PDA

View Full Version : yamaha 225dx problem

raytoofast
07-31-2010, 07:23 PM
hey! im a proud as heck new 3 wheeler owner and i love it! i bought a 1984 yamaha 225dx yesterday that didnt run. i took apart the carb today and cleaned everything and it runs like a beast! as i was riding it my dad noticed oil leaking onto the rear axle. i stoped to find the air cleaner box full of oil:wondering. im not sure just what to do. i know it could be the rings but im not sure. so any help will go to great use.
-thanks, Ray

dirtface
07-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Hey, welcome to the board!!! If it was me I'd just clean all of the oil out of the airbox real good and keep running it to see if it keeps getting oil in it. Might just have been in there from before when the previous owner rolled it or something like that.

raytoofast
07-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Yea there is some great info on here! Anyways lol I dumped it all out and rode for about 2 hours and there is alittle but my dads got The same bike and it has some to so I don't know if it's normal. It runs fine so I'll keep an eye on it I guess.

Mr_RPM
07-31-2010, 11:48 PM
is it oil from oiling the air filter?

raytoofast
08-01-2010, 10:22 AM
thats the thing i dont know becaus ei just bought it. it might be but you dont think that it would be enough to make it leak. like i said im gonna keep an eye out and if the problems keeps up ill let you guys know. One more thing tho.. does anyone know if anybody sells a carb kit for it? my dads bike needs it. also i am looking for a pull start for my bike. Thanks

Mr_RPM
08-01-2010, 08:19 PM
i have seen several bikes need their air box drained because of a 1-ish inch thick layer of oil at the bottom.
i recently bough a recoil cable from dennis kirk thats made from metal that some people really like and it also eliminates rope breaking issues if its a recoil rope your looking for.
check out dennis kirk

raytoofast
08-02-2010, 12:29 PM
ok ill check it out thanks