PDA

View Full Version : 90-110 sprockets

Pinhead
07-23-2010, 09:07 PM
I've already searched the forum and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I am going to need to replace the sprockets on my 79' 110.
What is the advantage/disadvantages to using the stock style sprockets with the rubber dampeners verses a solid rear sprocket?
It looks like there is more choices as far as changing the gear ratio if you go solid.
I was thinking about gearing it down a bit for more low end power. Any thoughts?
Thanks for any input!

Mr_RPM
07-23-2010, 10:38 PM
i would leave it geared stock. stock sprockets have a vibration damper (rubber) to minimize noise from the chain, aftermarket stuff doesn't have them . but to me if the engineers from honda decided they wanted to spend the extra time on them its probably for a reason. but it probably doesn't matter much, just noisy and less quality feel with the solid ones
i hated my 110 when it was geared down. i find stock gearing with 22 inch tires to work best for me.
i mean you have 8 gears in total so not having enough torque shouldn't be a problem with stock gearing.

SWIGIN
07-24-2010, 09:41 AM
I hate rubber mounted sprockets for the fact that if it was a good idea they would still use it. Think of a high HP motor tugging on the rear rubber mounted sprocket, it will not run true. The rubber mounts will allow the sprocket to tilt to some degree.

I would go solid, I used a solid sprocket on my built up 110 and could not be happier.

shortline10
07-24-2010, 09:55 AM
I like the solid mounted sprockets also they def run more true and you have more tooth options . I believe honda used the rubber damp to save the life of the tranny and clutch parts . Remember these motors started out in motorcycles and the added extra weight of the atc drive train , tires and axle are rough on these parts .

Mr_RPM
07-25-2010, 12:29 AM
how much give or tilt do you possibly think those little dampeners give? probably not enough to tell.