PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gen 250r suspension upgrade?

Pintowagon77
08-02-2010, 07:45 PM
I own a 83 250rand the rear shock went out so I went to ebay and got a new one. Well it was for a 84... I then did the research and found the differences between 83 and 84's. - the shock, linkage, mounting tab location on the swing arm, and the shock mount bracket. I have been thinking what can be swiched out and for what.
The differences between the swingarms is that the mounting tab on a 84 is farther to the rear than a 83. So i see it hard to use different link arms with different swingarms. The link arms are different between the years, both link arms and the shock mount together on a 84 with one bolt. On a 83 the shock mounts above the link arm's pivot point. (I would show pics but my satilite internet wont allow, someone has a 83 and 84 setup and could put pics on the inter net would help many people, that cared)
What i am getting at is the bracket the swingarm bolt goes through... there is one difference between the two years. On a 84 the hole the shock mounts to is lower and farther back one the bike. If i was to put it on a 83 would i get longer travel? Not neccesarilly longer travel but ride height. Has anyone tried this, or dose anyone have the parts to try this out?

ktmbk
08-03-2010, 12:58 PM
I have the 84 suspension on my 83 250r. I wanted to use a Kessler Suspension shock I got with a bike that ended up being scrapped. I had to changed everything to get it to work right. Honestly I did not find any travel, ride height or handling difference after I did it. I'm sure there was some reason they changed it between the two years, just don't know what it is.

Pintowagon77
08-03-2010, 08:46 PM
by 84 suspension dose that mean the shock, linkage and swing arm? because those parts aren't interchangeable, the linkage is specific to the mounting tab on the swing arm and the bottom of the shock is specific to the linkage.... the only interchangable peice is the upper shock mount, the bracket the swingarm bolt goes through. I know a 83 shock has the hose coming out the top side which interfears with the 84 bracket, but the bracket can be cut for clearence. The shock mounting holes one the 83 and 84 bracket are in different locations, the 84 lower and to the rear of the bike. So what i wonder is with a 83- (shock, linkage, and swingarm) what happens when you put in a 84 bracket which moves the hole the top of the shock mounts to lower and to the rear of the bike? or with 84- (shock, linkage, and swing arm) what happens with a 83 bracket, which would move the hole up and to the front of the bike?

ktmbk
08-03-2010, 10:51 PM
If I remember correct, if you mix and match the two years I think you bind up on something. I originally tried the 84 shock into the 83 suspension and it didn't work. Once I looked everything over my solution was to change everything (swing arm,linkage, shock, bolts shock arm, skid plate etc...) to the 84 setup. Essentially I bolted on the 84 swing arm and shock assy, reusing swing arm bolt, my bearing carrier, and axle. I think I had to change the upper mount bracket as well. It was pretty much a bolt up swap no cutting or welding. Remember that i happened to have the luxury of a 84 that I had to scrap.

Pintowagon77
08-04-2010, 03:44 PM
that is what im thinking too, cool thanks.

madmiketrx
08-05-2010, 09:20 AM
i have both set ups for an 83 and 84. when i tried to get more ride height nothing would line up right. what am i doing wrong that the other guy did right. and i mean have everything from 83 and 84. i have tried 4 diffrent shocks from trx 2 atc and nothing works. some one tell me what i did wrong

ktmbk
08-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Have you swapped the top mount?