and the 400ex just wont compare (unless your riding with guys who are worse than you).
anyways good luck on your racing and i hope you get another trike asap even if its just a slow one. Hopefully you can find something that will treat you as well as your 350. =)

inv3ctiv3
08-04-2010, 03:53 PM
I will get another trike soon enough, and I will definitely own a 350X again, I want one I can rebuild from the frame up. Thanks for all the kind words and I'll definitely miss the 350X. I've thought about a 450R but their maintenance schedules are crazy compared to a 400EX and I am not going to be in the pro class or anything I am just starting out and really like my 400EX.

KeepItOn3
08-04-2010, 04:02 PM
if you change your mind I still have my 450 for sale its just sitting in my shop. Damn i didnt know you were going to get rid of the 350X that fast, i should have considered that trade. Oh well man good luck with racing, let me know where the races are at, if they come to So Cal ill come out and give some support dude.

bigworm626
08-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Nooooo!! Am I dreaming. ya, it must be a dreaded dream. Why but why! j/k 350x in my humble opinion is the maximum and a atc 70.

whyzee
08-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Don't worry too much about being waay underpowered on your 400EX. The skills will get you through the novice class. Just don't be too dissappointed when you have your first few races. As anyone on here who races, you think you are a really fast rider until you show up at your first organized race and barely qualify for the beginner ( novice class ). Organized racing is an entirely different animal than just racing everyone around the trails and being the fastet rider always.
hang in there and remember, corner speed is where races are won and lost !
good luck and keep us posted on your racing. I hope you get out there and win !

inv3ctiv3
08-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Don't worry too much about being waay underpowered on your 400EX. The skills will get you through the novice class. Just don't be too dissappointed when you have your first few races. As anyone on here who races, you think you are a really fast rider until you show up at your first organized race and barely qualify for the beginner ( novice class ). Organized racing is an entirely different animal than just racing everyone around the trails and being the fastet rider always.
hang in there and remember, corner speed is where races are won and lost !
good luck and keep us posted on your racing. I hope you get out there and win !

Thanks man! I am really excited but really nervous too haha.

if you change your mind I still have my 450 for sale its just sitting in my shop. Damn i didnt know you were going to get rid of the 350X that fast, i should have considered that trade. Oh well man good luck with racing, let me know where the races are at, if they come to So Cal ill come out and give some support dude.

My first race is at Glen Helen in San Bernadino not this weekend but next weekend! I forget how much you were asking for that 450R but I could definitely be interested.

haggard 2hundie
08-04-2010, 04:40 PM
a moment of silence for your fallen hero.................ok. its a sad loss but if your into the quad then focus on that , good luck racing and im hoping to see some action shots of the 400ex in quad central

whyzee
08-04-2010, 04:46 PM
holy trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro !!!!! glen helen!!!!! wow ! nothing like one of the best MX tracks in the world for your first race. just stay focused on your own riding and ability. Have fun. There is nothing like the feeling of a full gate, the smell of race gas , and that 15 second card to turn sideways.
Start in 2nd gear and use your 3 fingers on the clutch for the start ( your middle, ring and pinky). It allows for a much smoother release and will prevent you from gooning out at the start ( a full on flip )

harryredtrike
08-04-2010, 04:59 PM
the new owner will be really happy,make him join the site

inv3ctiv3
08-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks for all the support guys, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to focus on one certain thing even if it sucks. I WILL own another 350X someday soon and have my eyes set on a TPC450R as well.

If you wanna follow my 400EX build check it out: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?117177-A-lot-has-happnened-this-past-week.....

aldochina
08-04-2010, 05:48 PM
foolish!! foolish!!

bigworm626
08-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Givem hell Aldo! lol

CRAZY70MAN
08-04-2010, 05:56 PM
I got more then I paid for it and just under $1500 so I am ok with it. It was a GREAT trike, honestly the best I've ever owned. And if you have a trike you wanna sell for cheap I'd definitely meet up and get it, I want something I can rebuild and work on.

Man, nice 350x........ prolly' would have fetched way more than that in my neck of the woods. Gotta do what ya gotta do though. Did you ever post it on 3ww or ebay or Clist?????

oldtime3wheeler
08-04-2010, 06:05 PM
I personally would'nt have sold the x. Way to nice of a bike and you will miss it when you are not racing.

inv3ctiv3
08-04-2010, 06:06 PM
It was on C-list and that's it, I kinda didn't want to advertise it too much cause deep down I didn't want to sell it, or at least sell it to fast.

whyzee
08-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks for all the support guys, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to focus on one certain thing even if it sucks. I WILL own another 350X someday soon and have my eyes set on a TPC450R as well.

If you wanna follow my 400EX build check it out: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?117177-A-lot-has-happnened-this-past-week.....

Sounds like you are serious aout racing . Please listen ...Ok, a huge word of advice.....DO NOT put too much money into the 400EX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you will see you need a 450 after your first race. Especially on those long hills and HUGE braking bumps. Trust me, you have never seen anything like it until you race the second moto!!
Just wait until you see how fast the experts are , then wait until you watch the motocross classes.. Try not to get to depressed. those guys have been riding / racing since they were very very young !!!

Mr_RPM
08-04-2010, 06:38 PM
yeah, the maintenance of a 450 is part of racing. and its not too bad. Its not as bad as it seems. valve adjustments and oil changes is what it mainly is. the whole "change piston every 10 hours and inspect all engine components" thing isn't strict just a recommendation. you can go much longer and still have a very healthy strong 450 before you need a rebuild. Its like my 110 manual says change oil and filter screen every 30 days of usage. how many 110s went passed that by years and years? you wont get that far on your 450 its just an example of how the manuals are very conservative.

jensenracing77
08-04-2010, 06:44 PM
a 400EX can be more than capable of winning in upper classes. not in stock form but the 450s in the upper classes are not stock either. i have done it myself so i know. i finished in 8th out of 39 in pro/am class. i would have had 6th over all but suffered an asthma attack and lost some places in the main. it was the worst start i ever had on a quad in the first moto, i was dead last into the first turn. 20 quads in the first qualifier. i went from 20th to 6th in the qualifier and finished 8th in the main with an 8th overall. i can hole shot 450s all day long on my 400EX.

sorry to hear of the 350X being gone but i understand. i did the same thing. and they are right, i wish i didn't do it. i had to have the money for race parts for the 4 wheeler.

just to mention, i have the same crank in my 400EX that it came with in 2000. you can't run a 450 like that and still have the same crank. but most people don't run there 450s as hard as i do my 400.

whyzee
08-04-2010, 06:51 PM
^ Jenson, sounds like you are a seriously talanted rider !!! the big question is how much $$ did you put into your 400EX before you just went to a 450? I would race the piss out of the stock 400ex until you have enough money for a nice new 450. Save your money from modding the 400. you will not get a penny of it back when you go to sell it. For now just race it with the minimum ( kill switch and nerf bars, number plates, etc. ) and see how much you enjoy organized racing.
My bet is you will be addicted after the end of the day , and dreaming of a 450 ;)
Good luck and please keep us posted. Very excited to follow beginner racers, and offer 20+ yrs of racing advice.
I just love teaching/helping , now that my racing days are over ...( for now ) hahaha

three_wheelin45
08-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Lol im still in shock....I figured you would never sold that thing, and if you did you would sell it toa 3ww member :cry:

inv3ctiv3
08-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks for all the support/help! Jensen has been a big influence on me, I trust him a lot with this stuff. I do plan on getting a 450R and keeping the 400EX for my GF to ride or for trails, I went to buy a KFX450R last month but here in CA we have over $2,000 in fees and licensing on new quads so I was over it. I wanna wait and see what happens with honda's next 450R and if nothing happens I want a YFZ or LTR. I also don't plan on spending very much, I've only put like $400 into it and don't plan on really doing much more, I won't do a 440 kit or anything like that.

whyzee
08-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks for all the support/help! Jensen has been a big influence on me, I trust him a lot with this stuff. I do plan on getting a 450R and keeping the 400EX for my GF to ride or for trails, I went to buy a KFX450R last month but here in CA we have over $2,000 in fees and licensing on new quads so I was over it. I wanna wait and see what happens with honda's next 450R and if nothing happens I want a YFZ or LTR. I also don't plan on spending very much, I've only put like $400 into it and don't plan on really doing much more, I won't do a 440 kit or anything like that.
$2000 in fees????? HOLY COW ! CA is rough!
sounds like you are doing your homework !!!!
now if you wanna win, get the 10 speed bike out and start doing some serious cardio work...like 30 miles 3 x a week..
welcome to the show. it's a whole new world

Ironbnder
08-04-2010, 07:41 PM
I am amazed at the trike prices around the country. Down south where the mud eats bikes, that X would have easily got $2500.00. That is what I had to pay for my liquid R. It was clean but beaters are still better than a grand. You just cant find them down here.

400ex vs 450R= No contest. I raced in the 12 Hours Of America in Texas last year and if you were not on a 450R you might as well not wasted the fuel. I know Pro Class spends more on shocks than I do on whole machines, but stock 450s are still incredible.

inv3ctiv3
08-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Yea I need to work on cardio, I am definitely nervous cause I don't know how to properly launch a bike @ the starting gate and all that. I have ridden ATC's and ATV's all my life and consider myself pretty good at it but I know this race is gonna prove to me otherwise haha. But I want that, I want to learn and grow and become a better rider.

whyzee
08-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Yea I need to work on cardio, I am definitely nervous cause I don't know how to properly launch a bike @ the starting gate and all that. I have ridden ATC's and ATV's all my life and consider myself pretty good at it but I know this race is gonna prove to me otherwise haha. But I want that, I want to learn and grow and become a better rider.

ok, a little trick on the start gate.
like i said before, 3 fingers on the clutch. keep your quad a couple of feet away from the gate and when the 15 second card turns sideways slowly start to roll forward with your clutch until you see the gate drop. have the throttle nearly wide open as you ease forward toward the gate until it drops. when it drops, ease the clutch out all the way and hammer the throttle wide open.
NO matter what, get to the inside of that first corner first !!!!
if you get a horrible start , stay wide..haha there is usually a huge pileup in the novice class on the inside corner for the rider who is not in the lead !!

go practice the 3 finger on the clutch and rolling start.!!!

if you are reaching for starting positions out of a bucket, always reach for the ones on the bottom!!! those are the ones that go in first and you will usually get a great gate pick...haha 1-10 garunteed !

reddawg85
08-04-2010, 08:47 PM
the good and bad is that somebody else gets 2 enjoy that beats of a bike..the bad you will regret selling it,cause it happened to me once and i went into a very stressful 6 months and had to buy another..anyways good luckmand stay red not blue

atc350xer
08-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Usually you don't see 3 pages in a thread unless someone GOT a trike... this one is about SELLING one... lol

whyzee
08-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Usually you don't see 3 pages in a thread unless someone GOT a trike... this one is about SELLING one... lolhaha so true !!!
we all know how much he loved his 350X and how we have all made the same mistake !
i think we are all crying inside a bit that we did'nt get to buy it :)

atc350xer
08-04-2010, 09:15 PM
I have said it before... I will NEVER sell mine, even though I'm getting older(41), I dig it too much to let it go

83ATC185S
08-04-2010, 09:16 PM
wow, didnt even know this was for sale! im looking for a nice 350x like that!

jensenracing77
08-04-2010, 09:24 PM
^ Jenson, sounds like you are a seriously talanted rider !!! the big question is how much $$ did you put into your 400EX before you just went to a 450?

much less than you think. 80 over 10.5 piston, the right cam, the right rev box, the right carburetor, and one other $100 trick and a 400EX will smoke most modified 450s. no porting on the head needed. i have said in a PM that if he was going to race full time and at a high level that a 450 may be the better choice but will also be big money to race at that level on any bike.

jensenracing77
08-04-2010, 09:36 PM
ok, a little trick on the start gate.
like i said before, 3 fingers on the clutch. keep your quad a couple of feet away from the gate and when the 15 second card turns sideways slowly start to roll forward with your clutch until you see the gate drop. have the throttle nearly wide open as you ease forward toward the gate until it drops. when it drops, ease the clutch out all the way and hammer the throttle wide open.
NO matter what, get to the inside of that first corner first !!!!
if you get a horrible start , stay wide..haha there is usually a huge pileup in the novice class on the inside corner for the rider who is not in the lead !!

go practice the 3 finger on the clutch and rolling start.!!!

if you are reaching for starting positions out of a bucket, always reach for the ones on the bottom!!! those are the ones that go in first and you will usually get a great gate pick...haha 1-10 garunteed !

pretty good info but if you roll your start watch out after the race. i seen a guy get the heck beat out of him for doing that. Red Bud has a trench that the front tires have to sit in and you can't roll the start. i also never look at the gate. i look about 20 feet on front of the gate. you will react faster to a reflex than from sight. the only way to figure it all out is to do it and do alot of it. also, drink tons of water the week before the race and twice that much the day of the race. i hate water but it is the key to less am pump.

jensenracing77
08-04-2010, 09:40 PM
you have to report to us the day after the race. i want to know how long it takes to get out of bed. if you are not in pain the morning after a race you were not racing hard enough, lol

just be safe and have fun.

inv3ctiv3
08-04-2010, 11:10 PM
I am hopefully going to pre-run the track on saturday but am not sure, I need all the advice/help I can get.

portland250r
08-05-2010, 01:52 AM
that sucks she has to go if it was me i would atleast let a friend or someone close hold on to it and maintain it.

3wheelmecca
08-05-2010, 02:04 AM
Dang, that 350x was Minty mint mint. At least it gives way to more things to buy and another project to build. I like building trikes more than riding them sometimes. Sounds sick, but I don't even want to ride the 200X I am building.

inv3ctiv3
08-05-2010, 02:57 AM
The trike was completely mint when I bought it but if I am honest with you guys it really wasn't when I sold it, I beat on that thing for almost a whole year, it saw some very gnarly trails and MX tracks on the regular. It was definitely a nice trike but in no way mint anymore and I want a trike I can completely rebuild like I said earlier.

whyzee
08-05-2010, 06:30 AM
pretty good info but if you roll your start watch out after the race. i seen a guy get the heck beat out of him for doing that. Red Bud has a trench that the front tires have to sit in and you can't roll the start. i also never look at the gate. i look about 20 feet on front of the gate. you will react faster to a reflex than from sight. the only way to figure it all out is to do it and do alot of it. also, drink tons of water the week before the race and twice that much the day of the race. i hate water but it is the key to less am pump.

haha , yea rolling the gate is kinda like cheating a little, but it is the novice class. just do it real slow. and jenson is right, do not look at the gate, your perhipial vison picks the movement quicker than staring at it :)

jensenracing77
08-07-2010, 08:35 PM
was it this weekend that you were racing? any updates?

inv3ctiv3
08-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Nope the race is next weekend, I was gonna go ride it today but its 3 hours away so I didn't have time.

tanks350x
08-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Sorry you had to get rid of your 3-fiddy, I would feel the same way if I had to get rid of mine.. mine and yours are very similar in set up
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll124/tankispmaximus/videoofdcs006.jpg

whyzee
08-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Sorry you had to get rid of your 3-fiddy, I would feel the same way if I had to get rid of mine.. mine and yours are very similar in set up
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll124/tankispmaximus/videoofdcs006.jpg

I just love pics like this...a beauty 350X and a nice old barn in the country ! brings back alot of memories

inv3ctiv3
08-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Went for a ride today and had a great time, just picked up a new alpine star neck brace, all new FOX 360 Riding gear (black and white) and the quad ran beautifully.

cosmohawk
08-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Seriously...you sold that 350X for "just under $1500"? The one in the pictures? You've got to be kidding me...

I've looked at a few in eastern Canada...nothing near in as good shape as your 350X...and they are looking for upwards of $2500 - $3300.

Man...I don't know what the market is like on the west coast, but the prices and trikes are amazing, compared to the east.

I can't believe you sold it...you're gunna be like everyone else I know...in 6 months, uttering the words..."why did I ever sell it!?". She was a beauty!

NOS_350X
08-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Are you going to race it with those Big stock tires?

As for the starting, Find something that WORKS FOR YOU!!!
Some people watch the pin, some watch the gate, If the guy that drops the gate isnt in a house watch his leg. There is too many options Just pick something that works for you.

Here is 2 videos of Some Ice racing i did last year. Im on the banshee, and there is a Ribbon right in front of us, I just watch that ribbon and go when it shoots up, (if you brake the ribbon you jumped the start)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH8cUeqGhy4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Q1ENSz76Q

inv3ctiv3
08-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Yes and no to the tires....I just bought some Holeshot SR's for the rear but when I rode yesterday I was understeering which was new to me on my quad haha. So I am going to try and order some new fronts as well this week.

fabiodriven
08-09-2010, 12:42 PM
I just caught this thread. You're gonna regret this, I guarantee it.

inv3ctiv3
08-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I don't think so, 350x's can be had for that much around here all day long. There are no shortages of them right now.

I bought it completely original and in perfect condition for $1275

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2698/4426327198_6fd8bca563_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2757/4426327232_827d3ee4c9_o.jpg

Dirtcrasher
08-09-2010, 06:23 PM
1275 that would have brought 3000$ in parts...............

Mudflap -100$
Fender - 500$ plus
Tank - 200$
Motor - 500$ or so
Seat - 200$
Front end 200$
Guards, plates - 100$
Frame 100-200$
Harness - 100$

Brakes, bars, calipers, toolbox, grab bar, tires and rims, exhaust etc etc etc.

You got half the value or less........

I'm HUGE trike fan but cash is cash and whether it goes in one piece or 30, it's still GONE............

Best of luck with the EX :D

inv3ctiv3
08-09-2010, 06:32 PM
You guys gotta remember the trike was not in that condition when I sold it....It was still nice but not nearly as nice as when I bought it, the fenders had 2 cracks in them, the tank was missing a mount and had scratches in it cause I hugged the tank with my knees. I rode that trike and I rode like I stole it. The new owner knew all of this stuff obviously but pics can be deceiving, the trike was nice but no where what it was when I first bought it.

Dirtcrasher
08-09-2010, 06:48 PM
It was still a West Coast trike, 25 years old and with some parts that would look super all cleaned up.

I just hate to see you get shortchanged and I hope you get your payment because that trike was worth more than that all day long...........

whyzee
08-09-2010, 06:56 PM
haha ..i think we are all just bummed here on the east coast because you can't touch bikes like that for under $2500 around here , even after you rode it hard
Now, go practice for your race. But just remember to have fun. Racers are fast. I will never forget my first organized race. I got beat by 2 girls and just qualified for the main novice class by 1 spot. In the main, I came in 37th out of 40..haha the other 3 rider's dnf. it was very humbling to say the least, but one of the greatest accomplishments for me, at the same time.
have fun out there

inv3ctiv3
08-09-2010, 07:10 PM
I got more then $1275 but had it listed at $1600 and the only response I got was "lol who is gonna pay $1600 for a 350x?" and it was up for about two weeks. It's totally different out here and to be honest, I didn't want to mess with shipping the fenders and motor, I was glad to see it go in one piece where it's gonna get ridden and enjoyed.

Dznutts
08-09-2010, 07:15 PM
that thing looked sweet.
if you dont mind could you tell how much the shipping was?
I live in Hawaii and I think i'm going to have to go that route also and buy a trike from the states, I dont see any around here on the islands..

inv3ctiv3
08-09-2010, 07:41 PM
I don't have any idea, he handled all that, all we did was drop it off and get the cash.

3Razors
08-10-2010, 12:44 AM
You did good man. There are always a few cream puff bikes to find on the westcoast, just gotta have the cash when they show up. Let those other guys that beat the junk out of there trikes deal with finding parts from basketcase part outs.

whyzee
08-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Still racing GH tomorrow ?

inv3ctiv3
08-15-2010, 09:10 PM
I didn't race today :( Everything fell through last minute, I am supposed to race a 36 mile desert race in Barstow next weekend and Glen Helen in November

whyzee
08-17-2010, 07:07 PM
it is probably for the better that Glen Helen was not your first race. Seriously , that would have been overwhelming. Awesome that you are doing a local long distance race. Great way to start out racing. Keep the quad races on smaller , more local tracks if you have any by you. Wait until you have a half a dozen races or so under your belt before you do Glen Helen. November should be perfect !
Keep the updates coming

inv3ctiv3
08-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Yea unfortunately there is NO quad racing in So Cal, everyone hates quads around here. There is one local track and they only let me ride the "small" track, they say the big one is for dirtbikes only.

whyzee
08-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Yea unfortunately there is NO quad racing in So Cal, everyone hates quads around here. There is one local track and they only let me ride the "small" track, they say the big one is for dirtbikes only.

Haha, yea , having raced motocross for almost 20 years, quads do tend to ruin every berm made by the bikes. It makes for a crappy track.

Dirtcrasher
08-18-2010, 03:30 PM
I wouldn't go ne Glen Helen without a ELKA suspended/Lonestar/cammed machine.

Even little jumps for stock suspension can beat the heck out of you, the trike and your spine! Step ups, huge doubles, etc. We have guys that don't wanna do a 20' double because they lack confidence in themselves and the machine.

You can attempt to "take it easy" but all those National tracks are serious business.

I watched the amateurs at Southwick and it's a sand track, not allot of jumps but those guys were not slouches at all; Only the lapped riders were rolling everything.

Also watched the Pro National there a few times; I know you don't expect to be "pro" but holy chit are those guys fast and nuts.

If only I were younger.....................

inv3ctiv3
08-18-2010, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't go ne Glen Helen without a ELKA suspended/Lonestar/cammed machine.

Even little jumps for stock suspension can beat the heck out of you, the trike and your spine! Step ups, huge doubles, etc. We have guys that don't wanna do a 20' double because they lack confidence in themselves and the machine.

You can attempt to "take it easy" but all those National tracks are serious business.

I watched the amateurs at Southwick and it's a sand track, not allot of jumps but those guys were not slouches at all; Only the lapped riders were rolling everything.

Also watched the Pro National there a few times; I know you don't expect to be "pro" but holy chit are those guys fast and nuts.

If only I were younger.....................

I am not taking the trike there, I am taking my 400EX with 450R suspension. I am going there in a few weeks for practice, I am not scared of riding the track I really want to.

whyzee
08-18-2010, 05:57 PM
I am not taking the trike there, I am taking my 400EX with 450R suspension. I am going there in a few weeks for practice, I am not scared of riding the track I really want to.

Not to burst your bubble or anything but DC knows you are riding your quad. A national track is no joke. Trust me I have raced them. I haved raced southwick quite a few times. The only time you sit down on your bike or quad are in the corners. The track is over a mile long and lap times are around 2:30 seconds. The holes are as deep as a VW bug by the time the second moto comes around and there are about 1000 of them. You nearly have to ride a wheelie standing up the whole track. I have seen GH on TV and it looks just as rough.
I am not saying not to race Glen Helen. I am saying race as many races as possible before GH. and please go to an open practice there at least once before you race. You will be blown away by how serious the track is and the shape the racers are in. Forget the jumps you will have to roll all of them. But that is nothing to be ashamed of.

motoman1012002
08-18-2010, 06:06 PM
you really need to sell that 400ex and spend 2500-3 on a 450r the 400ex in racing wont touch the 450's Its a good starter bike dont get me wrong I raced 4 years in pro am on a kfx 450 ltr and the 450r honda and a 05 450r was the best bike the motor is there, the first thing dont build a motor get suspension first a-arms axle and shocks once you get fast on it then build a motorquad racing in very expen I had 3 bikes 1 race 1 back up and a practice bike, My mother came down sick 2 years ago after I wrecked in pratice and Sold it all, Joe byrd lives about 45 mins from me and was a great help for my racing shows set up and skills on how to ride if you want to race and be good get a 450 Im out of racing but still have a old trx250r that i play on sometimes just to money and got a family now, best of luck to you i know what its like

Dirtcrasher
08-18-2010, 06:24 PM

Thank you WHYZEE......

I knew you were taking the quad there, but like he said, thats one serious national track.

I challenge my trike buds to run 10 laps on MY TRACK and most are out of breath in the 3rd lap.

450R suspension is a nice start, but you'll find that the guys with dads deep pockets do best. Also conditioning, like running a few miles every few days a week helps IMMENSELY!

The guys just hitting it on Sat/Sun have there work cut out for them............

whyzee
08-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Conditioning and corner speed will be your best friends. The pace of race speed will be like running 3, 5 minute miles in a row ! And then comes arm pump on the first lap , then leg pump, then you forget to breathe , and then complete cardiovascular overload and you begin to hyperventilate. That is why you always see the word " Breathe " on the pit boards
Just ride your own pace , breathe and start jogging 2 miles every single night starting tonight.

inv3ctiv3
08-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Not to burst your bubble or anything but DC knows you are riding your quad. A national track is no joke. Trust me I have raced them. I haved raced southwick quite a few times. The only time you sit down on your bike or quad are in the corners. The track is over a mile long and lap times are around 2:30 seconds. The holes are as deep as a VW bug by the time the second moto comes around and there are about 1000 of them. You nearly have to ride a wheelie standing up the whole track. I have seen GH on TV and it looks just as rough.
I am not saying not to race Glen Helen. I am saying race as many races as possible before GH. and please go to an open practice there at least once before you race. You will be blown away by how serious the track is and the shape the racers are in. Forget the jumps you will have to roll all of them. But that is nothing to be ashamed of.

I wasn't sure he knew cause he said:

"Even little jumps for stock suspension can beat the heck out of you, the trike and your spine!"

I am taking all of your advice other then selling the 400EX, I don't care to race Pro-am, I am going to race maybe a few times a year and don't want to spend TONS of money doing it. I wanna go out there and have some fun, I'll probably be bummed I can't keep up with guys with deep pockets but whatever. I usually go and ride track in about 20-30 minute runs and take a break then go out for more, I can hardly move the next day but that's what it is all about.

whyzee
08-18-2010, 07:51 PM
I wasn't sure he knew cause he said:

"Even little jumps for stock suspension can beat the heck out of you, the trike and your spine!"

I am taking all of your advice other then selling the 400EX, I don't care to race Pro-am, I am going to race maybe a few times a year and don't want to spend TONS of money doing it. I wanna go out there and have some fun, I'll probably be bummed I can't keep up with guys with deep pockets but whatever. I usually go and ride track in about 20-30 minute runs and take a break then go out for more, I can hardly move the next day but that's what it is all about.

sounds like you have the right frame of mind. Enjoy the hell out of it . It will be some of the best memories of your life. There is nothing like lining up at the gate with 30 other riders all heading for that first turn

inv3ctiv3
08-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Not to forget while I am not in the best shape I am 23 and ride hard 2-3 times a week.

swampthang
08-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Im 23 and ride a 400ex too. I raced hare scrambles on it 2 years ago and was 1 of very few 400ex's that showed up. I had a blast till i would get to a open field and the 450r's would walk all over me. If you just racing for fun and not expecting to get a factory sponser you should do fine and have fun doing it. P.S. your 350x was sick!!

jensenracing77
08-19-2010, 05:21 AM
you will be fine. just because a track is intimidating don't mean anything. go have fun and don't ride over your head. it is nice to ride a track before going to race it.

motoman1012002
08-19-2010, 07:58 AM
the 450r has been out a while I see rull blown race bikes that cost 15 grand to build go for 3500-4 these days heart rate is the most, Your first lap should always be as fast as your last lap

inv3ctiv3
08-19-2010, 01:01 PM
you will be fine. just because a track is intimidating don't mean anything. go have fun and don't ride over your head. it is nice to ride a track before going to race it.

This is one reason I didn't go, I am going to go ride GH here in a couple of weeks just for practice, while it is intimidating it looks really really fun.

whyzee
08-19-2010, 04:23 PM
what the heck does your username stand for ?

inv3ctiv3
08-19-2010, 04:29 PM
what the heck does your username stand for ?

"an insulting or abusive word or expression."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/invective

whyzee
08-19-2010, 04:35 PM
ahhh...the 3's are e's backwards. clever!