PDA

View Full Version : First Ride on the BR!

coolpool
07-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Well after riding 4 wheelers since 1986, I finally took the BR I've been fixing up on a ride this week. Wow what a difference. You actually have to RIDE the machine, not like a quad where you can sit and forget about it. My daughter did end up tipping it over but both the machine and her were fine. I cringed as my pristine plastic hit the ground:( Am I wrong to feel guilty that it's getting dirty?

D-dub
07-23-2010, 01:04 PM
No, I hate getting my wheelers dirty also. Thrashing it in the sand is one thing, but I hate mud.
got:pics:

Mr_RPM
07-23-2010, 01:12 PM
haha I remember when i got back on my 110 after being on my yamaha warrior for a few years and was like holy crap. now when i get on a quad im always amazed by its stability lol.

3Wheel_Gunner
07-23-2010, 01:30 PM
No, I hate getting my wheelers dirty also. Thrashing it in the sand is one thing, but I hate mud.
got:pics:

I love taking mine out to the mud pits and getting an inch of grime on her, makes the car wash that much more fun.

inv3ctiv3
07-23-2010, 01:42 PM
I just did the opposite, I've been riding nothing but 3-wheelers and recently got a 400EX quad and am too amazed by the stability. I love both, the 3-wheeler is great for some stuff but so is the quad.

daniel_250r
07-23-2010, 01:48 PM
i just got a 300ex becuase my big red actualll seized the connecting rod and wow what a difference much easier machine to ride it just comes down to the fact that its much newer as far as reliability goes

code200k
07-23-2010, 03:00 PM
trikes are as stable as quads...

coolpool
07-23-2010, 03:05 PM

Highly doubt it! Simple geometry doesn't lie!

atc350xer
07-23-2010, 03:25 PM

Only if you take suspension out of the picture... a 3 legged stool will sit flat on uneven ground, a 4 legged stool will not... but what fun is stability? My minivan has that :lol:

coolpool
07-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Only if you take suspension out of the picture... a 3 legged stool will sit flat on uneven ground, a 4 legged stool will not... but what fun is stability? My minivan has that :lol:

Well said!

inv3ctiv3
07-23-2010, 04:35 PM

Sorry man I love trikes as much as all of you but that's just not true. It's not a good or bad thing but a fact, motorcycles are even more un-stable then a trike, hell they can't even stand up on their own haha! But the simple fact is that quads are much more stable then trikes and I love how "un-stable" my trike is, makes it more fun when riding.

Mr_RPM
07-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Sorry man I love trikes as much as all of you but that's just not true. It's not a good or bad thing but a fact, motorcycles are even more un-stable then a trike, hell they can't even stand up on their own haha! But the simple fact is that quads are much more stable then trikes and I love how "un-stable" my trike is, makes it more fun when riding.

^^^ this, well said

hang&rattle
07-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Stability, however, does not mean safer. A simple fact is my children. They had to have the quads taken away. They tipped them over and rolled them too often, to scary for a dad. And I need to mention they were smaller, less powerful quads than my kids current trikes. One of the reasons (other than 3-wheelers are what they like) we switched to 3-wheelers is my kids are now safer. This is a fact I have personally experienced with little kids. And I have had less wrecks on my trikes than 4-wheelers. I think the concentration and skill make the rider more aware on a trike, which makes the riding funner. Also, quads hurt more when you wreck on them, this I know personally also.

Mr_RPM
07-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Stability, however, does not mean safer. A simple fact is my children. They had to have the quads taken away. They tipped them over and rolled them too often, to scary for a dad. And I need to mention they were smaller, less powerful quads than my kids current trikes. One of the reasons (other than 3-wheelers are what they like) we switched to 3-wheelers is my kids are now safer. This is a fact I have personally experienced with little kids. And I have had less wrecks on my trikes than 4-wheelers. I think the concentration and skill make the rider more aware on a trike, which makes the riding funner. Also, quads hurt more when you wreck on them, this I know personally also.

i agree, trikes are simple to turn too. when you turn the bars thats how much the tire will turn. but on quads alot of the time the steering is very touchy and if your not used to it you will fly right off. as a kid i rode my 110 and a 86 200sx. then got on my neighbors polaris sportsman 90 (smaller and slower may i add) and yet the steering set up was different and i fell off the side on a sharper than expected turn. i was probably 9-10 when this happened.
i guess you could say the steering ratio on a trike is 1:1 but on a quad it can very. some times 1 inch of bar movement means 2 inches of tire movement. making it tricky for kids.
plus its easier to control just 1 tire rather than 2

coolpool
07-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Thought I'd throw a pic of my ride in before it got dirty!

83ATC185
07-23-2010, 07:41 PM
is that e-spec?

3Wheel_Gunner
07-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Thought I'd throw a pic of my ride in before it got dirty!

Beauty, But I would turn that front tire around. Thats just me.

factoryX
07-23-2010, 11:47 PM
okay, answer this then since quads are so much faster, how come trikes out ran all competition in the baja 1000? even coming 1st over all? They had quads during 85-86, and the trx250r is one of the best handling quads ever built even compared to today's joke for quads.

Mr_RPM
07-23-2010, 11:59 PM
okay, answer this then since quads are so much faster, how come trikes out ran all competition in the baja 1000? even coming 1st over all? They had quads during 85-86, and the trx250r is one of the best handling quads ever built even compared to today's joke for quads.

being more stable doesn't mean faster. to a new rider stable is faster because they dont know how to ride. 3 wheelers are lighter and can be ridden just as fast or faster with the right rider. some of the fastest machines arnt stable at all. stability is just a newb safety net. baja 1000 is alot of sand, and flat strait aways and the turns in the course are wide enough for trophy trucks to blast threw. so the advantage of being extra light and being nimble out weighed the advantage of stability since most of the tract is wide open stuff.
now on a MX track there is no way a trike will keep up IMO, but maybe with the right guy ya never know

factoryX
07-24-2010, 12:03 AM
okay here is a thing with modern mx tracks. Why does it have to be small tracks with big jumps? seems unfair to certain bikes, for example, when you only get a couple second faster lap time on a 450f than a 250f whats the point? its like a kx85 out running a cr500 in tight woods racing...

Mr_RPM
07-24-2010, 12:12 AM
yeah i hate modern MX tracks. esp supercross. they are in the air more than the ground. i suppose its because jumps entertain and entrainment is money. racing has turned into a entertainment money maker rather than being about the riding.
all the racers are douche bag (sorry for the language but its needed for this one) punks who think they are bad boy girl magnets who are way over payed.
it needs to be about the riding again and not the drama they seem to pump into it.
what really bothered me was the champ bubba Stewart knows nothing about his bike. when yamaha turned their cylinder around so the intake was up front and exhaust in the back, someone asked bubba how he liked the new layout and he said he didnt even know they did that.....sad
just MHO

Xpress
07-24-2010, 02:17 AM
Trikes can be just as stable as quads (or unstable- depends on your POV).

I think the common misconception is the maneuverability between the two.

coolpool
07-24-2010, 10:06 AM
is that e-spec?

Not sure what you mean, e-spec? I do know the front end is from an 85 BR for some unknown reason. I'll get around to putting the front tire on correctly some day.

daniel_250r
07-24-2010, 11:29 AM
were they a bolt on no problem?

inv3ctiv3
07-24-2010, 11:39 AM

You obviously never saw that dirtwheels article (I think it was dirtwheels) where they do a shoot out between the TRX and ATC 250R and the TRX was faster in every category due to the added stability. Trikes were faster in the Baja 1000 because that race doesn't involve turning like a MX track, it's basically go WOT over the roughest jumps and terrain that you can. I grew up riding both trikes and quads and I wrecked on more quads then I ever did on a trike and that's because I knew the trike took more skill/respect to ride compared to a quad. The reason people say quads are dangerous is that you can just zone out and feel comfy and not pay attention where as on a trike you have to constantly be thinking because at any given turn if you aren't paying attention you could flip. And Xpress, it is not POV issue, it's a fact that a quad is more stable and again I am NOT saying it is a good thing or quads are better but I try and be as un-biased as I can when it comes to this stuff. I prefer riding trikes but recently got a 400EX so I can race since here in CA there are no trike series.

I am not trying to bash 3-wheelers in any way at all, I LOVE them and my 350X is my favorite ATV I own but I don't like being blinded and biased by that, anyone that has ridden motorcycles, quads or trikes all know they each have their own pros and cons. Motos and quads both have their advantages over 3-wheelers but 3-wheelers have their advantages over the other two but it all comes down to what you prefer to ride and I think all of prefer the 3-wheels!

hublake
07-24-2010, 12:09 PM
This is something that will be debated as long as there are quads and three- wheelers. What came first the chicken or the egg?

hang&rattle
07-24-2010, 12:38 PM
The chicken (ask God), Three-wheelers (ask God) are just cool. And well said inv3ctiv3, for my kids trikes were what they wanted and what tended to be safer, mind you, my kids have great skills and balance from riding horses and passed down from their dad riding bulls for 17 years. I almost got my little girl an 83 it 125 quad, but the 2 I found was to far away and too expensive. Three-wheelers are more enexpensive also (to a point), and my Tecate is way faster than most any atc in MT, but I'm sure we don't have the skilled riders as other parts of the country and I am so good on trikes, if I showed up in a state with millions of people I'd probably get my lunch ate.

Xpress
07-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Having ridden a few quads (400ex, and a couple utility), I feel the safest on a Trike. Neither of the quads felt as safe as my trikes do.

Besides, quads have a training wheel up front ;)

Mr_RPM
07-25-2010, 04:15 PM
not being used to any machine will make you feel less safe.