PDA

View Full Version : 200s no spark

ubengineering
07-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Hey guys, I recently picked up an 80 (believe its an 83) 200s auto for my gf, the owner before me didnt have papers and didnt know the year, and its spray painted black, but she likes it =)

I picked it up for 150$ running a little rough

It would only start and keep running if I kept my finger on the throttle.

So i drained the 3 year old gas out of it and the black oil, put in a new plug, fresh gas and fresh oil

All of a sudden: no start (she never started easily before)

So i pulled the plug and voila no spark

I have a manual from my 200s and starting checking points out with my ohm meter, but couldnt get one damn reading from anything while trying to pull

In the manual it made reference to the CDI cover, So i pulld it and found 2 broken springs on the spark advancer

I'm guessing this is why It won't start??

Either way I'm picking it some springs for today from the local small engine repair shop

Would these broken springs keep it from starting??

Also I Put the advancer back on after removing it and had to turn it to line up with the mark on the little black box above it so when I do put it back on, nothing is off =)

thoughts gentlemen (and ladies) and proper procedures for checking ignition problems?

NOTE: Has excellent compression and plenty of fuel (plug was wet when I pulled it)

comments would be great, she is super excited to get it running again, she loves going on my 200x with me when i throw the ass end sideways =D

EarlyBronocGuy
07-29-2010, 06:45 PM
With no spring pressure on the advance mechanism, it's free to flop around, your timing would varying all over the place (well, by at least 10 degrees or so) - no wonder it was hard to start.

Replace the springs, make sure the ignition rotor points directly toward the hall effect pulse generator at TDC, and check the gap between them - you can move the hall effect sensor slightly away or closer to the rotor by loosening the 2 screws that clamp the ring to the housing. The book will give you the right gap, I think it's like .012 - .016 or so. Use a non-magnetic feeler gauge.

Clean and gap the plug, once you get it running, pull it out and check it when you adjust the valves, it the plug is always wet you either need a hotter plug or a smaller jet in the carb.

bigworm626
07-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Let me be the first to tell you, your the lucky few that has a cool a## girlfriend that like to ride trikes, congrates bro!! I'm been trying for 2 years to get my old lady to ride one of my 8 trikes with no luck, she thinks some retarded coyote or rabbit gonna come & attack her. Women!!