PDA

View Full Version : Stuck 200 Es Front Axle

northy208
08-02-2010, 04:19 AM
I recentley bought a 1984 200 ES. Want to remove the front axle and the damn thing is stuck (seized). I got most of it off. All that remains is the brake plate. Can anyone suggest what to do?

3wheelmecca
08-02-2010, 04:41 AM
Heat up stuck area, Then get a long Aluminum or brass drift and continue tapping it out, and use plenty of penetrating oil, Kroil works wonders on stuck stuff.

Thorpe
08-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Get a tight 6 point socket and an air impact driver and rattle it out... Even a bit of heat as mentioned earlier, and rattle it... DONT use a cheater bar and twist it, there is a good chance you will break it off...

northy208
08-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Thank you both...I will try the heat method. The penetraiting oil is on.

northy208
08-05-2010, 02:55 AM
Nothing worked with the penetrating oil and torch...I dont have an air impact driver , so what next?

CRAZY70MAN
08-05-2010, 05:57 AM
Nothing worked with the penetrating oil and torch...I dont have an air impact driver , so what next?

Leave an old nut on the thread end. Set it upright in on top of vice that is srpread apart a little to let round end with the hole move down when you hit it. The bearing is more than likely seized as mine was. Use a GOOD rubber mallet and even double nut it to protect threads. I t will come out. Use the kroil as you hit it here and there. Good like. Hit it like it was a four wheeler.... lol lol

tri again
08-08-2010, 05:37 AM
I miss my mac deadblow hammer but pretty sure they're avail cheap..full of lead shot so they dont bounce.

or a regular hammer with actual lead weights say from tire balancing place.

I use my impact gun set on super low and run it back and forth a million times...just enuf torque that you can almost hold it stopped with a gloved hand. some say pbblaster, Kroll and depending on what it is, nail polish remover, just dont let the GF see THAT in your toolbox...yea yea yea and cheap nail polish makes GREAT removable thread lock

as we know, we can always do MOre but rarely less.