PDA

View Full Version : prob fixed thanks guys!!!

ubengineering
07-31-2010, 03:12 PM
started a post a few days ago in which no one answered, my gfs 200s had no spark, so i cleaned every ground and checked every wire and threw in a new plug, and she finally starts after a whole bunch of pulls

now the new prob: when it starts, it just sits at like 4000rpm, i can still give it gas to bring it to redline, but it wont go less than about 4000rpm, its super loud and puffs out tons of crappy old gas smoke, i have to leave it on full choke otherwise it will over rev itself with no choke

things i did do: removed the top of the carb, where the spring and needle came out, i put it back in, the lever still pulls the thumb throttle back but its not that same as it was, im prolli going to have to open up the throttle casing on the handlebar

i tried backing out the screw on the passenger side of the carb and then messing with it but nothing changed

idk what causes a super high idle besides a MASSIVE vacuum leak

if it helps, the carb inlet is just open to the air, and the air box is off just so it would be easier for me to work on

thoughts??

ALSO: the spark advancer has NO SPRINGS if that makes a difference

Atcguy.
07-31-2010, 03:19 PM
adjust tthe cable pull it forward towards the handle bars and see if it goes lower

shortline10
07-31-2010, 03:40 PM
You have the throttle valve installed 180 degree out .

started a post a few days ago in which no one answered, my gfs 200s had no spark, so i cleaned every ground and checked every wire and threw in a new plug, and she finally starts after a whole bunch of pulls

now the new prob: when it starts, it just sits at like 4000rpm, i can still give it gas to bring it to redline, but it wont go less than about 4000rpm, its super loud and puffs out tons of crappy old gas smoke, i have to leave it on full choke otherwise it will over rev itself with no choke

things i did do: removed the top of the carb, where the spring and needle came out, i put it back in, the lever still pulls the thumb throttle back but its not that same as it was, im prolli going to have to open up the throttle casing on the handlebar

i tried backing out the screw on the passenger side of the carb and then messing with it but nothing changed

idk what causes a super high idle besides a MASSIVE vacuum leak

if it helps, the carb inlet is just open to the air, and the air box is off just so it would be easier for me to work on

thoughts??

ALSO: the spark advancer has NO SPRINGS if that makes a difference

ubengineering
07-31-2010, 03:41 PM

thats what i thought, but it only fully drops in one way or else the throttle cable wont even work, so it must be in correctly if it fully dropped in

harryredtrike
07-31-2010, 10:55 PM
your throtle valve is in wrong.at the bottom of the slide there is a angle cut on one side,that side goes on the idle screw side.and youll have to fix those springs in the mechanical advance,did you do this yet.i pretty sure you cant use any kind of springs in there

ubengineering
08-02-2010, 10:51 AM
i still have to replace the spark advancer, and you cannot use just any springs, they must be a certain tension

im going to start it and take the throttle valve out and see what it does, but it only goes down ONE way, and if its down i doubt it wrong but i will double check unless someone wants to post a picture, also since i took the handlbar throttle apart will this need readjustment?

atc350xer
08-02-2010, 12:08 PM
I put mine in wrong almost every time I take it apart... you get maybe 1/2 pull on the throttle when it's in wrong. Another thing to check if it only runs on choke is the jets... may be clogged holes. Take the carb apart, use lots of carb cleaner, a tiny wire, and compressed air. Think about getting a carb rebuild kit($15 or so). Check for air leaks on the intake too... too much air and not enough fuel could be why it runs on choke better...

ubengineering
08-02-2010, 12:32 PM
I put mine in wrong almost every time I take it apart... you get maybe 1/2 pull on the throttle when it's in wrong. Another thing to check if it only runs on choke is the jets... may be clogged holes. Take the carb apart, use lots of carb cleaner, a tiny wire, and compressed air. Think about getting a carb rebuild kit($15 or so). Check for air leaks on the intake too... too much air and not enough fuel could be why it runs on choke better...

it runs better without the choke, i have to put the choke on or else it will redline, if the chokes off its like someone has the throttle fully open

shortline10
08-02-2010, 12:36 PM
it runs better without the choke, i have to put the choke on or else it will redline, if the chokes off its like someone has the throttle fully open

It has to be either the throttle cable or the carb slide valve . Try removing the boot at the back of the carb and look to see if the slide is fully seated .

ubengineering
08-02-2010, 05:36 PM

your throtle valve is in wrong.at the bottom of the slide there is a angle cut on one side,that side goes on the idle screw side.and youll have to fix those springs in the mechanical advance,did you do this yet.i pretty sure you cant use any kind of springs in there

you guys were both right, it drops in both ways just one way is farther, she idles perfect thanks!

harryredtrike
08-02-2010, 05:44 PM
glad i could help dude,happy riding

justink250r
04-03-2011, 05:38 PM
hello,my 83 250r is doing the exact same thing unbengineerings bike was,its got 32:1 mix and i had the slide adjusted wrong so i put it in there right but its still idleing reallly high unless choke is on.i have no idea what spark advancers are but you guys sugested they could be the problem for him?pleasde help im getting so frustrated with this machine...

atc007
04-03-2011, 06:11 PM
R is a 2 stroke,,no advancer. Again make sure the slide is resting on the idle screw.If it's not,you probably have a cable or throttle problem. Pretty simple stuff,pop your boot off the back of the carb and make sure the slide is RESTING on the idle screw,if all that is correct ,then your chasing an air leak.But I don't think that's the case here. Once it's idling correctly,adjust your air screw to where it idles the highest,,usually 1-2 turns out,set your idle exactly where you like it with your idle screw and enjoy!

justink250r
04-03-2011, 06:44 PM
i took the boot off and its restin on the idle screw fine..i took the thumb throttle apart and there is alot of slack in the cable, maybe a half inch, so im thinkin trailprotrailpro right about the cable.where would be some good places to check for air leaks just incase?thanks for your help ive been stressin out the last couple days cause of this