PDA

View Full Version : Little light at the end of the tunnel.

hang&rattle
07-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Just a little bit anyhow. I seized up my 85' Tecate motor somehow and dropped in a spare I got with the trike. Previous owner said it's good and runs, good news, but I haven't got it runnin' yet. I have compression, spark and I think fuel. I believe I flooded it a few days ago so left out the plug and when I go to the garage I kick it to clear it. Anyhow went to look up manual for buddy and decided to kick it and it sounded way smooth. Replaced the plug and kicked it and it back fired loud and hard! Scared me to death. But that is a good sign to have some life. Now what? I want to ride it again bad, but don't want to ruin another motor, so I'm a little cautious.

Thorpe
07-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Ride it gentle, and work the bugs out... Then ride it hard!

fabiodriven
07-28-2010, 09:50 PM
You don't have to let it sit if you flood it y'know. Just hold the throttle wide open while you kick it. That'll clear it right out.

Yamaha_Rules69
07-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Check the flywheel and make sure the magnets didnt break on the motor that is siezed. I had it happen once while ridind, and I thought the motor locked up, but the magnets were jammed against the crankshaft.

brapp
07-28-2010, 10:08 PM
2nd the flywheel and just get it fired up then thropw a new plug and then just make shure your jettign is right and then start rebuilding your other motor so you got a good one ready to go that has known good seals and berings.

hang&rattle
07-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks fellas, yeah, I'll be gentle for as long as I can, but I haven't quite got it runnin' yet. And I'm pressured by Tatter-bug because we have a motor for her auto-x and I'm tearing down my 200x to build hers with it, so I have to have the T3 runnin' first. I flooded the pipe I think, not sure, but when I kicked it for days my plug was wet, now I believe it's not. And no overflow came out of the carb overflow line, so I think it all went in, I dunno. And I pulled the stator off the seized motor and have spark (on the new one) so I think the magnets are o.k. You guys can tell I'm a terrible mechanic, so thanks for helping me, I'm trying. If I didn't love my trike so much I wouldn't bother learning. I'm actually being very patient (love does that, ha ,ha) and taking my time. So I will keep doing all that is suggested until she fires.