PDA

View Full Version : Reproducing 1986-87 AYC200X headlight shells

honda200x1987
08-03-2010, 11:55 PM
I am wondering how many of you would order new repro shells for the 1986-87 ATC200X? I will have them ready for order in about a month or less, depending how long it takes me to get a donor shell. I plan on having them reproduced in Red, white and black. This is a long time coming, so let me know guys!

three_wheelin45
08-04-2010, 12:37 AM
I might be mine has a crack :( every time i pull it out of the shed that crack just looks at me :lol:

Erics350x
08-04-2010, 08:18 AM
im pretty sure its been done my aussieduner

honda200x1987
08-04-2010, 12:53 PM
I have not heard of this, I will check and see.
im pretty sure its been done my aussieduner

honda200x1987
08-04-2010, 01:04 PM
I done some searching on some threads and Apparantly it was too complex to make the 86-87 200x headlight shells. There is a company based in Vietnam that makes parts for Honda motor Co. They can make the shrouds for sure. They have a base in California, I spoke with Eric who is based there and he said it can be done for sure and will only take about a week to make. Sooo,, who has a shell to sell???

haggard 2hundie
08-04-2010, 01:31 PM
depending on the price i would b interested in a red one and a white one

honda200x1987
08-04-2010, 01:55 PM
I am sure the price per headlight bezel will not be too bad but I am not sure on the price yet. My guess will be somewhere between $50 and $75 . I am still needing a Donor headlight bezel for the repro. Does anyone have one for sale at a descent price? Once I send the Donor headlight for reproduction I will not get it back. So it does not have to be perfect either,, who has one???????? I wil pay with paypal
depending on the price i would b interested in a red one and a white one

honda200x1987
08-04-2010, 02:27 PM
To give you guys an idea of what the shells will consist of, here is a picture of a OEM Honda headlight shell for the ATC200 BIG REDS. If you look closely the inside of the shell is white. These were painted shells for Honda are it is OEM Honda. The 200X shells will be painted inside and out and very shiny and tough. The color match will be on the spot or very close to passion red. The headlight bezels will be a nice replacement for the daily rider and a restorer. Here is a picture of a OEM Honda headlight bezel ,as you can see Honda had some plastics painted in the past.

200x350xtriz250
08-04-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm interested in new shells but not if they are painted plastic. It sounds like that is what they are so to be clear are these made of plastic and painted? Is there a reason they can't use colored plastic?

I also have a shell I'd sell - it is used and has scratches and a crack by the adjustment screw on the bottom. If you're interested in the shell please pm me your email so I can send you some pics of it.

vintagemotorsports
08-04-2010, 08:16 PM
my buddy used that guy in vietnam to try to replicate a xr75 seat pan , the guy made something but it wasnt much of a seat pan , all i can say is if it will not look and feel just like hondas its not even worth the effort , the only way to make that shell is injection mold and to make the tooling would be probably 10K . how many die hard 86-87 200x guys out there who would drop $400 to get a mint headlight shell maybe 5 . the market isnt there . i wish there was an easier road to making plastics but there isnt .

honda200x1987
08-04-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm not really sure we are talking about the same guy or not but his name is Eric Tran and he is based in California. I have nothing to lose on this , he is having them made for me at no charge and I get the first one free, they make all kinds of repro motorcycle parts. I have sent him detailed pictures of this shell and he said he has no problem making them.
my buddy used that guy in vietnam to try to replicate a xr75 seat pan , the guy made something but it wasnt much of a seat pan , all i can say is if it will not look and feel just like hondas its not even worth the effort , the only way to make that shell is injection mold and to make the tooling would be probably 10K . how many die hard 86-87 200x guys out there who would drop $400 to get a mint headlight shell maybe 5 . the market isnt there . i wish there was an easier road to making plastics but there isnt .

vintagemotorsports
08-04-2010, 09:53 PM
no thats the guy , Im sure he will be able to make you something but It wont be pretty but like you said the first sample is free its worth a shot but dont expect much ..

miajosh
08-04-2010, 10:36 PM
ill take a white and red but depending on price and how they look. i dont want something that looks like i tried to make it myself if not worse than what i can do. u get what i mean? but if it looks like a honda part then im down. btw what color will they make them? white and then paint it red or what ever or is it clear then painted because if its white and red painted ill just take a white. i hate to pay for something n it peel or flake. i dont know of honda painting anything other than motors,frame,calipers,master cyl,and gastanks. there plastics from what ive seen are mad to color. other than that ill be down

Cuztom Racing
08-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Ill take one as well