PDA

View Full Version : 1985 250sx carb issues

antiny
07-18-2010, 09:03 PM
I am reviving a 250sx that was stored for about 10 years. Needless to say, it was pretty gummed up. I cleaned the carb, and installed a new pilot jet which was clogged beyond repair. I'm pretty sure it was cleaned thoroughly. When I fired it up, it idled very high. The idle adjustment makes no difference. The throttle cable does not seem to be binding up in any way, nor does the (cable) choke. I don't detect any leaks around the boot. I do have the airbox off. Is there anything I may have missed.

TheRealFatShady
07-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Check the choke plunger itself, on the end of the cable. They commonly broke off and get stuck to the inside of the carb. I have one like that, the cable snapped off of it.

Dirtcrasher
07-22-2010, 07:25 PM
If your choke is closed, then put the airbox top back on unless you have mods..... Make sure the filter is on or it would rev too.....

You've got years of gummed up fuel in there, I'd take every single jet out and the airscrew and soak it again.

You could have an airleak, but carb cleaner sprayed at it tells you that. More than likely you still have a gummed up carb and if it's a KEIHIN 02 then it won't start in the cold anyhow. I'd look for a Keihin 08 carb (used on the 86/7 250SX) or an 86 350X carb that fits with mods. Fits easy if you removal the snorkel.

Stay out of the water anyhow or get a jet ski and or boat for that :lol:

ailll1
07-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Theres more adjustments for the throttle cable
Where the cable screws on the carb is one and theres another one on the handlebar with a locknut

tri again
07-22-2010, 08:57 PM
not sure if theres a 'w' clip holding the main needle down but I've them slip/flip on older models and the idle goes wherever it wants..usually up

there is also a hidden emulsion tube under one of those jets.look closely and you can pull it out with a toothpick

just because the jets are clean or even new does NOT mean the internal passages are clear.

I blow thru them with clear fuel line under water to make sure bubbles come out

also nothing wrong with dipping the carb in screaming hot water with a little vinegar or lemon juice

i just dont enjoy taking off those newer carbs more than once

antiny
07-22-2010, 09:30 PM
I'll pull it off and give it another going through. I used half simple green, half HOT water, in my ultrasonic cleaner. Really worked like magic on the most gummed up carb I've ever seen. Pretty sure the internals were clear too, but will have to give it another go. Thanks for the tips, I'll double check all of this. Air filter is in the mail. NO fun wrestling with getting the carb on and off with the airbox on.

ktmbk
07-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Silly idea, but did you make sure the slide is not in backwards? I've seen it happen.

Dirtcrasher
07-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Your cable should be a rt angle at the top of the carb and an adjustment at the throttle, or you have the wrong cable..........

An idle stop is behind that black plastic cover too.......

antiny
07-23-2010, 10:34 PM
I adjusted the cable slack at the thumb throttle, and it worked just fine... Gotta love the forum help, probably would not even have thought to check it. I've got some more work to do on it, but coming back to life nicely...