PDA

View Full Version : How the heck can I check the magneto/alternator/pulse generator on my HOnda trikes?

bobotech
08-02-2010, 01:13 AM
I have 2 trikes with similar electrical systems. A 1982 ATC185 and a 1982 ATC200E. They both use the same CDI unit, same pulse generator, and the same coil asssembly.

New plugs on both of them.

I'm having no spark issues on both of them. The Big Red 200E will run some of the times but I can't get the 185 to fire at all. I have a spare CDI and a spare coil. I replaced the coil on the 200E and it still has the intermittant spark issue.

I then swapped out the CDI on the 185 with a spare CDI and I did the same with the pulse generator, I still get no spark at all on that model.

HOw the heck can I check the magneto/alternator on the trikes, that is the only part I really haven't changed on the trikes.

Help!

Mr_RPM
08-02-2010, 12:11 PM
resistance test i believe.

EarlyBronocGuy
08-02-2010, 12:18 PM
resistance test i believe.Yep.

Test the resistance of the coil, both primary and secondary to ground. Primary should be almost a short, secondary should be a a few thousand ohms. If either measures in the megohms or open, they're bad. Test the high voltage cable going from the coil to the plug, as well - should be no more than a few thousand ohms. Again, if resistance is really high or it's open, replace it. Make sure the neutral safety switch, kill switch, or any wires in the harness aren't shorting to ground.

bobotech
08-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I rebuilt the kill switches on both of them and tested them and they work fine. I also checked the coils and they appear to check out fine as well.

I guess I can just keep plugging away at it.

ubengineering
08-02-2010, 03:36 PM
check the cdi, check the alternator through the charge wire, same with the handlebar switch, the pulse amplifier is the easiest to check just need the two wires at the end of it

also while all this is apart, i took my grinder and grinded down the grounds just enough so bare metal is showing, these ground aint ever going bad!

bobotech
08-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Well I got it running today!! I redid all the connections by the steering head and replaced the coil spark plug wire and boot with a nice aftermarket one.

I rebuilt the carb (a serious cleaning) and it would not fire up at first at all.

It would sputter when I put some starting fluid but nothing else.

I put the stupid float in upside down. LOL

Runs great now. Now to clean it up and get my big red running as well.

ubengineering
08-03-2010, 09:56 AM
beautiful, i know the feeling, i finally got my gfs trike runnin as well, i didnt have to take apart the carb but i think im gonna spray a bunch of cleaner in there while its runnin