PDA

View Full Version : excessive cam lobe wear on 200es motor why?

BIG_RED-ICULOUS
07-26-2010, 10:13 AM
I recently did a motor tear down and rebuild, and noticed that when I took the rocker box off, the rocker arms and cam lobes were sculled and wore very bad, but the cam journals in the head were o.k. So I put used but what appeared to be a good cam and rockers back in, and just for the sake of a couple bucks put brand new guts in the oil pump. ran it for a couple miles and then it started making a scraping noise. I took the rocker box back off and the rockers and cam lobes are ruined again, but the big end journal is o.k, however the bushing journal is toast. I`ve owned and rebuilt alot of these type of motors before and never had this problem before. Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks!

harryredtrike
07-26-2010, 10:25 AM
not enough oil getting to head.oil should squirt right where that bushing is.a couple things i can think of will do this,valves to tight,oil plug gone(little black piece of rubber on the right side of head)oil pump not working properly

shortline10
07-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Also its pretty common for people to put the head/topend together with silicone sealant at the gaskets witch is a huge mistake . The silicone always seems to make its way to the oil passages and stops the oil flow to the top end .

miajosh
07-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Also its pretty common for people to put the head/topend together with silicone sealant at the gaskets witch is a huge mistake . The silicone always seems to make its way to the oil passages and stops the oil flow to the top end .

x987654321 this was done to my 200x by the previous onwer and i paided for it now. put in a web cam and 2 rockers that i waited for ran it for 5 mins and heard a noise so i took the top off and BAMM scarded rockers well lucky it was super light. so some 2000 grit and some time and 5-8 mins per rocker and i got the scars off and then some light sanding with 2000 grit on the cam. making sure i didnt do any spot more than the other and i had a clean cam again. compaired to a new cam and rockers plus the wait time. i think i did good. i pulled silicone plugs about 1 inch long out of 2 oil passages. and no more problem..